No radios in the cab

beefbag

We were told on friday here in Maryland that we can't have radios in the cab.We can have them in the back like we will be able to hear it. A driver had an accident and was screwing with the radio. Hope no has an accident drinking water.

S

speeddemon

We were told on friday here in Maryland that we can't have radios in the cab.We can have them in the back like we will be able to hear it. A driver had an accident and was screwing with the radio. Hope no has an accident drinking water.

It is contractual. You can have a radio in the cab.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My Diad flies out of its slot, (not the correct holder) more than my radio, has ever flown out of its. It is secured with a bungy and does not block my vision, flat on the dash. If my radio is going to kill me in a wreck, I would already be dead. I think its a safety issue to not have one in the winter. I cannot hear mine in the back. And a few months back radios being too loud were the problem. It would be too loud when parked if I could hear it, then we would get complaints, well I wouldnt but some would. Ive got to find it in my contract book.

over9five

Staff member
Article 18 Sect 8

"Transistor radios will be allowed in package cars"

Unfortunately, it does not say "in the cab".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have one kid who has a boom box on his dash and plays heavy metal and you can hear the radio before you hear the pkg car. He straps the box on the irreg cart when he is not driving and you can hear him in every part of the bldg.

browniehound

Article 18 Sect 8

"Transistor radios will be allowed in package cars"

Unfortunately, it does not say "in the cab".

Unfortunately, I haven't met someone who has owned a "transistor" since 1975, LOL. I'm guessing a "transistor" radio is defined as a radio that can recieve but doesn't transmit? The words "transistor radio" I believe are obsolete even if its used in the UPS-Teamster national agreement. I've read the article that Over9.5 posted.

There was a time when management told us no radios in the cab. I think this was around '04 or '05. It was never enforced and I never heard of any disiplanary action taken against ANY driver during this time peroid. Now I see yellow Dewalt radios on the dash of every other package car I see. Apparently this issue has been resolved and we can have radios on the dash here in in MA.

upsdude

I carry a small am/fm radio, uses 2 AA batteries and it fits in the cup holder. I use it during lunch (if I eat in the truck) or while I'm sorting. Otherwise I find it annoying to have both the radio and truck on at the same time.

over9five

Staff member
LOL, BH!

Agree with the "transistor radio" comment. I think that is an update from when radios had vacuum tubes! That's our Union, right there with us in the 20th century!

The term came about when they started using transistors instead of vacuum tubes, allowing lower voltage (9v batteries)and smaller encasements. Actually ALL radios are transistor radios today. The only electronic equipment that I know of that still utilizes the vacuum tube is the high powered amps used by musicians and they may not anymore.

Regardless of the terminology or definition, the contract allows us to have radios in our trucks.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In our building the only rule about radios in the cab is that they must be secured and they cannot obstruct the view out of the windshield. It sounds like some upper-level management weenie in Maryland didnt have anything better to do with his time, so he wrote a memo banning radios in the cab. I guess he has to do something to justify his paycheck. I would suggest that any effected drivers simply wait until they are out on route to bring their radios up into the cab.