Pandemic e-commerce surge spurs race for 'Tesla-like' electric delivery vans

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Pandemic e-commerce surge spurs race for 'Tesla-like' electric delivery vans - Reuters

Delivery fleet operators face regulatory pressure in California and other states to buy electric vehicles, but a surge in package deliveries thanks to coronavirus lockdowns has major firms itching to switch to electric right now.

And they want far more than just battery-powered versions of diesel- or gas-guzzling trucks and vans.

Fleet operators such as United Parcel Service Inc (UPS.N) hunger for computers on wheels that can harvest data and upgrade safety or autonomous features overnight to save money and boost profit.

JJinVA

I swear the corporate end of UPS is retarted. They can't just fix things. They go sooooooo far over the top that they end up making things worse than before. Example, Orion 3.0. Supposedly has Artificial Intelligence that "learns how you run the route". Yet everyday, the route is just as jacked as it was before except now the DIAD is slower and loses power regardless of its in the cradle charging all day. Nevermind transfers not working 80% off the time.

This whole autonomous thing will force me back into the warehouse. I refuse to even ride in a vehicle without a steering wheel. Guess they haven't seen the video of the Tesla that has a "malfunction" where simultaneously the vehicle accelerated and the brakes failed...

No thanks... I'll pass

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
I swear the corporate end of UPS is retarted. They can't just fix things. They go sooooooo far over the top that they end up making things worse than before. Example, Orion 3.0. Supposedly has Artificial Intelligence that "learns how you run the route". Yet everyday, the route is just as jacked as it was before except now the DIAD is slower and loses power regardless of its in the cradle charging all day. Nevermind transfers not working 80% off the time.

This whole autonomous thing will force me back into the warehouse. I refuse to even ride in a vehicle without a steering wheel. Guess they haven't seen the video of the Tesla that has a "malfunction" where simultaneously the vehicle accelerated and the brakes failed...

No thanks... I'll pass
I would make Tesla go bankrupt if I had a car do that

JJinVA

I would make Tesla go bankrupt if I had a car do that

If you were lucky enough to survive it. Imagine a package car doing that. They would tell you the same thing they probably told that guy: "Yeah, there's a few kinks in the programming we gotta iron out..." while he lays there in a full body cast.

The technology just isn't there yet and I'm not gonna be a guinea pig