Off peak helpers

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Anyone else using helpers right now? We have used them twice this week and possibly tomorrow (Friday). The helpers are being told several things as far as pay rate etc.

One helper told me they told him he would get 80% of new driver rate.
Another helper told me they said she would get $21.
Two other helpers told me that they would get 80% of full rate.

I feel bad for them and would like to actually give them an answer since our steward is on vacation. At one point, I knew that if the on car had to use a bargaining member to run a route, they (helper) would have to be paid full driver rate. I thought the same was true if a helper was used outside of peak. Has this changed at some point?

Central Supplement does not specify. Anyone know?

542thruNthru

Anyone else using helpers right now? We have used them twice this week and possibly tomorrow (Friday). The helpers are being told several things as far as pay rate etc.

One helper told me they told him he would get 80% of new driver rate.
Another helper told me they said she would get $21.
Two other helpers told me that they would get 80% of full rate.

I feel bad for them and would like to actually give them an answer since our steward is on vacation. At one point, I knew that if the on car had to use a bargaining member to run a route, they (helper) would have to be paid full driver rate. I thought the same was true if a helper was used outside of peak. Has this changed at some point?

Central Supplement does not specify. Anyone know?

They are using off the street helpers? Anytime we've had off season helpers here they had to be inside employees and they got top rate.

scooby0048

They are using off the street helpers? Anytime we've had off season helpers here they had to be inside employees and they got top rate.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Our helpers are preload and I swear they should be getting full driver rate.

542thruNthru

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Our helpers are preload and I swear they should be getting full driver rate.

If it were me, I'd make a call to my local tomorrow and ask.

They should get top rate mainly because it would help deter the company from trying to use them more often.

scooby0048

If it were me, I'd make a call to my local tomorrow and ask.

They should get top rate mainly because it would help deter the company from trying to use them more often.

You know, normally I would agree with you and say that's what I would do too but I have no faith in our local for simple questions like these. We see our union local leaders like maybe every 6 months and they always bitch and moan about having to come to our area from Denver.

We have a bid swing / cover driver and he gets denied selecting a route that is a good one and they just place him where ever they want. The union does not even bother going after the company so the driver just said screw it, and works wherever he is placed.

scooby0048

Is that not how they make all emergency decisions? Such as suspending the 60-hour workweek rule? Seems mgmt wins out more often than not, too. They always were naturals at bending everyone else over the table.
Oh, gotcha didn't know what you were responding to.

542thruNthru

You know, normally I would agree with you and say that's what I would do too but I have no faith in our local for simple questions like these. We see our union local leaders like maybe every 6 months and they always bitch and moan about having to come to our area from Denver.

We have a bid swing / cover driver and he gets denied selecting a route that is a good one and they just place him where ever they want. The union does not even bother going after the company so the driver just said screw it, and works wherever he is placed.

That's a shame. I'd be pissed if that were me and would probably file a NLRB charge.

Jstpeachy

Preloaders in my building have been offered helper spots all week this week, management says $15/hr for the time spent as a helper. Southern supplement

Jstpeachy

Don't know much about UPS in Michigan. You transfering or just going to try and get rehired?
I’m under a year so was told transfer, even educational is most likely not an option. I know a driver at the location I’m moving to and we talked to HR there already. (That hr lady runs 2 buildings in the area)

They told me to put in a 2 weeks notice here , and work it to the last day when ready to move and apply up there and they will pull my app and hire.

I’ve read enough posts to have a plan b job set up in case hr is full of it lol. Either way I want the job for benefits while I go back to school. I’m not beast mode enough for driving hehe

Jstpeachy

Basically HR told the driver there that most likely I will be at the other building, but if the help is needed more at his building they just won’t let me load his trucks.

Fine by me he has a 400 pc 2 truck route daily plus 400 pc pick ups lol. I’ve seen pics his trucks aren’t pretty haha