New server?

over9five

Staff member
Cheryl, did you get that new server yet? The website is still very slow. I click to change pages, and then go read Teamsternet for a while while I'm waiting for the BrownCafe page to change!

Is it just me? It's only this website.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Over9five.....funny you should mention this. Since I returned from being away 10 days, I had a lot of reading to catch up with and found the site to be speedier than when I left. I was going to post something about things being faster on the Browncafe.

Looks like you're having the opposite experience. :sad:

over9five

Staff member
Actually, it is faster for me today. Some days, tho, it literally takes MINUTES to change pages. (I really hate that!!!)

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
We got the new dedicated server last week.

It was up and running on Thursday. We've had a couple of little glitches to iron out but they have all been fixed.

Monday there was a problem with Amazon's ad servers which slowed the site down. I had to temporarily pull their ads until they fixed their problem. Other than that I 'm not aware of any other issues that would slow the site down from the server.

There are some things I can't control, such as bottlenecks as the data is transmitted between geographic locations of our users and the the origin of the Web page at the server. If there is heavy traffic creating a bottleneck somewhere between this server and your house that can cause delays. In order for me to overcome that kind of issue we'd need to use a [wiki]content delivery network [/wiki]and this site couldn't possibly pay for something like that.

Please do let me know if you continue to experience delays. I can notify the techs at our hosting company and see if they have any suggestions.

over9five

Staff member
Just now when I clicked to enter this thread it took a while and then went to the "can't connect to this website" page. Had to hit "back" and try again.

It is better than it has been.

Dfigtree

Just now when I clicked to enter this thread it took a while and then went to the "can't connect to this website" page. Had to hit "back" and try again.

Have you tried tuning Windows/IE with Defrag Utility and Internet Tools delete choices?

rod

Retired 22 years

I went for 2 months without being able to log on to browncafe. Spent many hours trying to find out why. NO ONE could help me. (every geek I know tried) All I ever got was the "can't connect to this website page" . Finally about a week or 2 ago it just started working again on it's own. No one knows why. Friggin computers!!! :) Browncafe was the ONLY site I couldn't get on.

satellitedriver

I have the same situation. It only happens on BC, very slow between pages. Almost like my computer is locked up. It can go for minutes.
One thing I have learned, and I have no idea why it works, is when I click to go to a new thread while the next page is loading I double click the refresh button and BAM the page downloads. If I do not double click the refresh button, it can take up to two minutes for the new page to appear.
Why it works, I do not know. But, it works.
PS,
I even have to do the same thing, when I post a reply.
PAX

satellitedriver

I went for 2 months without being able to log on to browncafe. Spent many hours trying to find out why. NO ONE could help me. (every geek I know tried) All I ever got was the "can't connect to this website page" . Finally about a week or 2 ago it just started working again on it's own. No one knows why. Friggin computers!!! :) Browncafe was the ONLY site I couldn't get on.
Hey Rod,
I had the same thing happen to me, except I could not access my Hotmail account. I could go anywhere else on the net. After talking with every geek I met and trying everything they said, I talked to a friend who worked in the oilfield(not a expert geek). He said," reinstall IE 7 you probably have a corrupted file,". He was right.
You might be set up on automatic updates from windows and some how that patched things.
You can tell I am not a geek, by this post. I can only type with three fingers.
PAX