New England Region

I am a part timer in a hub and wondering if we are allowed a second break between the 6th and 7th hour. Management said no but I think Contract states we are. Any input would be appreciated.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yes the contract states that a part-timer working over six (6.0) hours will be eligible for a 10 minute break.

Also, depending upon which state you are working in, you could also challenge that UPS is violating state laws. Massachusetts is six hours worked = 30 minutes unpaid lunch.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I am a part timer in a hub and wondering if we are allowed a second break between the 6th and 7th hour. Management said no but I think Contract states we are. Any input would be appreciated.

Very good.

You seem to know what Supplement you're under and what the language says.

Now, take the next step and file a grievance and get your break.

The Range

In too deep
A break or a second break? Management will read and interpret the last line to mean part-timers only get a 10-minute break after 6 hours worked.

Article 64

There will be two (2) ten (10) minute break periods each workday,
ten (10) minutes in the A.M. between the second (2nd) and third
(3rd) hours and ten (10) minutes in the P.M. between the sixth (6th)
and seventh (7th) hours. Part-time employees working on a shift
greater than six (6.0) hours or area practice will be eligible for a ten
(10) minute break.

Last edited:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
A break or a second break? Management will read and interpret the last line to mean part-timers only get a 10-minute break after 6 hours worked.

Not worded very well, is it?

We know it means PT employees get a 10 minute break between the 2nd and 3rd hour, then an additional 10 minute break if they work more than 6 hours, but the actual wording doesn't necessarily say that, does it?

Maplewood

They owe you 10 minutes of overtime for everyday you worked the required hours to get the second break. You should really have your agent file an et-al grievance for the whole sort. The company hates writing those checks znd you will get your breaks in the future. No big deal at all if the Drivers leave 10 min later.