Part-Time Loader Moving Belts

Jet Load

I've worked at UPS for 3 months and they're short handed on an adjacent belt in the back of the building and they've been asking if I want to move every other day. I don't want to. Is there anything I can do to keep myself on the belt I'm on? I'm the best loader on my belt, but I have the least seniority. Can I take the pick off test and just throw someone else who hasn't taken it under the bus instead of me? What are my options? Do I even have any?

Edit: Also, the is one guy who -just- gained seniority below me. Can I have him move instead of me?

H

htown0721

If they want you to move, they will move you because it is not a preferred job (no pay difference) and you are suppose to work as directed. However, find you shop steward and see what he says, people in my building get moved regularly especially if you are towards the bottom of the seniority list.

RolloTony Brown Town

There's nothing you can do. As a guy who ran several outbound belts, why not just ask your sup if he can not send you everyday. Most supervisors will respect you coming to them with it. Honestly though, you ARE new and you gotta earn those stripes. I used to send my newer employees out as a sign of respect to my more senior employees who would (much like yourself) prefer to be on their belt. make the best out of the situation you got. Peaks here and newer employees will get sent out in lieu of you.

anonymous4

Make it clear you don't want to go. An unhappy employee is unproductive so there might be some accommodation. Ultimately, if they need you there you're going and you probably shouldn't make too big a deal about unless you'd like to end up in a worse spot. So make it known you'd prefer to stay, if there isn't much of a choice just go because there isn't much time to tolerate whining unless there is a breach of contract on their part. Then you make the time for them.

HubBub

Or you could just be a team player and work hard wherever they put you. I personally like moving around the hub as much as possible, working different areas or doing different jobs. Keeps things a little less monotonous and gives you a chance to meet new people.

They are allowed to. Sucks I know.

They can re-staff you to any non-prefferred inside position (loader, unloader, smalls bagger) they have the need to fill, and unfortunately, you must work as instructed.

Seniority and pick off tests in this situation mean nothing unless there is current need for a permanent pick off spot to be filled. Same with sorting.... which is typically far easier to get into than pick off.

RolloTony Brown Town

Thats a crappy situation but if you're as good of an employee as you claim, then you'll be fine and the probably want a better hourly on the belt to not only solidify staffing numbers but quality wise as well.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Is it really that big of a deal to go to another belt? It all pays the same. Show up work as instructed and deposit that check every Friday.

WhereDoIWorkAgain

Officially there is likely very little you can do, unofficially you can likely do quite a bit.

First ask your area sup where you currently are to stay, if you are really one of his top people he will likely want to keep you, especially since it sounds like you are cheap hours. Second go to the other area do the job, but don't do it as effectively as you do the area where you currently are, make up something for a reason like you don't know the towns or streets there, Or the new state triggers your dyslexia. Just whine for some reason at my hub the people who are first class whiners tend to get what they want regardless of merit.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I've worked at UPS for 3 months and they're short handed on an adjacent belt in the back of the building and they've been asking if I want to move every other day. I don't want to. Is there anything I can do to keep myself on the belt I'm on? I'm the best loader on my belt, but I have the least seniority. Can I take the pick off test and just throw someone else who hasn't taken it under the bus instead of me? What are my options? Do I even have any?

Edit: Also, the is one guy who -just- gained seniority below me. Can I have him move instead of me?

As a part-time hourly at UPS, this attitude will get you far.... moved far around, anyway.

ocnewguy

i'd take the pick off test regardless just for the buck. it puzzles me why most loaders don't take it. it's free money. it's not going to help you to stay on your belt however