Opinion: Human trafficking’s thrived in pandemic

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Opinion: Human trafficking’s thrived in pandemic - The Atlanta Journal Constitution

The illegal sex trade – also known as human trafficking – is more profitable than both the drug trade and gun trade combined. In Atlanta alone, $290 million each year is spent, according to the United Way.

The need to address human trafficking has never been more urgent. Recognizing that the logistics industry is uniquely positioned to help address this issue, UPS is proud to be part of the solution. Since our work on human trafficking began six years ago, we’ve launched an employee awareness campaign to empower UPS employees to advocate against human trafficking and we’ve also prioritized philanthropic partnerships. Through these initiatives, UPS’ers have raised more than $7 million to support global anti-human trafficking efforts in partnership with the United Way Center to Combat Human Trafficking. And there is still so much more work to be done.

As we join together as Atlantans to tackle human trafficking, the voice of the private sector is critically important. As President of Social Impact and The UPS Foundation, I believe addressing human trafficking is a critical piece of UPS’s commitment to build safer, more resilient and inclusive communities around the world. Innovative partnerships can provide opportunities for companies to be part of the solution. For example, our relationship with Truckers Against Trafficking trains UPS drivers to spot and report signs of human trafficking along their routes. Since the inception of our partnership, more than 130,000 drivers have received training on how to spot red flags and where to report concerning behavior.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
UPS should probably be aware of the fact that masks help hide the identity of those who are trafficked. But instead, they insist that their employees wear them. For shame.