Part-time Preload Sup...what should I do/expect?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was a part time sup in 1986, and stayed til 1992. I started at 1200 per month salary, based on 25 hrs. I left in 1992 at 1875. based on 25 hrs. Now it is 5 1/2 a day and overtime in some form after that.
Since it isnt your only choice. do the view. Even though the pt sups do seem to be under dogs, if you are as good at working with people as you sound on here, you and UPS would benefit from your appointment.
The drivers, (I used to call them mine, only coz I loved them) will appreciate anyone who takes a interest in their dispatch problems with your loaders. The loaders will respect you if you listen. I had never loaded a pkg in my life when I was promoted, I was a clerk, and anything else they asked me to be, and if you work well with people UPS people will go to the ends of the earth to help you succeed. I learned my job from the people I supervised. And 15 yrs later I still talk to many of them although I am far away from them. UPS hires great people for the most part. Ive never met a better bunch.
I cant speak to benefits as when I was in I had the same as the hourly, and I never had the chance to use maternity benefits so I cant speak to that.
You know people, find a driver on his lunch, buy him a coffee, and pick his brain, or hers. you will find negativity, but you are smart enough to feel your way. Make the right decision based on what the interviewer and what people here tell you. There are alot of positive aspects, the knowledge, the people and having it on your resume will never hurt. Good luck.

BrownKnows

I was a part time sup in 1986, and stayed til 1992. I started at 1200 per month salary, based on 25 hrs. I left in 1992 at 1875. based on 25 hrs. Now it is 5 1/2 a day and overtime in some form after that.
Since it isnt your only choice. do the view. Even though the pt sups do seem to be under dogs, if you are as good at working with people as you sound on here, you and UPS would benefit from your appointment.
The drivers, (I used to call them mine, only coz I loved them) will appreciate anyone who takes a interest in their dispatch problems with your loaders. The loaders will respect you if you listen. I had never loaded a pkg in my life when I was promoted, I was a clerk, and anything else they asked me to be, and if you work well with people UPS people will go to the ends of the earth to help you succeed. I learned my job from the people I supervised. And 15 yrs later I still talk to many of them although I am far away from them. UPS hires great people for the most part. Ive never met a better bunch.
I cant speak to benefits as when I was in I had the same as the hourly, and I never had the chance to use maternity benefits so I cant speak to that.
You know people, find a driver on his lunch, buy him a coffee, and pick his brain, or hers. you will find negativity, but you are smart enough to feel your way. Make the right decision based on what the interviewer and what people here tell you. There are alot of positive aspects, the knowledge, the people and having it on your resume will never hurt. Good luck.

Thank you for the kind words and advice Toonertoo.

I can really appreciate the situation you were in and worked through and hope that if the chance presents itself, I can do the same. I do appreciate your positive thoughts on the matter. I know it would certainly be an uphill battle for me, however it wouldn't be the first time I had to learn something directly from people whom I was to also supervise. I'm sure I can't change everyone's mind or gain everyone's support, but I like to think that over the years I've earned a great deal of respect from those that I've worked for, those that I've worked with and those that have worked for me. I don't believe there is anything to be gained from stepping on the toes of others, but I've found that when I come into a new situation and show those around me that I truly want to learn from them and do whatever I can to help them, I have typically gotten a good response from those people.

If it pans out, then hopefully I'll be able to say the same for this situation too.

Again, thanks so much! :thumbup1:

BrownKnows

So I just got an email from UPS interested in bringing me in for an interview for the pt sup job. Anyone have any ideas about what I should expect or prepare for? This certainly isn't my first trip around the block with an interview, but each one can be very different. Any advice on questions that I should be prepared to ask?

Thanks ladies and gents!

hoser

Industrial Slob
They're going extrenal because none of the internals want to sacrifice their freedom for a higher position. They want predictability and the ability to take days off without getting hassled. You don't get that as a PT sup although you get paid and taken care of accordingly.

hoser

Industrial Slob
And, if that's the case, then I'm completely fine with that. :cool:
It's all about fit. It doesn't fit for my lifestyle, but it fits for some people's lifestyles. If it fit with my schedule and demands, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

All the best to you on that :thumbup1:

Advice: be modest, but not so modest to the point of where you're going to get walked all over. You're supervising a blue collar environment, it took me a few months to adjust working in one after selling jeans at a Banana Republic for a year.

W

westsideworma

It's all about fit. It doesn't fit for my lifestyle, but it fits for some people's lifestyles. If it fit with my schedule and demands, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

All the best to you on that :thumbup1:

Advice: be modest, but not so modest to the point of where you're going to get walked all over. You're supervising a blue collar environment, it took me a few months to adjust working in one after selling jeans at a Banana Republic for a year.

See for me I'll likely be supervising the job I currently do and everyone there knows I'm a hard worker and that I know what its like to figuratively get punched in the face repeatedly everyday so I think they'd be more likely to listen to me if I offer suggestion etc. I was basically running the show at my end of the line today as to where overflow for certain stops goes etc (supe was asking me lol) and people normally come to me for questions.

