OMS day position

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
I ask because in high school, our cheerleaders sought out some of the football players (myself and some others) to be part of their competition squad since the other area schools were doing the same. I tried it for a couple weeks, but I couldn't invest the time into it that was necessary due to my work schedule at that time. This was unfortunate, because not long after I stopped they were sending everyone to cheer camp.

I kick myself over, and over, and over, and over again for not holding out for a couple more weeks. I truly wanted to know the intricacies of the reversal of a typical gender dominated working situation. Or, it was because I was an 18 yr old dude at a camp with 2000 cheerleaders...

TxRoadDawg

I ask because in high school, our cheerleaders sought out some of the football players (myself and some others) to be part of their competition squad since the other area schools were doing the same. I tried it for a couple weeks, but I couldn't invest the time into it that was necessary due to my work schedule at that time. This was unfortunate, because not long after I stopped they were sending everyone to cheer camp.

I kick myself over, and over, and over, and over again for not holding out for a couple more weeks. I truly wanted to know the intricacies of the reversal of a typical gender dominated working situation. Or, it was because I was an 18 yr old dude at a camp with 2000 cheerleaders...
I'm betting the latter for some reason lmao

Gazelle

Race me!

I worked in a law office for many years with 10 other women. The gossip, the jealously, the "why is she doing that" "what is she wearing?"It's all very passive aggressive. I am extremely confrontational so lets just say they left me alone.

As for being a man, well we had a male paralegal that worked with us for amonth. He was attractive and all the women wanted his attention. He started talking to one of the girls outside of work, and the gossip mill was spinning. Suddenly every time he needed something, they were too busy to help him. We would order lunch, and somehow his was missing.

In my opinion working in a female dominate environment is tough emotionally... because women are passive aggressive with one another. Working in a male dominated environment is much more in your face.

For a female being thick skinned in a male environment means taking the criticism head on, holding your own, and never showing emotion in front of anyone at work.

TxRoadDawg

I worked in a law office for many years with 10 other women. The gossip, the jealously, the "why is she doing that" "what is she wearing?"It's all very passive aggressive. I am extremely confrontational so lets just say they left me alone.

As for being a man, well we had a male paralegal that worked with us for amonth. He was attractive and all the women wanted his attention. He started talking to one of the girls outside of work, and the gossip mill was spinning. Suddenly every time he needed something, they were too busy to help him. We would order lunch, and somehow his was missing.

In my opinion working in a female dominate environment is tough emotionally... because women are passive aggressive with one another. Working in a male dominated environment is much more in your face.

For a female being thick skinned in a male environment means taking the criticism head on, holding your own, and never showing emotion in front of anyone at work.
For a female OMS I'd say its taking criticism, holding your own, being polite to the clueless customers, and trying not to laugh in the male driver's faces as they cry each morning how unfair it is that the next driver in the loop has 2 less stops than him or how rough it is running 2 hours over allowed at $45 an hr plus benefits :)

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro

Interesting. Interesting, due to the fact that you are basically 100% correct.

At my gateway, on my shift, I am the only male supervisor. Besides our aircraft mechanic who hides away in his office for 90% of the night, I am the only male there who is not a 3hr union employee. There are 5 women including my boss, my two fellow PT sups, and our 2 AOT's (air's version of OMS).

The stench of passive aggressiveness clogs my sinuses. Almost every day, without fail, there are innocent sounding comments made here and there that are intended to press the buttons of someone in particular. They portray their cattiness with smiles on their faces, and it's soo painfully obvious, all I can do is stay out of the line of fire and laugh. At times I feel like the resident therapist.....rather, ALL the time. I WILL get cornered multiple times a week so they can vent whatever gossip or anger they have towards someone to me. I hear it from every angle. Lord knows, if what these ladies knew what they said about each other to me, blood would have been spilled by now.

To this point, I've avoided being in any of their crosshairs (save for one who had some carnal intentions....), and I pray it stays that way. For the most part, I try to be relied on one way or another in some fashion to each of them. I figure if that's the case, and they NEED me for something on a day-to-day basis, they will keep their womenly battles amongst themselves.

Gazelle

Race me!
To this point, I've avoided being in any of their crosshairs (save for one who had some carnal intentions....), and I pray it stays that way. For the most part, I try to be relied on one way or another in some fashion to each of them. I figure if that's the case, and they NEED me for something on a day-to-day basis, they will keep their womenly battles amongst themselves.

Just be careful that you don't play favorites, and always just listen to them... otherwise it may backfire!

When I first started on the preload the five other women hated me. These women are all in their 50's, and I was (and still am) the only girl under 30 on our shift. One of them tried to get me fired for stealing. She found an open package that had lotion in it, and she came up to me and was like "oh I was out shopping and saw this for you" I was freaked out by it since I knew this woman hated me. So I gave it to my manager, and watched her whole plot backfire in her face when they found the same lotion in overgoods that night (Yes she kept her job, but she was told to stay away from me). Women can be brutal... So glad that I am not like that!

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Just be careful that you don't play favorites, and always just listen to them... otherwise it may backfire!

When I first started on the preload the five other women hated me. These women are all in their 50's, and I was (and still am) the only girl under 30 on our shift. One of them tried to get me fired for stealing. She found an open package that had lotion in it, and she came up to me and was like "oh I was out shopping and saw this for you" I was freaked out by it since I knew this woman hated me. So I gave it to my manager, and watched her whole plot backfire in her face when they found the same lotion in overgoods that night (Yes she kept her job, but she was told to stay away from me). Women can be brutal... So glad that I am not like that!

They are all my favorites! :happy-very:

I, too, am the only one out of the group of us that is under 30 (not for much longer).

And since we have SOOOO much in common, what are you doing Saturday night? :wink2:

packageguy

I'm a PT sup on the preload, and I recently found out that an OMS day position is available. I would love the hours since I'm in school. The woman who is leaving told me that our HR rep never posted the job, and is trying to hire "off the street". I talked to my center manager and my FT managers and they told me they believed someone was hired. I thought the job should have been offered to current employees first?

​I guess it's safe to say you thought wrong...lol.