New job at ups

Cementups

Box Monkey
Just seems so odd to me to see a $1.50 +/- sway in pay.
I'm always surprised to see that drivers in Los Angeles or even in NYC can survive on what we make with the housing market being as crazy as it is there. I can only figure they commute at least an hour each way to a cheaper area to live

ManInBrown

So I am just wondering how I can find out my hubs seniority list in depth. I start Monday in the hub and was wondering that it must be a good time where I am to shoot for the driver position. They are doubling the ups center in size. So is there a way to find out where seniority is?

I came from oilfield/ refinery work. I left a job making good money but I am tired of chasing it. Making it to pck car driver seems like a good career maybe. (Some people think I'm crazy.)
I would shoot for the stars. You can be center manager in no time

ManInBrown

The driver rate varies but only by pennies. As of tomorrow our rate in Central PA is $34.80 but there are other areas that make a few pennies more and others that make a few pennies less.
Wow. Nice. We don't hit that till 2-1-2018 in the 177. 10 cent raise tomorrow, to $33.77

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
back to the OP, if you have a CDL-A, why are you trying to downgrade yourself to become a package car driver?!?!

look for jobs that will utilize that license! don't start at the bottom of the barrel, hoping to hop into a package car.

heck, try FedEx HD or Ground first to see if you like driving to 100s of stops per day during peak season (check your local craigslist job boards ~transportation section "fedex" in the search bar) depending on your area some FedEx feeder contractors as well as package car contractors are both up in my area... currently, my hub is looking for half a dozen right now

or try applying to the peak season driver position at UPS in ~2 months... if you shine, and become one of those "off-the-street" drivers after new years, then you skip all of that waiting in the warehouse (YMMV since some hubs need drivers more badly than others )

DRIVER-X

So I am just wondering how I can find out my hubs seniority list in depth. I start Monday in the hub and was wondering that it must be a good time where I am to shoot for the driver position. They are doubling the ups center in size. So is there a way to find out where seniority is?

I came from oilfield/ refinery work. I left a job making good money but I am tired of chasing it. Making it to pck car driver seems like a good career maybe. (Some people think I'm crazy.)
Ask management or ask a steward to have them post it. Its there somewhere. They may not want to post it.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
"Downgrade yourself?"

i didn't elaborate, he's starting at the bottom moving boxes in the warehouse, without any prior experience driving/ running stops off from a package delivery vehicle...

some hubs will make you wait over 5 years from moving at the warehouse level to a driver seat... others, it can be lucky.

i was suggesting he try driving from the get-go... by applying for a driver position before peak time or use his CDL-A to be a feeder driver or something similar & go from there... that ratio of off-the-street hires still stands? & it's still YMMV depending on the area

driving a tractor trailer has it's ups/downs vs a package car driver (ask oldroadbeech, she seems to work at every job position at UPS LoL)

jprinzz

i didn't elaborate, he's starting at the bottom moving boxes in the warehouse, without any prior experience driving/ running stops off from a package delivery vehicle...

some hubs will make you wait over 5 years from moving at the warehouse level to a driver seat... others, it can be lucky.

i was suggesting he try driving from the get-go... by applying for a driver position before peak time or use his CDL-A to be a feeder driver or something similar & go from there... that ratio of off-the-street hires still stands? & it's still YMMV depending on the area

driving a tractor trailer has it's ups/downs vs a package car driver (ask oldroadbeech, she seems to work at every job position at UPS LoL)

Right well. The average time at my center is said to be around 1 year right now. Not only that the center is doubling in size (already under construction). The hub is in san antonio and they are doubling in size due to a amazon hub here. So that being said I figured it would just be a good time to maybe speed up the process of getting into a package car. You are right I have not done it, however working in the oilfield is equally as physical if not more actually. To me a job is a job I have yet to find the holy grail of jobs.

Heres a link to why it sounds like it would be a prime time to try and become a package car driver.

UPS Expands Operations At San Antonio Facility

(As for maninbrown your sarcasm is rather lame. You can do better.)