New sorter in small sorts

drazzy93

Sorry to tell you if you only have 15 people working in your hub , then you are in a small hub

Okay... 5,000 on a particularly busy day, but it is usually around 2,500 to 3,500. I may be new, but I know what I'm talking about. My supervisors are literally always raving to me about the job I'm doing. PT and FT supervisors have personally approached me to say, "You are the best employee in small sorts I've ever met in my life." Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

ALL of the baggers at my hub tried to become sorters, but I was the only one who passed the test run out of the current baggers. My coworker wants to sort really badly, but she's just too slow for it. I was used to bagging 5,000 packages in one night by the time I did my test run, and my supervisors knew they could count on me so I became a sorter much faster than everyone else.

My supervisor told me specifically, "We're going to put you in sorting because we know you can keep up." A slow day might be 1,200 to 2,000, an average day is 2,500-3,500, a really busy day is 3,500 to 6,000. I know these are the right numbers because my supervisor is basically my friend, and there is also a computer in my hub that shows ALL the numbers for every bin. Small sorts is notoriously "easy," but the fact is that only the hard workers make it through probation in my hub.

I seriously considered quitting multiple times in the beginning because I couldn't stand having 10 active bins needing to be emptied at any given time when I was bagging, but I toughed it out. I became the best employee out of everyone despite being the newest member, and then I watched newbies come in, then run for the door in the middle of their shifts. When I was sorting on Friday I had to yell at my bagger to hurry the hell up because I had a bin that had been full for 15 minutes straight.

When I went around the bin, I saw him, drenched in sweat, panting, running back and forth. I remembered these days where I was like him, so I was nice enough to do the bins for him. The fact is that the small sorts hub at my location is NOT easy.

drazzy93

Sorry to tell you if you only have 15 people working in your hub , then you are in a small hub

I wasn't being literal. Okay, for the sake of accuracy, I will come up with a better estimate. OK, you see, we usually have 10-11 bins open, so let's say one sorter for each of these. So, 10-12 sorters plus the 2 baggers for each bin comes to 22-24. So, 32-36 employees in total. I do consider that small, but I fail to see how that disproves anything I say, so I'm not sure why you are "sorry."

drazzy93

Pretty sure your so awesome they will ask you to be a PT sup

I would accept it wholeheartedly. I'm not trying to make a career out of UPS, and I could use the 5 dollar raise along with how fantastic of a resume filler it would be. It's not good for people who want to become a driver, I'm aware. I may be new, but I have researched everything extensively.

I Just Wanna Go Home

It's nearing peak season... Sups will say anything to make people stick around so they don't have as many new people not knowing what their doing when peak hits. Don't let the "you're the best ever" go to your head. It's probably a lie. You might be good, but you'll never be good enough in ups eyes. If you want to know if you got the pay raise go to the upsers site and look up your paycheck. Had a sup here tell a guy during peak he was making base driver wage because he was so good at preloading. Needless to say the guy found out he wasn't making driver wage and quit. Idk if Sup got fired or quit but he was gone shortly after. Only reason I'm posting is cause you come off as very arrogant and :censored2:y. TLDR: look at your paycheck online for raise. Stop acting like a ho.

drazzy93

It's nearing peak season... Sups will say anything to make people stick around so they don't have as many new people not knowing what their doing when peak hits. Don't let the "you're the best ever" go to your head. It's probably a lie. You might be good, but you'll never be good enough in ups eyes. If you want to know if you got the pay raise go to the upsers site and look up your paycheck. Had a sup here tell a guy during peak he was making base driver wage because he was so good at preloading. Needless to say the guy found out he wasn't making driver wage and quit. Idk if Sup got fired or quit but he was gone shortly after. Only reason I'm posting is cause you come off as very arrogant and :censored2:y. TLDR: look at your paycheck online for raise. Stop acting like a ho.

Yeah, the only reason I brought up my speed was to corroborate my point that sorters do much more work than baggers in my department, giving reason for the $1/hour raise. I wasn't bragging like you're trying to insinuate, and you just need to chill out.

The thing is that this was said WAY before peak season. Also, it was only said by MULTIPLE different PT supervisors who were my friends who are NOT the kind of people who give out undue praise. In the beginning when I was new I was constantly told by my FT supervisor that I would be let go if I didn't speed up so your statement makes NO sense.

The way they said it was obviously matter-of-factly. They weren't like, "Yeah! You're number one! Way to go!" they would discuss the numbers, and then just acknowledge that I had the most packages out of everyone there yet I finished before everyone else. Then when I was starting to sort I was talking to my supervisor who rarely says anything, and she said "I'm sure with how you did in bagging you're going to be one of the fastest sorters here."

The only reason I'm responding is because you come across as a cynical and arrogant prick but then again I don't know what I expected from an UPS employee. Sorry, but the numbers don't lie. They are hard evidence, and you don't know the first thing about me or my supervisors. The way they treat everyone directly contradicts your attempt to dismiss my success. They DO not praise people for no reason at all. In fact, they DO NOT mention anything unless you're doing really badly.

