New Trucks

30andout

With all the sensors on the new trucks, has anyone ever been reprimanded for not using their seat belt, closing bulkhead door or not taking keys out at every stop?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm surprised that so far, UPS has never wired Package Cars to not start if the seatbelt is not on. I got a new P7 in Sept. 06 and there is a wiring harness coming out of the floor under my seat that was clipped off. It would be easy to put something on the Bulkhead Door too, although I haven't seen anything like that yet. I hope that you are enjoying your new p7, 30andout. The low steps, Power Steering and Automatic Transmission are nice. My left foot and right hand don't get the workout they used to.:thumbup1:

upsgrunt

I just got a new P12 10 days ago and it has more sensors than ever! There is even a "door ajar" light that goes on on the dash when you start it. Mine also has the lead going in under the seat, but the seatbelt light comes on even when you have the belt fastened. There is also a lead that goes to the bulkhead door to a magnet type sensor-haven't figured that out yet.

Just Lurking

There is inline sensor that can be installed on the back-up lights that counts the number times that you back during the day. Maybe one the mechanics can chime in on this thread about all of the different sensors.

We need more trucks in our center. I believe that we had 3-4 rentals this past week.

happyboy

There is inline sensor that can be installed on the back-up lights that counts the number times that you back during the day. Maybe one the mechanics can chime in on this thread about all of the different sensors.

We need more trucks in our center. I believe that we had 3-4 rentals this past week.

the nice thing about rentals is the AC and radio

brownrodster

With all the sensors on the new trucks, has anyone ever been reprimanded for not using their seat belt, closing bulkhead door or not taking keys out at every stop?

Never not used seat belt. Never driven with bulkhead door open. I think I've forgot to take the keys out less than 5 times ever...

I've wondered if they could download data from the truck and see if we weren't doing stuff like that though...

brownrodster

I just got a new P12 10 days ago and it has more sensors than ever! There is even a "door ajar" light that goes on on the dash when you start it. Mine also has the lead going in under the seat, but the seatbelt light comes on even when you have the belt fastened. There is also a lead that goes to the bulkhead door to a magnet type sensor-haven't figured that out yet.

how do you like the MPG gauge???? It's nice to know when you are getting 200+ miles to the gallon! if only for a moment. And I only get like 1-2 miles per gallon when going up big hills !

brownrodster

What new trucks? Where? I don't see any new trucks. :mad:

In my region all the outlying small centers have brand new trucks. But all the hubs are still rockin old POS's..

I love the new trucks. Couldn't imagine driving those old POS anymore.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that we have 1 mechanic for almost 60 trucks. newer trucks = less maintanence = don't have to hire a second mecanic???

30andout

I'm surprised that so far, UPS has never wired Package Cars to not start if the seatbelt is not on. I got a new P7 in Sept. 06 and there is a wiring harness coming out of the floor under my seat that was clipped off. It would be easy to put something on the Bulkhead Door too, although I haven't seen anything like that yet. I hope that you are enjoying your new p7, 30andout. The low steps, Power Steering and Automatic Transmission are nice. My left foot and right hand don't get the workout they used to.:thumbup1:[/quoteHey Scratch, does your 7 have the sliding rear doors, looks like they could be a pain on a cold snowy day.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm surprised that so far, UPS has never wired Package Cars to not start if the seatbelt is not on. I got a new P7 in Sept. 06 and there is a wiring harness coming out of the floor under my seat that was clipped off. It would be easy to put something on the Bulkhead Door too, although I haven't seen anything like that yet. I hope that you are enjoying your new p7, 30andout. The low steps, Power Steering and Automatic Transmission are nice. My left foot and right hand don't get the workout they used to.:thumbup1:[/quoteHey Scratch, does your 7 have the sliding rear doors, looks like they could be a pain on a cold snowy day.
No, mine has swinging rear doors and dual wheels on the back. It turns much sharper than the newest P7s because the truck is shorter, wider, and has bigger wheel wells. I never want to give this one up, I prefer it over the newest model.

upsgrunt

how do you like the MPG gauge???? It's nice to know when you are getting 200+ miles to the gallon! if only for a moment. And I only get like 1-2 miles per gallon when going up big hills !

That MPG gauge is pretty cool. Like I said in a previous post, do you think package cars need all this electronic crap? I'm just pleased as punch for the power steering, lower step and automatic- after having it just over a week I can really tell the difference in legs and elbows.

jlphotog

What new trucks? Where? I don't see any new trucks. :mad:

Really!? Around here, about 6 months ago, we got 4 or 5 "new" trucks. They were 1983 P5's that had been taken out of service at a center 700 miles away. These trucks had been stripped down and were set to go to the crusher. They have no backup camera or monitor, no locks on the back door and are an absolute POS. They weren't good enough for that center anymore, but they are for us. :confused:1:crying:

CBUK

Dont think ive ever seen a new truck. Mine is a 1995 model. I say mine, I get a designated truck for a month thrn when it goes for service I get given a different truck with a cab full of someone elses mess!

Just Lurking

That MPG gauge is pretty cool. Like I said in a previous post, do you think package cars need all this electronic crap? I'm just pleased as punch for the power steering, lower step and automatic- after having it just over a week I can really tell the difference in legs and elbows.

Don't forget ABS. We get a fair amount of ice in the winter. One of the guys that got one had the crap scared out of him. :laugh: He did not realize that it had ABS . So when he hit a patch of ice while braking the P12 shook has the ABS helped stop the car.

browned_out

Really!? Around here, about 6 months ago, we got 4 or 5 "new" trucks. They were 1983 P5's that had been taken out of service at a center 700 miles away. These trucks had been stripped down and were set to go to the crusher. They have no backup camera or monitor, no locks on the back door and are an absolute POS. They weren't good enough for that center anymore, but they are for us. :confused:1:crying:
Sounds like you got the POS's we had, when I transfered from my original bldg (over 200 trks, 6 fulltime mech's) to the small center I am at now (50 trks, 1 mech) I could'nt believe the sorry a** state of some of the trucks. They used to send me out in a P6 Ford that constantly smelled like gas was leaking, could'nt get over 40 mph (25 on an incline), and was scary to drive to boot (would pull hard to the right if you pushed on the brakes to hard). This was just one of many we had. Last year they started bringing in new trucks (1 P12, 3 P7's, 3 P10's & 2 new vans). Its a start but we still have alot of older trks with the V8 gas replacement motors.

Big Babooba

I'm surprised that so far, UPS has never wired Package Cars to not start if the seatbelt is not on. I got a new P7 in Sept. 06 and there is a wiring harness coming out of the floor under my seat that was clipped off. It would be easy to put something on the Bulkhead Door too, although I haven't seen anything like that yet. I hope that you are enjoying your new p7, 30andout. The low steps, Power Steering and Automatic Transmission are nice. My left foot and right hand don't get the workout they used to.:thumbup1:

The DOT mandated seatbelt interlocks for passenger cars for the 1974 model year. You couldn't start a car unless you 1. Opened the driver's door 2. got in the seat 3. fastened the seat belt and 4. turned the key. If you deviated from this sequance in any way the car would not start and you would have to repeat the correct procedure. If you did everything correctly an still couldn't start the car, there was an overide button under the hood. My brother in law had a 74 Charger with this set up. What a nightmare it was. The DOT reversed itself a couple of months later from all the complaints and allowed dealers to remove the system.

Can you imagine opening the hood everytime you shut off the package car engine? NO THANKS!!!