New PT Steward

Mst3k

Ignore contract violations and make nice with management so that you won't have to do any work... That's what our part time stewards do.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I just went through this with my ex wife. She became a steward a few months ago and had so many questions for me and still has them occasionally. Be like her and find a good friend/colleague who know their union stuff (a past steward would be very helpful too). Get out your union book and read it, but really focus on the things that pertain to you. ie. if you're not dealing with drivers, just skim through that stuff. My ex highlighted the areas that she had to use for grievances and that way can find them easy when they come up again. Also have at least 2 or 3 contract books at home/work for when the spine breaks, and have it in a handy location.

Be nice to your teamster friends, but make things clear. My ex had a hard time telling people not to bother her on her break, but now is clear. And know that an employee off the clock can bother you on the clock about union related items, but if they are getting paid it's stealing time. If the employee is on the clock, she tells people to go back to work until they have punched out then come see her (unless it's a safety issue or is having a meeting with a supervisor and is required).

Get to know how grievances should be worded and be friends with your BA. Don't become friends with all PT employee full time supervisors, but don't become their enemy either. You'll be there to assist your fellow union member, so speak directly from the contract. Don't make anything up. If you don't know an answer, just say you don't know, but then find out. There is no shame in not knowing. You will learn.

A steward that respects and follows the contract is the best kind.
How hots the ex?

22.34life

It's a learning process for sure.the thing I have learned is that u can't help everyone with every issue sometimes u have to tell people this is what it is and that's it.u see the contract may say one thing but I can have it done this way if it helps the member but beware because people will start treating u like their own personal Jesus.

22.34life

The better steward u are the more people will come to u for help.make no mistake about it it gets stressful and time consuming.so it's like the better u are the harder it gets to help everyone.man in reality it sucks no extra pay and a Lotta extra responsibility.yea u have a ba but really it's gonna be u on an island so learn to handle as much stuff on ur own as u can.