November 22, 1963

Big Babooba

Today marks the 45th anniversary of the assassination of John friend Kennedy. I was 5 years old at the time and in kindergarten. I had morning sessions and was home when it occurred. I remember the grief shown by those around me, but didn't really realize what was going on until later. One thing that will be etched in my memory forever is the funeral procession, the riderless horse and little John John saluting his father's casket. If you have any memories of these events, please share them.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was in 2nd grade and I remember I was out on the school grounds on recess playing ball. A teacher came ups and she was crying and she told us to go back in the classroom.
Remember my mother being distressed.
My parents were blind so we did not have a TV so I have no remembrance except for all the playbacks in the years afterward.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I was in Sophomore typing class when the nun came on the P.A. system and made the announcement. The entire class (all girls) was crying.....so sad!

satellitedriver

I was 10yrs old, and two months earlier I was 10ft away from JFK in Houston.
My school had a fund raiser to pay for our new gym.
15cents to watch a John Wayne movie in the gym.
The projector stopped and the Pastor came on stage and told us the President had been shot and asked for our prayers.
Three boys behind me laughed and one said I bet he got shot in the butt.
Before that day, I never had threatened violence towards another person.
Two things died that day.
JFK, and my innocence to this world.

rod

Retired 22 years
If you ever get to Dallas be sure to visit the musem-- it's really interesting. I was in 10th grade when Kennedy got shot but what I remember most about the whole deal was seeing Jack Ruby shoot Oswald on live TV.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Dilli....we all use the Nov. 22 date when asking the question, "Where were you when...?"

If you were a 2 yr. old, then what ?? works for your age group? "I'll never forget where I was when______ ????

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I remember the day Lane Frost was killed by the bull "Taking Care of Business" he was riding killed him at Cheyenne Frontier Days, July 30, 1989.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am like Dill in that I was 2 yrs old on that fateful day.

To answer More's question, I'll never forget where I was when Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the moon in 1969.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I was looking for a different event other than JFK's killing and the Challenger explosion came to mind.

I was working at a car dealership main switchboard and one of the salesmen (Bill Breedlove) came running in and shouting the news. Yes, he was a part of that racing "Breedlove" family......not a big part except in his own mind.

browndevil

I was 9 mos old when JFK was shot. My first recognition of an assination was when MLK was shot it was my older sister's 10 birthday in 1968. I was 5 years old and felt the impact of what he would have become. Then RFK was shot and killed, funny I could tell you who assinated who and who shot the assasin, and the Vietnam war. My early years have a very dark image of what was going on. I remember News Years Eve 1969 and being so happy 1970 was coming and everything would be OK. Ah from a heart and mind of a 7 year old:happy2:

DS

Fenderbender
I remember that day.I was in grade 2 and the announcement came.
They told us to go home .My mom was crying when I got home.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I was in the 5th grade and we were sent home shortly after the announcement. I remember watching the funeral on tv while wrestling with my oldest brother.

Also, does anybody remember where they where or what they were doing when Elvis died?

I was picking up freight at cargo terminal (not UPS) and the word spread quickly spread around. It was about 1pm and cars and trucks everywhere had their lights on.

browndevil

I was in the 5th grade and we were sent home shortly after the announcement. I remember watching the funeral on tv while wrestling with my oldest brother.

Also, does anybody remember where they where or what they were doing when Elvis died?

I was picking up freight at cargo terminal (not UPS) and the word spread quickly spread around. It was about 1pm and cars and trucks everywhere had their lights on.
I was in a record store. Remember those? They had pictures and posters that were cool if you had a black light.I was 14 years old and not an Elvis fan but I remember it really well

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
Dilli....we all use the Nov. 22 date when asking the question, "Where were you when...?"

If you were a 2 yr. old, then what ?? works for your age group? "I'll never forget where I was when______ ????

Hi,
I was not even alive when JFK was killed. The question that works for me is......... "I'll never forget where I was when the space shuttle Challanger exploded":sad-very: