New retirement vacation policy

upscorpis

Almost 250 comments reflecting the poor reception of this policy change on UPSers. My take - Scooter Lowprice wants more savings on the next round of not so voluntary retirements. Red tag sale on those that are still in the cross hairs. Cleanup on aisle 35 (sorely needed).

Popeye

Sounds like they are getting ready to go after the people who are eligible to retire but didn’t take the VRP. Pricks!

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
My retirement date was May 31, 2018. My last day in the office was in April. I appreciated the 6 week vacation so much. It was a wonderful gift from a company I cherished for decades. I actually bragged about UPS on this point. Taking it away is a terrible, mean-spirited decision. I feel so sorry for my partners who haven't left yet. I am heart broken.

bowhnterdon

My retirement date was May 31, 2018. My last day in the office was in April. I appreciated the 6 week vacation so much. It was a wonderful gift from a company I cherished for decades. I actually bragged about UPS on this point. Taking it away is a terrible, mean-spirited decision. I feel so sorry for my partners who haven't left yet. I am heart broken.
They have been mean -spirited since November 1999, just wait, more to come...

33in2togo

Easily could have phased this in with a step down. Retire in 2019 get 5 weeks, in 2023 get 4 weeks, in 2027 3 weeks. There will be very few 30 plus year employees moving forward. Those with early in year birthday or seniority date will simply stay until accrued vacation is reached.

brownIEman

A little chip at a time. Sigh.

I remember when the vacation accrual came in, early 2000's. I remember thinking then the policy itself was fair, but springing it just before a new year begins was unnecessarily harsh.

brownIEman

Since August 1997!

Agreed. Most people miss that the changes occurring in the market actually created the circumstances precipitating the showdown in 97, which the company of course lost. What happened in November'99 was one symptom of that loss. Most folks identify the 99 event as the cause of all the rest of the symptoms.

Just my take.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
They have been mean -spirited since November 1999, just wait, more to come...

Agreed. Most people miss that the changes occurring in the market actually created the circumstances precipitating the showdown in 97, which the company of course lost. What happened in November'99 was one symptom of that loss. Most folks identify the 99 event as the cause of all the rest of the symptoms.

Just my take.
Going public had been considered for over 15 years prior to 1999.
The market conditions were there prior to 1997 but the Board was reluctant to go public because they knew it would change the culture at UPS and the Board and Management Committee felt a paternal loyalty to its employees ... both Union and non-Union.
After the disloyalty and abandonment by the Union employees in 1997, that sense of loyalty and paternal relationship was gone and so the UPS BOD and Management Committee made the change to go public.
It's all current history after that.

Like you, I am completely perplexed how many of the Union employees do not understand that 1997 was a turning point in UPS's decision to go public.

UPSER1987

Most here haven’t been around long enough to know or don’t educate themselves to know the origins. Most people just blindly agree with the majority of anything as its the easiest path.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Most here haven’t been around long enough to know or don’t educate themselves to know the origins. Most people just blindly agree with the majority of anything as its the easiest path.
Especially since there is nothing anyone can do about it.
I do agree with the sentiment ... I remember saying in 2003 that in 20 years, all the people who had paternal expectations of UPS would be gone and then all the resentments would be gone.
I was perhaps underestimated the persistence of memory.

Persistence of Memory - Dali.jpg

The Real Jack RyanMI6

Going public had been considered for over 15 years prior to 1999.
The market conditions were there prior to 1997 but the Board was reluctant to go public because they knew it would change the culture at UPS and the Board and Management Committee felt a paternal loyalty to its employees ... both Union and non-Union.
After the disloyalty and abandonment by the Union employees in 1997, that sense of loyalty and paternal relationship was gone and so the UPS BOD and Management Committee made the change to go public.
It's all current history after that.

Like you, I am completely perplexed how many of the Union employees do not understand that 1997 was a turning point in UPS's decision to go public.

To: Old Man J.
I was not around in 97 I came I just after that would you please elaborate, I guess what I'm asking is for your opinion on a hypothetical. What would UPS be like to work for had the strike not occurred, when or if we would be a public company. Would pt employees stayed full time, ( i understand there was a time all were ft) what would Wages for pt and ft and management be at current or below or higher. 22.4s would they exist, etc... I know I've only gone into a very few subjects as that type of change would have effected each and every aspect of the business. Please elaborate as much as you care to or can give your experiences within the UPS system and culture. Thanks JR

trickpony1

I'm not sure I agree.

Going public benefited two groups of people:
1) the already filthy rich descendants of the already filthy rich founding fathers and;

2) the managers and supervisors who were rewarded with stock and "hypo-loaned" their home, wife, kids and collected beer cans to buy stock when it split (like rabbits).

The PTer and FTer that buys $50 of stock every payday really isn't benefiting.

Going public had nothing to do with 1997.

I'm not sure I agree.

Going public benefited two groups of people:
1) the already filthy rich descendants of the already filthy rich founding fathers and;

2) the managers and supervisors who were rewarded with stock and "hypo-loaned" their home, wife, kids and collected beer cans to buy stock when it split (like rabbits).

The PTer and FTer that buys $50 of stock every payday really isn't benefiting.

Going public had nothing to do with 1997.
We wasn't even allowed to buy stock until shortly before they went public

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I'm not sure I agree. Going public benefited two groups of people:
3) The PTer and FTer that buys $50 of stock every payday really isn't benefiting as much.

WTF) Going public had nothing to do with 1997.
I will not argue with your first three points.

However, I know that 1997 strike changed many of the Board and all of the Management Committee minds.
UPS would have gone public at some point but not in 1999. My hypothetical guess would be maybe 2005 or so.
In 1998, there was a whole lot of talk how the strike had changed things ... I bought $100,000 worth of UPS stock
in 1998 based on the rumors (that's not insider trading BTW).
I hypoed a total of three times to buy UPS Stock.