New loader having second thoughts

usedslugs

Hello, brand new to the site.

I'm currently on I think day 20 out of training, so around 25 days hired as a loader, honestly It's starting to wear on me already.

Perhaps out of haste of being offered the job did I not fully consider how physically demanding it is. I was first hired as a seasonal driver's assistant in November of last year, and a few months later applied to be a loader.

My questions arise out of my current situation. I see that UPS has a lot of good and a lot of bad to it, and I'm starting to think that someone in my situation might not benefit from the good as much as someone else potentially could.

I'm 18 5 months out of high school and attend community college with the aims of transferring to a university to pursue my life goals. Now the only reason why I have not flat out left UPS already is because of the college payment help, which I feel I could pay for by myself at another job ( my parents are aiding with the payment)

I have already started applying for other jobs (petco, a video store ect) I know that I could not load into the summer or much longer really, it's not even just the physically labor, but I can not stand the solitude and monotonicity of it, I need interaction with people to function.

My question arises what happens after your 30 days, I might be mistaken but are you allowed then to apply for different hourly positions in the company such as something life revenue recovery?

I ask this because without the potential of obtaining a less physically demanding position my time at UPS will be cut short.

I might be very wrong but how I will not make UPS my career in life, it currently does not seem like a good college job at all, and that they have the college payment option to lure in young strong people to do the physical work.

Thanks for any input

old levi's

blank space
Hello, brand new to the site.

I'm currently on I think day 20 out of training, so around 25 days hired as a loader, honestly It's starting to wear on me already.

Perhaps out of haste of being offered the job did I not fully consider how physically demanding it is. I was first hired as a seasonal driver's assistant in November of last year, and a few months later applied to be a loader.

My questions arise out of my current situation. I see that UPS has a lot of good and a lot of bad to it, and I'm starting to think that someone in my situation might not benefit from the good as much as someone else potentially could.

I'm 18 5 months out of high school and attend community college with the aims of transferring to a university to pursue my life goals. Now the only reason why I have not flat out left UPS already is because of the college payment help, which I feel I could pay for by myself at another job ( my parents are aiding with the payment)

I have already started applying for other jobs (petco, a video store ect) I know that I could not load into the summer or much longer really, it's not even just the physically labor, but I can not stand the solitude and monotonicity of it, I need interaction with people to function.

My question arises what happens after your 30 days, I might be mistaken but are you allowed then to apply for different hourly positions in the company such as something life revenue recovery?

I ask this because without the potential of obtaining a less physically demanding position my time at UPS will be cut short.

I might be very wrong but how I will not make UPS my career in life, it currently does not seem like a good college job at all, and that they have the college payment option to lure in young strong people to do the physical work.

Thanks for any input

You have already convinced yourself it's in your best interest to leave, so you really don't need any input. UPS isn't for everyone; the work is physical and demanding.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS is the perfect college job--work 3-5 hours a day, put a few $$ in your pocket and get a workout while doing so.

Are you allowed to wear i-Pods or MP3 players in your center? This may help make the time go by faster for you.

Moving to a different job is done by seniority and with only 5 months in you will need to be patient and wait your turn.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Just remember there are no guarantees in life, and there is no rehiring. ;)

When I started in 2001, 22 years old, was going to school - working PT at UPS - and working odd jobs.

Finished school, landed a fairly good job for the time and stayed at UPS PT. I was laid off a year later in 2004 from the professional job and had to work two-three jobs until 2006 when I got a FT job at UPS.

obviously this is a fairly anomalous example, but it can happen.

work hard, play hard. :)

robot

Has A Large Member
I think loading trailer or package cars are the worst jobs at ups. I did it for 4 years and I wanted to quit everyday...

steeltoe

It ia not the part-time job it used to be. When I started 22 years ago the pay was $8.00 per hour, free health insurance, and weekends off. All 3 were worth the intense labor. I left my first job at the mall making $4.00 per hour and no benefits. No brainer for me. Made great money and could still do the college life. If not a career job for you, then get a job somewhere else. It is not worth it if you can find something that will help you get started in your field of choice.

dillweed

I have to agree with threadkiller on this one. It sounds as if you are certain that this isn't the job for you and it just isn't right for lots of people. The work and pace are demanding and that won't change, even on the sort aisle. It's also trying for those who have a need to use their minds. UPS doesn't want our minds, it wants our bodies. I'm not speaking for drivers here, just pt laborers.

On the plus side are the good hours, steady work and benefits. You're still shaping up and getting used to the physical aspect. That should improve once your muscles really get strong. If you can hang in there for a few weeks your feelings might improve. But keep your eyes open for something that would be more satisfying to you.

Eighteen years ago I was working on my college degree and took a pt job at UPS. I was in my mid-thirties. Two years later I finished my degree but found that no entry level job was going to pay the amount I was making at UPS and they couldn't match the benefits. I tried several pt jobs in my field in addition to UPS and realized that office work wasn't for me. I'm still at UPS, on the sort aisle. To be honest, I resent the stupidity of the work but like the physical aspect. I have found different ways to use my mind but also fear my body will wear out long before I get 25 years in. Did I make the right choice, I think so considering the hard economic times and loss of so many professional jobs.

