New Preload PT Sup

Alright so I've been with UPS for about 7 months now, starting as a seasonal driver. Once the work ran out as a driver, I was desperate and took a job as a preload pt sup and oh baby, what have I done to myself..... So it goes like this, they show me the paperwork that is to be done everyday and, actually that's the extent of my training. I went to Intergrad for driving and had a great experience, so I was somewhat surprised when I wasn't trained for a supervisor position. It's only been 3 months but this is what I've gathered, I'm responsible for the work of 8 people and 28 trucks, if anything goes wrong, it is all my fault. I got guys who slave to load 255 pph and my bosses ask me why they are stacked out. (while sweat is streaming down my face due to me helping the loader so the packages down fall down on him) My bosses tell me that I am not to work but I am to simultaneously make sure the trucks get loaded even I have to do it myself. They say "safety first" they will throw so much down the belt that there is no virtual way the loaders can safely do their jobs. I'm just surprised with that a company can operate this way for as long as it has. Everyday is chaos, the workers and management are always at each other's throats and there are a lot of "the policy says this but we actually do this". Like the 27.5 hours a week thing, say I work 7 hours one day, I am expected to only log 5.5 or the time will be "unacceptable". It seems my bosses greatest talents are lying to themselves about how things run there. If I have an employee with a problem, they think the best solution is to yell it out of them. Common sense tells me that's not true, but here it seems common sense is frowned upon. So my question is, how am I supposed to deal with all of this BS? Does anyone have any words of wisdom, and not the whole "grow some balls" talk cause well, balls will get you through a tough situation but wisdom will help you get you through a tough season in life.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Welcome to the wonderful world of ups management. You didn't want to be a loader and bust your ass working hard...so you CHOSE this. You speak of "wisdom"...well, the wise choice would've been to remain a union employee. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out.

Last edited:
I feel like I've put too much hope in the maturity of the potential responses. Alright look, it wasn't a matter off work, it was a matter of pay and future. I was offered a driving position because I worked so hard, the catch was that I'd have to wait for the 7th driving position to open up in a few months and I didn't have enough money to pay bills with no income for those months. It was either 9.50 hour for loader or pass a test and make 14.50. I don't want to be with UPS forever so this seemed like the smartest route. Oh, and my other job is a part time order builder at Coca-Cola. Be careful not to assume too much about someone you don't know. You could come out looking like a maroon.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I feel like I've put too much hope in the maturity of the potential responses. Alright look, it wasn't a matter off work, it was a matter of pay and future. I was offered a driving position because I worked so hard, the catch was that I'd have to wait for the 7th driving position to open up in a few months and I didn't have enough money to pay bills with no income for those months. It was either 9.50 hour for loader or pass a test and make 14.50. I don't want to be with UPS forever so this seemed like the smartest route. Oh, and my other job is a part time order builder at Coca-Cola. Be careful not to assume too much about someone you don't know. You could come out looking like a maroon.
You are a PT sup....your chances of going from that position to driver is very slim, regardless of what you were told, promised, etc. My PT sup (and many other PT sups) make less an hour than some of the employees they are paid to "supervise". Who's the maroon?
Lesson: don't believe everything you're told by your FT sups.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
image.jpeg
Alright so I've been with UPS for about 7 months now, starting as a seasonal driver. Once the work ran out as a driver, I was desperate and took a job as a preload pt sup and oh baby, what have I done to myself..... So it goes like this, they show me the paperwork that is to be done everyday and, actually that's the extent of my training. I went to Intergrad for driving and had a great experience, so I was somewhat surprised when I wasn't trained for a supervisor position. It's only been 3 months but this is what I've gathered, I'm responsible for the work of 8 people and 28 trucks, if anything goes wrong, it is all my fault. I got guys who slave to load 255 pph and my bosses ask me why they are stacked out. (while sweat is streaming down my face due to me helping the loader so the packages down fall down on him) My bosses tell me that I am not to work but I am to simultaneously make sure the trucks get loaded even I have to do it myself. They say "safety first" they will throw so much down the belt that there is no virtual way the loaders can safely do their jobs. I'm just surprised with that a company can operate this way for as long as it has. Everyday is chaos, the workers and management are always at each other's throats and there are a lot of "the policy says this but we actually do this". Like the 27.5 hours a week thing, say I work 7 hours one day, I am expected to only log 5.5 or the time will be "unacceptable". It seems my bosses greatest talents are lying to themselves about how things run there. If I have an employee with a problem, they think the best solution is to yell it out of them. Common sense tells me that's not true, but here it seems common sense is frowned upon. So my question is, how am I supposed to deal with all of this BS? Does anyone have any words of wisdom, and not the whole "grow some balls" talk cause well, balls will get you through a tough situation but wisdom will help you get you through a tough season in life.

