New hire with a question

mileswallet

Hey guys. I've been lurking around here for some time while I was going through the hiring process. Now I'm happy to say I've been hired as a loader and have started cornerstone training this week!

I have one question. Yesterday, a snow storm hit the area where I work in TN. The roads were terrible. I showed up to work late, but not as late as the sup who was training us. In fact, only about a third of all employees showed up. The sort manager decided to put me and the other guy going through training with me to work as sorters (a job that we're not even training for). A sup gave us some quick instructions on how to do it, then we sorted for the entire shift.

My question is, since I was doing a job that would normally get higher pay, does that mean that I will get paid more than my starting 8.50/hr? Also, I worked more than 5 hours (past 10pm on the twilight shift), does that mean I get overtime? Or does overtime even exist here?

Nimnim

The Nim
The answer should be yes to both questions, but they might pull something funny about the sorter pay rate while in training. It'd be best to talk with a shop steward in your location for clarification though.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Hey guys. I've been lurking around here for some time while I was going through the hiring process. Now I'm happy to say I've been hired as a loader and have started cornerstone training this week!

I have one question. Yesterday, a snow storm hit the area where I work in TN. The roads were terrible. I showed up to work late, but not as late as the sup who was training us. In fact, only about a third of all employees showed up. The sort manager decided to put me and the other guy going through training with me to work as sorters (a job that we're not even training for). A sup gave us some quick instructions on how to do it, then we sorted for the entire shift.

My question is, since I was doing a job that would normally get higher pay, does that mean that I will get paid more than my starting 8.50/hr? Also, I worked more than 5 hours (past 10pm on the twilight shift), does that mean I get overtime? Or does overtime even exist here?

mileswallet,

We welcome you to the BrownCafe!:peaceful:

I think you should get the higher pay considering the circumstances but because you're pre-senority not sure that will happen. As far as overtime I've never heard of a part-time employee getting OT after 5 hrs and less than 8hrs getting it but I could be wrong..I'm sure somebody will let us know.

Good luck and we look forward to your future posts.

VinnyMod

Hey. I worked at UPS for 7+ years, 2 of which as a loader/puller, 5 as a part-time sup. In your cornerstone/training period, probationary period, you have zero rights. You need 30 working days in to be eligible for seniority, once granted then you become a member of the union. Then you would have to right to receive the $1.00 more an hour for the "skilled" position.

Hope this helps clarifiy.

-Vinny

VinnyMod

And to answer the 2nd part of your question normally you are eligible for overtime after 5 hours working in one day, or the 6th day worked in 1 week. I.e. Saturday sorts, assuming you worked M-friend.

However, being pre-seniority I don't beleive you're eligible to receive overtime. Not til your 30th working day is in the books.

-Vinny