NFL Fans

oldngray

nowhere special
Sounds like they are looking to the draft for the real replacement. I think Newton is screwed if he thinks anyone will give a running QB a long-term deal.

Well, there's always the Jags.
Newton is done. He never could throw the ball very well and now he can't run either.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Who is rumored to be Brady's replacement? Draft, FA?

The Colts have always been my team because of where I grew up. However, I've lived between Memphis and Nashville for years now and follow the Titans more these days. I made a nice chunk of money off of that playoff game. :D :D :D There for a while the rumors were white hot that Brady was coming to the Titans, who poured water on that by signing Tannehill to a big contract before the old one expired. This whole part of the state was on edge, LOL.
I don't know and don't care until it's done. It will be an interesting season. With Brady , you know it will be another "revenge tour" with a new team. we'll see if he still has it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Sounds like they are looking to the draft for the real replacement. I think Newton is screwed if he thinks anyone will give a running QB a long-term deal.

Well, there's always the Jags.
Running QB's seems to be a successful trend now , McHomie , Jackson , and a couple others....big , strong, resilent , but only good for perhaps 7-10 years in this kind of high risk play.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Running QB's seems to be a successful trend now , McHomie , Jackson , and a couple others....big , strong, resilent , but only good for perhaps 7-10 years in this kind of high risk play.

Running QBs get trendy every now and then until everyone figures them out, and it's always the same thing. They are antsy and frequently look to run if the first couple of reads aren't open. Stop them from running, keep them in the pocket, and they struggle with accuracy/consistency.

Wouldn't put Mahomes in that group. He doesn't do much running; less than 15 yards/game. Not that he needs to run, he is just ridiculously talented with his arm. It's not fair.

It will be fine

Running QBs get trendy every now and then until everyone figures them out, and it's always the same thing. They are antsy and frequently look to run if the first couple of reads aren't open. Stop them from running, keep them in the pocket, and they struggle with accuracy/consistency.

Wouldn't put Mahomes in that group. He doesn't do much running; less than 15 yards/game. Not that he needs to run, he is just ridiculously talented with his arm. It's not fair.
I think Mahomes would run more but he was hurt last year, only did it when he really needed to.

MAKAVELI

@MAKAVELI @542thruNthru

your chance to relive the Super Bowl is now nfl network
giphy-6.gif

59 Dano

I think Mahomes would run more but he was hurt last year, only did it when he really needed to.

I looked at his run numbers from '18 and '19. Ran 3.8 times/game and 3.1 times/game, respectively. He's not really a runner but will take something if you leave it wide open for him. I was at their game in Nashville his first week back from his injury. Very little mobility and zero rush attempts and he threw for nearly 450 yards in a 35-32 loss. The only reason he needs to run is to rest his arm. Unbelievable talent.

59 Dano

Tennessee gave Tannehill way too much $$$

I go back and forth on that. His talent doesn't seem to be worth that much money. Then you look at the alternatives and there really aren't any. If he doesn't get the money from the Titans, he gets it from somewhere else.

If that happens, the Titans are in a bind due to the lack of free agent QB options. Brady and Rivers got even more money and they're past their prime and not going to get any better. The only other viable option is Bridgewater, who got paid about as much as Tanne despite a catastrophic injury and only 42 starts in 5 seasons.

Considering all that, better to pay him and keep a championship quality offense.

oldngray

nowhere special
I go back and forth on that. His talent doesn't seem to be worth that much money. Then you look at the alternatives and there really aren't any. If he doesn't get the money from the Titans, he gets it from somewhere else.

If that happens, the Titans are in a bind due to the lack of free agent QB options. Brady and Rivers got even more money and they're past their prime and not going to get any better. The only other viable option is Bridgewater, who got paid about as much as Tanne despite a catastrophic injury and only 42 starts in 5 seasons.

Considering all that, better to pay him and keep a championship quality offense.

Way better to draft a rookie now (if a decent one is still available when your team gets to pick) and eat the year or two learning process for him.

59 Dano

Way better to draft a rookie now (if a decent one is still available when your team gets to pick) and eat the year or two learning process for him.

Draft at #29 for now. Nothing really worth a 1st round pick this year and would be insane to let Tannehill walk when the rest of the offense is that good. The speculation is that they may draft a backup in the late rounds and may draft a developmental guy within the next year or so.

Otherwise agree if the team isn't that close to a Super Bowl.

59 Dano

On the topic of Cam Newton, I could possibly see a scenario where he signs a 1 year deal with Denver.

I'd love to see his ego take the bruising of being a backup. "If you don't like me dancing in the end zone, don't let me in the end zone." OK, you don't have a job. Congratulations.