P/T to TCD Process....

Well, I am officially at UPS for 1 year as of yesterday. Really confused on what to do to become a Driver. I know I have to be a TCD first, but at the point I was asked if I wanted to become one, I was worried about my friend/T position....Did I screw myself over? I figured I could wait til a friend/T positon opened, but found out last night I would lose some $$$ by doing so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

helenofcalifornia

Do you have two jobs now? One with UPS and another FT job? I am not aware of a policy saying that you have to be a cover driver before you go full time driving. It would be to your advantage to do some kind of driving before you go FT, but it is not mandatory. I do hope you signed up on the yearly list of people who want to go driving. How long is the wait to go driving in your building?

I've been signing every bid sheet available. All the guys do. There are currently 10 TCD's and a few guys in front of me on seniority that haven't even gone to driving class yet....I've got 10 under me in seniority, although I often feel like low-man (lol)
YES, I have 2 jobs. UPS and a local newspaper during the day. UPS was only for extra $$$ for bills, but is now becoming the front runner for future salary and such.
I was told that if I wait until a friend/t spot opens, starting at friend/t without TCD, you start at $14-$15 hr. for 2 yrs., whereas if I TCD, I would go full-time at $23-$24/hr.

cgrant55

Ive never heard of the raise in start pay if you have Cover Drove before. If thats the case Id like to find out, although I dont believe it to be true