I would like for you to show me ONE instance where a supervisor gives undue praise at UPS because I have NEVER EVER heard of that. This was WAY before peak season, and the only things I have ever heard on browncafe go more like "blah blah my supervisors are so mean :(!!!!!!!!!!!" you can even google it yourself. You're clearly just trying to dismiss everything I say as eagerness for whatever reason.

I suggest you reconsider who is the arrogant :censored2: here.

I Just Wanna Go Home

So the ft sup who isn't your friend told you to speed up... But your friends who are supervisors keep saying how good you are? Sounds like someones buddy buddy with management and got a little help with the promotion. I don't see the numbers. I see you talking about the numbers. For all I know you're making up the numbers. Trying to sound like you earned the promotion when in actuality it was handed to you by buddy buddy management guy. You're the one who asked strangers a question you could've easily answered yourself with a little research. Now you're getting trolled by strangers. It's how brown cafe works. Now, get your pph up. 900 an hour is unacceptable!

drazzy93

So the ft sup who isn't your friend told you to speed up... But your friends who are supervisors keep saying how good you are? Sounds like someones buddy buddy with management and got a little help with the promotion. I don't see the numbers. I see you talking about the numbers. For all I know you're making up the numbers. Trying to sound like you earned the promotion when in actuality it was handed to you by buddy buddy management guy. You're the one who asked strangers a question you could've easily answered yourself with a little research. Now you're getting trolled by strangers. It's how brown cafe works. Now, get your pph up. 900 an hour is unacceptable!

I said "in the beginning." My FT supervisor would NOT have moved me to sorting if I was slow because as I said, many baggers in my hub tried becoming sorters but they weren't fast enough. You're making a lot of baseless assumptions. Sounds like you have some issues with UPS itself. I wasn't buddy buddy with these PT supervisors until I proved myself. I didn't even know them until I started working at UPS so nice try.

Also, it was my SECOND ever time sorting. You do realize that the PPH on the data list is averaged? The highest I saw on that list was 1,300 (which by my calculations total to 21 packages per minute) so yeah I have to call bull:censored2: on "900 is unacceptable." I can understand "needs more work" WHICH my PT supervisor told me herself, but "unacceptable" is quite a stretch.

I asked for others' opinions on the $1/hour raise because I can't find this info on the internet. Everything is outdated. I merely mentioned my stats to corroborate my points, but now you've got your panties in a twist because you don't like how I worded them I guess. I'll bet you're one of these slackers who expect to get handed promotions. I don't know why else you would feel so personally offended by what I said.

Last edited:

I Just Wanna Go Home

"In the beginning" so what are you God now? I know you think highly of yourself but wow. To be honest I just skim through your posts. Most are way too long. I'm not personally offended. I'm just seeing how long I can get you to respond before giving up. Also you said earlier you have "researched everything extensively" then how do you not know if your promotion comes with a raise? Sounds like you're researching the wrong stuff.

drazzy93

"In the beginning" so what are you God now? I know you think highly of yourself but wow. To be honest I just skim through your posts. Most are way too long. I'm not personally offended. I'm just seeing how long I can get you to respond before giving up. Also you said earlier you have "researched everything extensively" then how do you not know if your promotion comes with a raise? Sounds like you're researching the wrong stuff.

So, it's a promotion now? Great to know, that's one of the only things I was trying to figure out, thanks! Try googling "small sorts becoming a sorter after bagging" and tell me the great results you get. Everything is about sorting in the regular hub and nothing about small sorts because only a handful of people work small sorts in any given location.

I Just Wanna Go Home

Silly drazzy, you don't google questions about ups. You'd have better luck getting extra sauce from McDonald's for free. I would assume that an increase in pay would merit the term "promotion" no? As far as the pay raise goes, no one here can answer that question. Pay rates and raises for ups are different everywhere you go. It might be a raise somewhere but not somewhere else. Ask you sup on Monday if you will receive a pay raise for the new position. Another way is to watch your paychecks online. If last week it says base pay rate $11.00 and this week it says $12.00 there's your answer. Upsers.com is your best friend if you do direct deposit. THEY WILL screw up your paycheck. A lot. Write down your hours and monitor your paychecks. They especially like to screw up paychecks right after they give you a raise.

drazzy93

Silly drazzy, you don't google questions about ups. You'd have better luck getting extra sauce from McDonald's for free. I would assume that an increase in pay would merit the term "promotion" no? As far as the pay raise goes, no one here can answer that question. Pay rates and raises for ups are different everywhere you go. It might be a raise somewhere but not somewhere else. Ask you sup on Monday if you will receive a pay raise for the new position. Another way is to watch your paychecks online. If last week it says base pay rate $11.00 and this week it says $12.00 there's your answer. Upsers.com is your best friend if you do direct deposit. THEY WILL screw up your paycheck. A lot. Write down your hours and monitor your paychecks. They especially like to screw up paychecks right after they give you a raise.

