overtime reduction

S

slyguy

Watch for UPS to start hiring more drivers to reduce overtime pay to senior employees. This is where a union should know who works what hours in each week so the company can't use lower wage and seniority employees to complete the work.

Thanks

D

dannyboy

Sly
I welcome the hiring of extra drivers. That allows drivers like me days off if I choose to take them. Contract reads that extra drivers? Then days off will be determined by seniority. That allows some of the "new guys" some time, and us old work horses a day off here and there.

By the same token, in the year 2000, we had a part time employee that was the highest paid non management in our building, W2 stated that he made $79,658 and change. Come to find out, they were using him to do feeder work, delivery work etc in addition to his regular duties. Needless to say, that stopped.

d

O

over9five

"Then days off will be determined by seniority"

Well, actually, seniority is the right to work, not the right for days off. The company can give whoever they want the day off (excluding O/H asked a week in advance).

D

dannyboy

While you are correct, you are also somewhat mistaken.

And I quote article 48, section 2 paragraph 2 "Voluntary time off will be offered in seniority order in each center." THat means that if there are extra drivers, and you have the seniority and want the day off without pay, you can have it and MAKE the less junior man work in your place. But the reverse also holds true. If there are no senior drivers that want the day off the least senior man MUST take the day off. I hope this helps clear that up.

d

D

dannyboy

Hey 9.5

While you stated that seniority is the right to work, it is also the right not to when there are extra people. In other words, seniority will prevail in all cases.

If you have the seniority, you can choose what you want to do. It is one of the perks of having been there longer than the others. The exception to that is the bid days off with PH/vac./sickdays. If the less senior man/woman has properly bid that day off, they are allowed to take it. If they did not properly bid that day off with pay, and you want the same day off with/without pay, under the contract you will get the day off. If you do not want it, then the next senior man can choose.

d

J

ja7618

I want more drivers to keep me from working any overtime. As for me 40 hrs a week is just perfect I so hope they are hiring!

S

steward

Where the hell are they hiring?
Western North Carolina Dist. is laying off

D

deliver_man

We are still getting hammered in N.Va, it's like Christmas never ended. Average projected volume is 48k, Monday it was 70k.

D

dannyboy

WE have the same routes in that we had by the first of November of last year. I hope that is a sign that our volume games with customers are over and they are switching back to us.

d

(Message edited by dannyboy on January 07, 2003)

U

upsdude

"We are still getting hammered in N.Va, it's like Christmas never ended. Average projected volume is 48k, Monday it was 70k."

I hear ya, we're getting our butt's kicked in SE Va as well.

O

over9five

article 48, section 2 paragraph 2 "Voluntary time off will be offered in seniority order in each center."

Thanks, Dannyboy! Ill bring that up next time I hear the "right to work" line.

J

johnny_b

Peak is finally over as of today. Yesturday was high on volume and last week was ridiculous. Central Ky.

R

rushfan

I don't know about all of you, but I'm still running 45-50 hours a week. I could use an early day once in a while.

S

steward377

(c) The Employer shall make a reasonable effort to reduce package car drivers'
workdays below 9.5 hours per day where requested. If a review indicates that
progress is not being made in the reduction of assigned hours of work, the
following language shall apply, except in the months of November and December:
Drivers shall have the right to file a grievance if the Employer has continually
worked a driver more than 9.5 hours per day for any three (3} days in a
workweek. If a grievance under this provision (or a Grievance under any
excessive overtime provision of a Supplement, Rider or Addendum) cannot be
resolved at the local level, the Union may docket the grievance to be heard by
the 9.5 Committee. This Committee shall be composed of two (2) Union and two
(2) Employer representatives. The 9.5 Committee shall have the authority to
direct the Employer to adjust the drivers work schedule. Deadlocked cases shall
be referred to the Employers Vice President of Labor Relations and the Co-Chair
of the Teamster United Parcel Service Negotiating Committee for final and
binding resolution. The Employers Vice President and the Unions Co-Chair shall
have the discretion to grant the grievant double time pay for hours worked in
excess of 9.5 per day and/or to order the Employer to adjust the drivers work