Optional days

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Is there somewhere in the contract where the company must grant at least 1 optional per day. Can't seem to find.

Varies by supplement, but it typically depends on the staffing level for a center/sort; ie. 1 for every 1-29 employees, 2 for every 30 - 50 employees, etc. They should be awarded in seniority order and there's usually a penalty if the company refuses to award any.

Big Bad Wolf

Article 37 states, The Employer shall allow a minimum of ten percent (10%) of the package car drivers worked in any Center off on a daily basis.

Where are you pigs now?

Ouch

Why are you requesting an option day. Just call in and tell them your using an option day. They are yours and you earned them, or am I misunderstanding the question? I know you will get the usual but we are short handed and you have to come in, but that is beyond your control and above your pay grade. Just my opinion.

Feederquacker

Option days are earned paid time off. They are no different than a vacation day except that you can use them how YOU see fit instead of when your seniority allows you to.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ouch

If two drivers put in for the same day and only one can have the day it does indeed go by seniority.
They are option days. You do not have to put in for them. Call in before your start time and tell them you are calling in and to pay you an option day, as they are suppose to anyway. I never requested a day off when I had option days.

Feederquacker

I've never had much trouble taking an option day. If I get told that they are not sure if they can let me off, I simply say that I wasn't asking for the day off, I was letting them know I would not be coming to work on that day. If they want to make it more difficult than that, then that is their problem. I'm still not working. Now keep in mind that I usually have several days left that I get paid out for after Thanksgiving so I'm not what management would consider an attendance problem. So, if I say that I'm taking an option day next Friday, they can say whatever they want and I will simply remind them that whatever they think they need to do is fine but I still won't be there. Always works out fine.

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
They don't have to allow you to use an optional day if is not available/approved. My supplement requires a week's notice and if too many requested the day i'd be denied and if I still banged in/booked off without having a sick day available they'd likely make it an unapproved absence and start progression.

Feederquacker

Yuck!!!! Glad our supplement doesn't do that. Ours just says our first seven days off will be used as option days or something like that. But, we get to use them at our discretion. This doesn't stop management from trying and succeeding to force people to not take off. Just won't work on me.

Sent using BrownCafe App

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
In the central region we have 2 optional holidays. They are to be requested 8 days in advance and you will be notified the following day if granted or denied. The company must allow 1 person off each day for an option day. Article 15 page 209 of the central region supplement.

We also have 2 weeks of our vacation that we can break into single vacation days. They are used as our first 10 days off whether it be a call in or a requested day off. You must designate when picking vacations is you wish to break these weeks into single days. They do not have to allow any single vacation days but cannot unreasonably deny them. In other words if requested and staffing is available they should be granted.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
In the central region we have 2 optional holidays. They are to be requested 8 days in advance and you will be notified the following day if granted or denied. The company must allow 1 person off each day for an option day. Article 15 page 209 of the central region supplement.

We also have 2 weeks of our vacation that we can break into single vacation days. They are used as our first 10 days off whether it be a call in or a requested day off. You must designate when picking vacations is you wish to break these weeks into single days. They do not have to allow any single vacation days but cannot unreasonably deny them. In other words if requested and staffing is available they should be granted.
I tried this thinking with 20 years in two weeks broken into days would be beneficial. Well. I was wrong. Sorry were short staffed , sorry too many people off that day , sorry can't do it. Etc. next time I'm picking my vacation weeks friend this can't do it crap.

grgrcr88

I tried this thinking with 20 years in two weeks broken into days would be beneficial. Well. I was wrong. Sorry were short staffed , sorry too many people off that day , sorry can't do it. Etc. next time I'm picking my vacation weeks friend this can't do it crap.

Just call in.

"Hello, This id JohnnyFootball, I am not available to work today. I'll see you tomorrow. Thanks" CLICK!!

Paid 9hrs just like that!!

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Just call in.

"Hello, This id JohnnyFootball, I am not available to work today. I'll see you tomorrow. Thanks" CLICK!!

Paid 9hrs just like that!!
They will charge with call off if that is done , even though option week days are available. That's how it has allways been in our building unfortunately.

grgrcr88

Yes its an attendance occurrence. So what. You get 3 in a 90 day period and nothing happens. 4th is a warning letter in 90 days.

grgrcr88

If your in the central region and you have single vacation days you get paid for the first 5 or 10 days you do not work. Depending on if you broke up 1 week or 2. All you have to do is make sure they do it. If they do not, grieve for the pay. I promise you, you will be paid 9 hrs. Then you could get 4hrs penalty pay for every week they did not get you the pay.

Trust me I have done it and so as many others in my building.