Thank you! I will be doing that on Monday. I was just curious if anyone else here had experience becoming a sorter, but it seems like my situation is unique in a lot of ways. I think that it is a promotion because of how seriously they took it.

When I was bagging my PT supervisor didn't care at all about my PPH, but now that I'm sorting she really emphasizes looking at it every night. The first day I thought I was officially a sorter, but then at the end of the shift my PT supervisor told me "The FT supervisor is going to check through your sorts today, and then he will say yes or no" so it just seemed like a big deal to me. I know my coworker has really wanted to sort for a while, but she still isn't doing it despite being there for a few years.

As for the raise, I honestly don't want to rub my supervisors the wrong way by asking them now about it so do you think it would suffice if I asked my HR supervisor instead?

Last edited:

I Just Wanna Go Home

Either way could rub them the wrong way. "Wow you've been there a week and already wanting a raise?" Or "wow you went to HR for a simple question I would've been happy to answer for you?" I'd say ask you sup. I wouldn't go to HR for something like this. It's all about how you ask. "Ay you finna pay me more or what homes? I'm bustin arse out here." Or "So I have heard that this position sometimes comes with a raise. I was wondering if that was the case at this hub? If not I understand, just clearing the confusion." Or just make up a sob story to break the ice "my daughter died the same day my cat ran away the same day my house got broken into the same day my wife left me. So do I get the raise?"

jose93209

You suggest I move to the sort aisle? Is that sarcasm, or is sort aisle different from sorting in small sorts? And there is almost no way for me to take breathers while sorting ins mall sorts because I have to move around like crazy. I'm literally scanning from the moment I clock in to the moment I clock out, and I suppose next time I do it I'm going to take a break regardless of whether or not the table is completely bare of packages.

I'm still new, but I'm not too bad for a first-timer with sorting. My PPH was 900 on my second day, and there were some who were behind me but some who were at like 1,200. I hope to be that good next week, but we'll see. I almost feel like it's straight up impossible to do 1,200 without missorts, but I guess there are ways I could go at that pace while doing my work accurately.

The only reason I had to pass up on drinking water was because I didn't bring my water since when I was bagging I never really had to worry about that. I'm going to make it a point to do that from now and on though.

The sort aisle, as in where the big grown up packages go. Not the smalls. Just by reading the following posts, it's going way off topic. Ask your sup if you get the raise or not, simple as that. No need to write down an essay for one answer. The sups will tell you that you are the greatest (insert job here) ever. Don't take it so personal. Become a PT sup fast, because by your previous posts, the other employees don't seem to like you very much. Might as well put some icing on it. Make more money and be another slave for the FT sups in the UPS chain of command. Good luck

drazzy93

The sort aisle, as in where the big grown up packages go. Not the smalls. Just by reading the following posts, it's going way off topic. Ask your sup if you get the raise or not, simple as that. No need to write down an essay for one answer. The sups will tell you that you are the greatest (insert job here) ever. Don't take it so personal. Become a PT sup fast, because by your previous posts, the other employees don't seem to like you very much. Might as well put some icing on it. Make more money and be another slave for the FT sups in the UPS chain of command. Good luck

What is up with all these UPSers who have an axe to grind with UPS management? You are pulling a baseless assumption straight out of your ass. I don't even know how you came to the conclusion that other employees don't like me because if you went to my department you would find exponentially otherwise.

The coworker I had who tried to become a sorter is my friend. She was way before I even got on good terms with my PT sups. EVERYONE at my department likes me because they know I actually work hard and try my damn best to help out. The only thing is that I have noticed that my coworkers keep staring at me now that I'm sorting which I think is mainly because they are surprised I became one after just a few months.

In fact, I am regularly peeling bags for my coworkers in between sorts and bags, and just generally doing what I can do to make their lives easier. ALL my coworkers like me, and in fact this is the first job where I ever felt like I was part of a team. Don't tell me to stop writing essays and then stick a jab in the last sentence of your post. So, :censored2: right off.

jose93209

What is up with all these UPSers who have an axe to grind with UPS management? You are pulling a baseless assumption straight out of your ass. I don't even know how you came to the conclusion that other employees don't like me because if you went to my department you would find exponentially otherwise.

The coworker I had who tried to become a sorter is my friend. She was way before I even got on good terms with my PT sups. EVERYONE at my department likes me because they know I actually work hard and try my damn best to help out. The only thing is that I have noticed that my coworkers keep staring at me now that I'm sorting which I think is mainly because they are surprised I became one after just a few months.

In fact, I am regularly peeling bags for my coworkers in between sorts and bags, and just generally doing what I can do to make their lives easier. ALL my coworkers like me, and in fact this is the first job where I ever felt like I was part of a team. Don't tell me to stop writing essays and then stick a jab in the last sentence of your post. So, :censored2: right off.

Another essay haha.. Sounds like you would be a perfect PT sup lmao. I'm done replying, good luck again.