Olympics are starting early for contractors.

bbsam

Staff member
Look into Patton and tell me what you think. He seems "too big to fail". You'll understand. Most will not.
I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. If you think FedEx “showed him who’s who” or something of that nature, I’m not sure I’d agree. He had a contract not far from here that still remains open and covered by contingency. When you boil it all down, the contracts (for Patton) were the part of the business that were losing money.

So if you mean “to big to fail” as in there’s always money to be made and can afford to jettison the unprofitable business, I 100% agree.

zeev

My area Ground seems to improved delivery but many trucks for sale, also ads on Facebook for Ground contractors which is new. My perspective some trying to win a gold medal, others cashing in and FedEx advertising for contractors the problem is Ground has been shown by Patton to be a lousy unprofitable business. My suggestion buy Tesla.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. If you think FedEx “showed him who’s who” or something of that nature, I’m not sure I’d agree. He had a contract not far from here that still remains open and covered by contingency. When you boil it all down, the contracts (for Patton) were the part of the business that were losing money.

So if you mean “to big to fail” as in there’s always money to be made and can afford to jettison the unprofitable business, I 100% agree.
The essence of the article I read about Patton was that getting rid of him sounds easy, but would be quite difficult due to his omnipresence in the Ground orbit. He has 255 routes and then makes bank off advising Ground "investors", leases trucks, and has vertically integrated himself into the Ground operation. He sounds like the operator of a Mega Church. I'm not sure how "defiant" Patton is or how "heavy handed' the FedEx response was to him.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in Raj's office. Oh, wait, we have a large green fly there already. Dano?

bbsam

Staff member
The essence of the article I read about Patton was that getting rid of him sounds easy, but would be quite difficult due to his omnipresence in the Ground orbit. He has 255 routes and then makes bank off advising Ground "investors", leases trucks, and has vertically integrated himself into the Ground operation. He sounds like the operator of a Mega Church. I'm not sure how "defiant" Patton is or how "heavy handed' the FedEx response was to him.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in Raj's office. Oh, wait, we have a large green fly there already. Dano?
They already got rid of Patton. His routes at least.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
They can’t make up their minds. A few years ago they wanted to stay away from that model because when larger contractors fail, it takes months to clean it up, sometimes years.
You adapt to whichever is best for the time being.

59 Dano

Let's see. He's "all talk", but FedEx made a national example of him by revoking his operating authority. Patton Logistics covers 10 states and has 225 routes. I'd think that wouldn't be easy to cover. Dig a bit deeper, and Patton makes most of his money as a broker, of FedEx routes, and he makes even more money leasing vehicles to Ground contractors and consulting people on how to buy...FedEx routes. So, perhaps I've made a "hero" out of someone who doesn't deserve the status. Bad on me, but Patton obviously struck a nerve at Corporate by daring to question "God", so he has some courage, although he has entwined himself so deeply into Ground operations that his "bravery" comes with the knowledge that getting rid of him would be very costly.

That said, it would seem doubtful that Raj would carry through on a permanent revocation. give us some answers instead of opinions, Shillster. Are you going to be in charge of assigning medals?? I'll give you a big pink one with lipstick on it for kissing Fred's ring for so long.
Come down to here to Brentwood/Franklin and ask people about Patton.

He lost his routes. His "movement" lasted about as long as the latest alternative to the NFL, and had about as much impact. He though he had considerable leverage and found out he has none. If you're excited about that, ok.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

He lost his routes. His "movement" lasted about as long as the latest alternative to the NFL, and had about as much impact. He though he had considerable leverage and found out he has none. If you're excited about that, ok.
Raj just snaps those KFC fingers and replaces 255 routes without consequences?? What about Patton's outsized role as a "broker" of routes, paid advisor, and vehicle lessor? Kind of sounds like he and Ground had sex and then had a baby together. But it had issues, so they dropped it in Brentwood and taught it to be a shill and survive.

It just doesn't seem like Patton would just disappear, as much as Dano would like to say FedEx has made a triumphant Trumpian move and put Lil' Kim in his place by killing his routes. Way too simple.

bbsam

Staff member

Lost his routes? Lol. Ok.

You think Ground fixed its issues by getting rid of Patton? We don’t even know how the lawsuit turned out. Either way, the relationship between the company and contractors remains strained if not broken.

But I don’t get the feeling that contractors have any sort of “buy in” or any fear at this point. They’re openly fishing for new contractors on Facebook FFS!!🤣.

59 Dano

Raj just snaps those KFC fingers and replaces 255 routes without consequences?? What about Patton's outsized role as a "broker" of routes, paid advisor, and vehicle lessor? Kind of sounds like he and Ground had sex and then had a baby together. But it had issues, so they dropped it in Brentwood and taught it to be a shill and survive.

It just doesn't seem like Patton would just disappear, as much as Dano would like to say FedEx has made a triumphant Trumpian move and put Lil' Kim in his place by killing his routes. Way too simple.
LOL, Patton said his contracts were terminated. Try to keep up.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Didn't I just say that, or are you from another planet? Raj killed his routes. So what is Raj going to do about replacing a vertically integrated player like Patton? He just doesn't go away because he has merged himself into Ground's very structure. I guess simple minds like yours prefer simple answers. How is your J6 trial going BTW?

bbsam

Staff member
The contracts were the unprofitable part of Patton’s business. He sold off his trucks and found positions for his drivers with other contractors and in the process promoted the profitable parts of his business.

I would like to know how you think Ground is better off now than they were six months ago. Stock price is up, but the same issues that existed then still exist today.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The contracts were the unprofitable part of Patton’s business. He sold off his trucks and found positions for his drivers with other contractors and in the process promoted the profitable parts of his business.

I would like to know how you think Ground is better off now than they were six months ago. Stock price is up, but the same issues that existed then still exist today.
After reading up on Patton, he is still an integral part of the Ground equation because he brokers, advises/ promotes routes and also leases vehicles. Judging from the article, the majority of his business is still Ground connected. So, he still makes his money from Ground.

yadig

How do you contractors like the new medals idea? Is it just me or does this seem childish or just lame?

bbsam

Staff member
How do you contractors like the new medals idea? Is it just me or does this seem childish or just lame?
To me it seems like another half-baked idea with far bigger problems to fix. This fixes none of them.

Everything that enters the “algorithm” to determine medals are things we’ve always been held accountable for. If anything, all this does is hide the measuring stick. The parameters can be changed with nobody’s knowing. For example, if acceptable service (silver) this year is 99.2%, the company can change that next year to 99.4. A contractor could continue to have the same service and risk losing his contract based on an arbitrary and changeable parameter that he has no way of knowing.