[on topic] How are option 3 days used?

dogs.bite.me

This is in regard to the southern supplement rider.
We have a new center supervisor who is from California [different supplement] and is saying that all option 3 days need to be approved. The way it has worked in the past is that these days do not need any more than 1 hour notice in order to be used.

We used to have a calendar that we would write our name in the dates we wanted to take our option days. Now we can only write in this calendar WITH APPROVAL.

I found the option section in the contract book, but it says nothing about how these option days are to be used, only that we have them available. Is it just something that the company and union have an agreement on and isn't specifically spelled out in the contract, or am I looking in the wrong spot?

If anyone can point me to where I need to look in the contract book it would be appreciated. Also, any feedback as to how option 3's work in your centers would be great as well.

dogs.bite.me

I call the center, say this is (my name here) and I'm using an option day today. I might or might not say bye.
and i myself have done this as well, but our new supervisor is saying we cannot do this..... looking for proof in the contract that these days DO NOT need approval ;) Thanks for the response

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
and i myself have done this as well, but our new supervisor is saying we cannot do this..... looking for proof in the contract that these days DO NOT need approval ;) Thanks for the response
LETTER OF UNDERSTANDING ARTICLE 60, SECTION 1(C) HOLIDAYS SEPTEMBER 28, 2007 This “LETTER OF UNDERSTANDING” is entered into by the parties to establish that Article 60, Section 1(c), “OPTION 3” will be used for sick days and /or personal days. Issues relating to the interpretation of this language shall be submitted to the Union and Company Co-Chairs of the S.R.A.P.G.C. for immediate resolution.

How can you schedule being sick?

They're shooting themselves in the foot, you'd think they'd appreciate people letting them know ahead of time rather than just calling in on the day they want.

dogs.bite.me

LETTER OF UNDERSTANDING ARTICLE 60, SECTION 1(C) HOLIDAYS SEPTEMBER 28, 2007 This “LETTER OF UNDERSTANDING” is entered into by the parties to establish that Article 60, Section 1(c), “OPTION 3” will be used for sick days and /or personal days. Issues relating to the interpretation of this language shall be submitted to the Union and Company Co-Chairs of the S.R.A.P.G.C. for immediate resolution.

They're shooting themselves in the foot, you'd think they'd appreciate people letting them know ahead of time rather than just calling in on the day they want.
Thank you -

dogs.bite.me

Then the steward needs to get the BA involved.

BA has been in the hospital. I know she will take care of it, but being that she has been ill, I was trying to take some initiative so she doesn't have to deal with a little issue that could be easily taken care of.... Just looking for advice from more experienced peeps.. That's all.

BA has been in the hospital. I know she will take care of it, but being that she has been ill, I was trying to take some initiative so she doesn't have to deal with a little issue that could be easily taken care of.... Just looking for advice from more experienced peeps.. That's all.
We don't have Option 3 days here. I get 5 sick days and 5 personal days.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

But isn't that what they are doing by adhering to the "old system" of pre-entering these days onto a calendar?

How does this prescheduling these days insulate these employees from accusations of "dishonesty"?

P. S. I get what you're saying, but isn't the term common sense, an oxymoron at UPS?

dogs.bite.me

But isn't that what they are doing by adhering to the "old system" of pre-entering these days onto a calendar?

How does this prescheduling these days insulate these employees from accusations of "dishonesty"?

P. S. I get what you're saying, but isn't the term common sense, an oxymoron at UPS?

The contract states that they can be used as personal or sick days. But it is courteous on our part to let them know in advance if we were taking off. Not required, but courteous. Therefore, this supervisor is shooting himself in the foot by limiting the way we report the days we want off. Would you want to know a week ahead of time, 2 weeks, or even a day ahead of time? Well that is what this supervisor is limiting. He is in effect saying, if you want off, call the day of.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
"The way it has worked in the past is that these days do not need any more than 1 hour notice in order to be used."

That sounds to me like you also have past precedent in your favor.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Here in the south the union seems to be in bed with the company but to answer your question, you can call in your option three day any day of the week. This goes back to not enough swing drivers that are properly trained and this constant moving around 20% of the routes, no one knows how to run the routes. Orion is a joke and no one can use it. Reloop the routes and lock them in is the solution.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
This is in regard to the southern supplement rider.
We have a new center supervisor who is from California [different supplement] and is saying that all option 3 days need to be approved. The way it has worked in the past is that these days do not need any more than 1 hour notice in order to be used.

We used to have a calendar that we would write our name in the dates we wanted to take our option days. Now we can only write in this calendar WITH APPROVAL.

I found the option section in the contract book, but it says nothing about how these option days are to be used, only that we have them available. Is it just something that the company and union have an agreement on and isn't specifically spelled out in the contract, or am I looking in the wrong spot?

If anyone can point me to where I need to look in the contract book it would be appreciated. Also, any feedback as to how option 3's work in your centers would be great as well.

As stated before, past precedent has been set. If that was the procedure before then it should be handled in that way now.
Scheduling a sick day is not unethical. These are the days that might be used for a doctor appointment or other appointments to maintain ones' health.

Moneythehardway

I call my supe the day of (I do it at least a few hours before start time) tell them I'm not going to be in today, I'm using my option day. End of story

jaker

trolling
I know this. You know this. I just want to prove it to supervisor from contract. What I've gotten here has helped a ton.
Is the same way in Cali , are you sure you guys are taking about the same thing

Because here we have
sick days one hr before start time = no schedule

Option week that can be broken up into single days = needs to be schedule as least one day before for single day use

Fhp which are single days = needs to be schedule one day at least

I think where you are having the issue is we really don't use personal day everything is sick if you calling out right before work