new to UPS

I was recently hired to UPS, just completed my 4 day orientation. Everyone with me got put in loading, I was put in skilled sort. I am just curious as to how this job is, and what I can expect.

dillweed

Welcome to the nightmare :-)
You can expect to feel awkward and stressed until you get the hang of sorting. Might even feel a bit of panic now and then when all that crap is coming at you at a fast pace.
Just do the best you can and try to go with the flow. You'll get faster as time goes on. Be safe and stay calm. dw

B

BLACK BOX

The first thing you will notice is whether the wage and the amount of work is worth it. It's at this point you will realize that you are nothing but an entry-level laborer.......walk or stay and tough it out. Good Luck Kid!

helenofcalifornia

As I tell every newbie I see at UPS, your back will be killing you for three weeks. It's not broken, you are just discovering muscles that haven't seen alot of the work you are now doing. You will be stronger for it in awhile. Drink lots of water and it will pay off later on in your career if you learn the safe work methods. Corny, but they work. Good luck. UPS can be a good career.

No Talent Clown

They probably put you in the sort for a reason.....They think higher of you or you made them think you're smart. Either way welcome and remember the line "a fair days pay for a fair days work".

LKLND3380

Since you are new and it is after October 1.... Expect to be worked hard and unsure if you will have a job after Dec 31... If you are kept on then know that 90 days is 90 "punch in days" not "calendar days."

Most of all know safe methods and methods to get the job done are two different things...

helenofcalifornia

Whoooweeee Lakeland!!!!! None, I repeat, none of our women drivers look anything like the ones you got there in Florida. And I don't think that is a UPS issue uniform, is it??? I got yelled at for hemming my shorts one inch higher and her's is a whole lot shorter than mine. UPS business in Lakeland must be pretty good.

helenofcalifornia

Hey Robster, it's easy for me to say, but don't stress too much. What exactley is "skilled sort?" Is it boxline? Ask questions and kiss a**. At least until you get seniority. And you are not a "Christmas hire" are you? I think anyone hired after Nov.1 is now a Christmas hire, right? Don't call in sick. You can do it.

schor662

Don't get too scared of people saying that you'll get fired after years end. If they hired you on as a permanent part time, that's where you'll be. They have seasonal people for the one's they will fire. Also at Commerce City, its 30 punch in days and you'll reach seniority, thus they can't fire you. It varies on location, but i'm sure if you put the work in, and do well in the probation period ( the period before you reach seniority), you'll be a welcome part of the company.

W

westsideworma

Hey Robster, it's easy for me to say, but don't stress too much. What exactley is "skilled sort?" Is it boxline? Ask questions and kiss a**. At least until you get seniority. And you are not a "Christmas hire" are you? I think anyone hired after Nov.1 is now a Christmas hire, right? Don't call in sick. You can do it.

I was hired Oct last year and at the time I was considered a christmas hire. they kept me because apparently they went through like 15 preloaders on the pull I had (drivers confirmed this lol). That and I learned it rather quickly without loading airs. Those drivers were awesome, helped me out whenever and however they could so I could get better faster. I now have none of them thanks to PAS but thats another story. But helen is right if you don't call in and are on time they'll likely keep you, they have a hard time finding reliable people. :thumbup1:

I have now been there 3 days. I am in the sort aisle. It was crazy for the first two days, which I didn't know which package went to which color belt, and the packages were flying at me. I finally have the whole thing down, and I believe I passed that sorting test yesterday, will find out when I go in later. As for Christmas hire, I don't believe that I am. Although he could be lying, the supervisor told me I was there for good yesterday.

Last edited:
W

westsideworma

I have now been there 3 days. I am in the sort aisle. It was crazy for the first two days, which I didn't know which package went to which color belt, and the packages were flying at me. I finally have the whole thing down, and I believe I passed that sorting test yesterday, will find out when I go in later. As for Christmas hire, I don't believe that I am. Although he could be lying, the supervisor told me I was there for good yesterday.

ahh the sort isle...at our hub it resembles a bunch of monkeys :censored2: a football...especially on the preload with the extras that SPA... (part of PAS which is for the most part a preload only thing) its quite comical. What shift do you work?

rngri4

I was recently hired to UPS, just completed my 4 day orientation. Everyone with me got put in loading, I was put in skilled sort. I am just curious as to how this job is, and what I can expect.

Wait a minute.....you actually had a 4 day orientation? Wow, our new employees here get about a 5 minute orientation because the preload shift really doesn't care I guess, but anyway, I am not familiar with that long of an orientation, but in my opinion, our district needs to look into that, maybe it will retain employees for a longer period of time.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
Kind of suprised they started you out on the sort aisle. Back in '96 when I first started, you had to go through the unload, then the load, then you could take the sort test, and only after you passed that, they would put you on the aisle. It was $1 more per hour back then....Make sure your unloader is putting the labels up, that was one of the biggest problems I had.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Show up on time, limit your bitching (and if you bitch, make it eloquent and meaningful, not obnoxious and angsty), don't slack when 10 others are busting their asses off, and you are guaranteed a perm position. That's all it takes.

And if he says your perm, that's a good sign as well.

Just a question, how do the packages come to you? A belt? Rollers? A slide? And how many belts do you sort to? I work in a freakin' old centre with just one belt.