However, you are just starting out in your education and will have the opportunity to switch majors and make the moves toward more success in your field. We just don't know what the future will bring but if you're determined enough you can make your dreams come true. Best of luck, make your decision and don't look back!

usedslugs

Thank you for the post.

I would be lying to myself if the second I walked in there I knew that I could not do this, the last good thing left is the uncertainty of the future and that Ups can provide a decent job, but really I think I would much rather take the risk and do what I want with my life...

curiousbrain

As a relatively young man myself, I can look back and honestly say that if you don't take chances while your young, when will you?

Take a chance and stay at UPS, or take a chance and try elsewhere; regardless, be intelligent about your approach - something all to many of the people our relative age(s) do not attempt. For example, if you decide to leave UPS, at least have something lined up so that you are not doing nothing at all - even if that something else is not a dream job, it is something. If you decide to stay at UPS, take every opportunity to prove yourself reliable and find a job related to your degree - it may or may not lead anywhere, but that is what taking chances are about.

The great thing about being young is that you can afford to take a chance and miss, but still have the time left to pick yourself up and try again. By the time your thirty, that luxury rapidly vanishes (perhaps sooner or later for others).

Good luck to you regardless of what you decide.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Preload is a curse and a bad omen. But you really have to find the underlining benefit of the job to gain its enjoyment. One, the job runs and fills economy demands. Without this business, America wouldnt be what it is. No matter what they say about how volume has dropped, this place will always be a necessity. Two, this type of job will never be the the one to be exported to foreign lands. As many of those great American jobs out there, up and left to set up shop in China. Why pay someone 20$ an hour when you can pay someone 20$ a week who will do a better job and never complain. UPS is in a pickle with this option, as they cant export a package car across the ocean, load it and bring it back to deliver ( yet I'm sure their working on that one as we speak ).

Lastly, this job is outstanding when you really break it down, as I've said before and for the things I will say now. Most full time jobs I've had before never paid me this much as this part time job. Working 40 hours plus never paid out like this has for me. Plus the benefits, vacation and future opportunities this job is full potential. Not to menction the two days off on the weekend, its what makes it worth it for me alone.

I understand your complaint, but really think about it here. 70% of Americans wont do our job, even with a bad economy. With that amount, finding ways to prosper from such odds are obvious and fulfilling.

My advice to you is to give up all feelings, thoughts and emotions. Become a hard core basterd and evolve into a beast of a human being that will shatter any and all dilemmas. This job will teach you more then just loading package cars. It will teach you about the system, about yourself and how much of a badass you want to really be. Forget pain, suffering and emotions, this isnt the place for it.

Become the rock!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
i started at age 18. 21 years ago, part time as well. I have been driving now for 18 years and make about $75,000 a year plus a pension worth about $3000 a month when I retire at age 50, as well as free insurance. Not real sure how many other jobs in my area offer nearly what I get for no education.

Just something to consider, however it does sound like your not the type to do this job.

usedslugs

Thank you for the post, My current situation is that I will start looking for a job that I know will somewhat/hopefully enjoy while i'm in college, that is my main focus, to finish college!.

My dream would to own/manage my own restaurant and I don't think thats too far of a goal!.

But I thought it was funny that today was the first 6 hour shift I had... things got bad...very bad...

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
yup,, you sound too lazy for this job,, not a month in and allready boo- hooin,,,part time is as easy as it gets at ups

Armand Lanctot

I have been with the compagnie for 20 years and its not the job its UPS killing their staff, over working them so they can fill their pockets so they could have that nice flash go off when they donate monies to a charity.its all about that flash. Here, for every 20 they hire maybe 1 will stay. If you think its not for you dont stay because once your at full rate it hard to leave.

UPSGUY72

Working at UPS isn't for everyone. Your young and sooner or later will learn that nothing in life comes easy. Even with a college degree there is no guarantee that you are going to get a good secure job that pays you well and has good benefits. UPS is a great job for people going to college because they have a early morning and even shifts that allows you to make a little money and still attend classes.

Good luck on what ever you choose but understand if you quit UPS you will not get rehired.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
my first two years, i wanted to quit literally every day

my last six months have been decent though, the doubled paychecks goes a long way towards that

usedslugs

I will not lie in that I feel that I could provide much more than just loading boxes already, and to be honest the people in my corner stone class could not even read...

That being said this is a very humbling experience to me, everything has been handed to me up until this point, i'll take it as a life learning experience for now.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
i started at age 18. 21 years ago, part time as well. I have been driving now for 18 years and make about $75,000 a year plus a pension worth about $3000 a month when I retire at age 50, as well as free insurance. Not real sure how many other jobs in my area offer nearly what I get for no education.

Just something to consider, however it does sound like your not the type to do this job.

One of the last remaining jobs in the country that somene can earn a good living and retirement.