No, i was offered the driving position, before, I took, the PT, position. I just had to wait on it to open. I know I'm not getting it now. I NEEDED this job, I didn't want it. I'm a worker, not some jackass who expects the unreasonable. I had to take it to pay bills but now I'm trying to figure out how to make it work. I know the earning potential is less but it's a heck of a lot more than zero.

km3

It actually would have been $10.15 to load, assuming you're located anywhere in the United States.

Going the PT Sup route was a mistake, but you couldn't have known that if all you've done is drive seasonally. The only thing you can do now is try and make the best of it. Maybe not the advice you wanted, but it's pretty much all you can do.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It actually would have been $10.15 to load, assuming you're located anywhere in the United States.

Going the PT Sup route was a mistake, but you couldn't have known that if all you've done is drive seasonally. The only thing you can do now is try and make the best of it. Maybe not the advice you wanted, but it's pretty much all you can do.
$11 to start on preload here.

billerz

I'd would take some time and decide if ups is what you really want to do. The scenario you described is what a lot of us deal with everyday as well, just we are mostly on the other side and have the union to back us up. There are a a lot of opportunities in ups besides driving, and pt sup is a good starting point. If you want to be with ups for the long haul, You'll have to adapt and change your mentality to fit in with the chaos. Good luck, and btw I've known two pt sups that went ft driving, one of them frogged leaped into ft management after about 6 months driving.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Like the 27.5 hours a week thing, say I work 7 hours one day, I am expected to only log 5.5 or the time will be "unacceptable". It seems my bosses greatest talents are lying to themselves about how things run there.
There's an attorney running ads on tv everyday here who would probably love to have you as a client.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
You need to understand that what you are describing will be your life,every day for the remainder of time you spend at UPS.You will never ever advance,your raises will be minimal and your healthcare costs will increase every year and EVERYTHING will be your fault.
UPS will wring you out until you are a dried husk then toss you aside for another fresh faced eager beaver.

wayfair

swollen member
You need to understand that what you are describing will be your life,every day for the remainder of time you spend at UPS.You will never ever advance,your raises will be minimal and your healthcare costs will increase every year and EVERYTHING will be your fault.
UPS will wring you out until you are a dried husk then toss you aside for another fresh faced eager beaver.
depends...

Box Ox

I think one of the saddest things for a PT sup has to be when the people they went in with start going full time driving.

I don't want to be with UPS forever so this seemed like the smartest route.

Most don't until the pay and benefits really start to kick in.

I was offered a driving position because I worked so hard, the catch was that I'd have to wait for the 7th driving position to open up in a few months and I didn't have enough money to pay bills with no income for those months.

I'd bet your higher ups already have someone else in mind for that outside hire driving position. Everybody who's able to stick around works hard. And somebody in your regional management pool who's been around for a while is probably gonna get it. And you'll just get shoulder shrugs. I've seen PT sups from a long way away be brought in under the ratio. Zero consideration for the PT sups at my location.

Management would tell union hourlies they'd get a unicorn upon "promotion" into a PT sup position if they thought they'd believe it.

Mustacheyouaquestion

60 minute lunch

Umm.. no. sorry chap, maybe quit ya I'd quit if I were you! 14 bucks an hour to get pooped on and always be wrong. ya my advice get out now. You seem smart enough to realize how crazy management can be good luck in your future endeavors. Also don't touch the packages that's my job and your stealing my brothers work. #Grievance

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
What most of us have seen is the daily chaos you're describing. Some days a little better, some a lot worse.

Just as an FYI, most hourly employees are offered the pt sup position early in their careers, due to, as you can rightly understand now, high turnover. Most decline it and take a second job elsewhere til their ship comes in.

If you can hang on, there's a small chance you will be offered a driving slot in the future, depending on the rotation at your location, and what other mgmt person that might also be in line for that same spot. The most likely scenario though, is that you will be offered ft sup instead.

If you take the ft sup route, you will probably be the one responsible for dictating and creating the chaos for the pt sup who replaces you. It's not always pretty, but it's somewhat predictable.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Well how about this, considering everything, including the fact after both jobs and class I only get around 4-5 hours of sleep plus a nap if I'm lucky, I'm going to keep this position up until it becomes applicable on my resume. Once that happens there really won't be much left in it for me to gain from this role. Honestly, 6 months is the goal. I don't feel like having a heart attack by 35, which is bound to happen at if I stay this course.