New OT Policy En Route

Guitarman01

generous?
5 sick days and if you don't take them you get a weeks worth of pay? Yeah a lot of companies don't do that either. On another note an 8 percent match to a 6 percent contribution to a 401k also isn't very common. Their vision insurance was also very good. I didn't even have to pay for my contacts. I know that just changed and I'm guessing it's not better.

A lot of this could be changing. The point is to compare it to other basic unskilled job positions and without a union, education or trait a person doesn't really have a lot of bargaining chips. They will call your bluff, go find something else then. Do better, see what's really out there for you.
I should add some will be able to do better, but a lot won't. A person spent years of their life delivering and picking up packages. How will that transfer on a resume? It will be the worst for those stuck in the middle.

Last edited:

yadig

Yes, it's time to Indian give
Everything is going away, at this point you gotta be an idiot to stay/ride it out with a company like fedex.

The light at the end of the tunnel is the company closing down in about 5 years.
FedEx is gonna be just another second rate transportation company. UPS will eventually take all the profitable customers, like usps, Amazon, cardinal, etc.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
FedEx is gonna be just another second rate transportation company. UPS will eventually take all the profitable customers, like usps, Amazon, cardinal, etc.
Don’t underestimate our ability to lose customer accounts.

Y’all may have a head start in the race to the bottom, but we’re coming in hot.

Aquaman

Don’t underestimate our ability to lose customer accounts.

Y’all may have a head start in the race to the bottom, but we’re coming in hot.
Yep. We essentially told USPS their account wasn’t big enough. Not worth it. Keep in mind no other customer using FedEx shipped more……

bacha29

Indeed . Simply go out to the interstate and watch for awhile . At least on the one I use FDX trucks are by far the most commonly seen trucks on that road and in both directions. It in turn makes it look more and more like FDX will indeed be simply a package and LTL ground freight company that flies a little air freight but only when it has to.

Yeah I never understood the whole race to the bottom crap are two companies seem to be pulling
They want to get out of unprofitable business and do everything I can to eliminate to the last mile delivery

I still can't figure out the partnership with the United States postal service flying there overnight packages when UPS offered a big buy on too many pilots

Aquaman

I mean clearly they saw profit in it. If the contract proposed was as bad as FedEx made it sound, nobody would want it. The problem is FedEx’s operation. It’s been built up with planes, pilots, handlers and RTD’s to shuttle & fly A LOT of postal. When the volume dropped the SETUP they had wasn’t worth it. Doesn’t mean the contract wasn’t worth it. Just means FedEx would rather eliminate the operation than heavily adjust it. However you slice it, losing the contract was a massive loss and the company was very very dumb for doing so.

It will be fine

I mean clearly they saw profit in it. If the contract proposed was as bad as FedEx made it sound, nobody would want it. The problem is FedEx’s operation. It’s been built up with planes, pilots, handlers and RTD’s to shuttle & fly A LOT of postal. When the volume dropped the SETUP they had wasn’t worth it. Doesn’t mean the contract wasn’t worth it. Just means FedEx would rather eliminate the operation than heavily adjust it. However you slice it, losing the contract was a massive loss and the company was very very dumb for doing so.
UPS gained quite a bit of leverage over the terms of the contract after FedEx pulled out. It’s not like there’s another option with an air footprint big enough.

zeev

FedEx’s biggest customer was USPS , planes were run during the day when they would sit idle, Mail was moved from the ramp by mail contractors. They are downsizing air drastically so no need for this contract. , for 20 years the contract was fine, and now UPS is gearing up to take it.

SmithBarney

The biggest hit here isn't the OT per day, but it's going to be the non worked hrs... such as Vacation days, if you get 8hrs for a Vacation/holiday/sick day, that 8 hrs isn't included in your 40...

so if Monday is a holiday, you get 8... in order for you to get any OT you'll have to work over 40hrs the remaining days of the week...

so many senior couriers have broken up vacation weeks, taking Fridays all summer(or something like that) these people aren't getting any OT...