The real problems come from up above as they HAAAATE giving out extra time even when its needed (I know it comes from orders even above them, it still sucks)..and PT supes have no control of that.

Like today when we were hit with an extra 8,000+ packages, due to a train derailment last week and they didn't start us any earlier....yea lets just say that plan didn't work for lines 1 and 2 (the heaviest lines in the building usually, well line 1 anyway). The heavy pulls didn't wrap...mine being one of them. I work at the same safe but brisk pace no matter how much work there is, afterall we're supposed to be safe, if I'm getting more work and not started earlier...well you can figure out what will happen.

W

westsideworma

You don't get that as a PT sup although you get paid and taken care of accordingly.

some would debate that its a promotion lol :wink:, but anyway supes in our hub seem to get time off whenever they want/need it. I mean its probably frowned upon but they can't afford to lose good supes I would imagine, seeing as they can't find enough people in operations to promote.

BrownKnows

Westside, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to fill me in on your situation and for the information you've offered thus far. You've been a BIG help! :thumbup:

If it means anything, the shift this job is on is from 2am-7:30am. I usually go in for my full-time job at 10am and work til 6 or 7pm. The only time that's different is for one of my current classes which is on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 8am. I indicated that class on my application and it didn't deter them from calling, so I'll count that as a good thing. The biggest adjustment for me at this point will be making myself go to bed EARLY during the week as to get as much sleep as I can.

Something else I'm thinking about...since I already have great benefits...if I decline signing up for any benefits in the beginning and say, 6 months down the road I think I might just take this job on as my primary one...when would I be eligible to sign on to the benefits again? Is there an annual enrollment period as with most companies? Would it change anything being that I had benefits through one company but don't have them anymore, perhaps allowing me to sign up benefits prior to the enrollment period? Heck, does anyone know what PT supe benefits (just health ins) run?

W

westsideworma

Westside, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to fill me in on your situation and for the information you've offered thus far. You've been a BIG help! :thumbup:

If it means anything, the shift this job is on is from 2am-7:30am. I usually go in for my full-time job at 10am and work til 6 or 7pm. The only time that's different is for one of my current classes which is on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 8am. I indicated that class on my application and it didn't deter them from calling, so I'll count that as a good thing. The biggest adjustment for me at this point will be making myself go to bed EARLY during the week as to get as much sleep as I can.

Something else I'm thinking about...since I already have great benefits...if I decline signing up for any benefits in the beginning and say, 6 months down the road I think I might just take this job on as my primary one...when would I be eligible to sign on to the benefits again? Is there an annual enrollment period as with most companies? Would it change anything being that I had benefits through one company but don't have them anymore, perhaps allowing me to sign up benefits prior to the enrollment period? Heck, does anyone know what PT supe benefits (just health ins) run?

thats actually something I'd like to know, I know PT supes pay for bennies but last I heard it wasn't that much. I know it could be more now so I'm kind of curious. Any PT supes or management types care to shed some light on this? :thumbup1:

hoser

Industrial Slob
some would debate that its a promotion lol :wink:, but anyway supes in our hub seem to get time off whenever they want/need it. I mean its probably frowned upon but they can't afford to lose good supes I would imagine, seeing as they can't find enough people in operations to promote.
My sups get such a hard time for taking their Christmas stat in March. All based on the operation, I guess.

gwenls

Hey there. :) This is my first time replying, but I did want to give my two cents on the matter.

I am a part-time supervisor in the Western Carolina district- we're nearby Atlanta. Our conditions sound fairly similiar to your center's and so I thought perhaps my input may be valuable.

I started "off the street" just as you are- though I did have prior UPS experience (sort of) by working at Mailboxes, Etc, now the UPS Store. I started around $1500/mo before taxes and at that time it was based on a 25 hour work week.

Now, ALL part-time management are required to stay under 27.5 hours/week. Anything over 27.5 and under 40 is 110% but taxed at the overtime rate. Anything over 40 is 150%. Sixth days are 150% and seventh days are 200%. This is standard for ALL part-time supervisors.

Raises are given annually in March and are based on your QPR (Quality Performance Rating) score for the previous year. Honestly? The QPR usually measures performance you typically have little control over or it will have extremely unrealistic goals that upper management has decided in cooperation with IE.

There is a half-month bonus given in December, in the beginning of the month. This is to compensate for the discrepancy in the amount of days of the month from month to month.

Benefits are elected in November and go into effect in January of each calendar year. The only time you can make changes during the rest of the year are new employee status, marriage/divorce, and/or new child status. However, the new child status can only be added if you yourself have already elected health benefits.

As for cost, I only pay $20/mo on average. I have 85% coverage with a $15 copay, 100% dental, and free vision. It is VERY excellent coverage- I am rather tempted to keep this job indefinitely simply for the benefits.

There is education reimbursement provided to ALL part-time management. $4,000/year is provided following completion of the course provided you receive a "C" average or above and have paid for the course.

I would seriously take to heart that it is a VERY high stress job. I would personally never take a preload sup position, nor do I honestly think highly of any manager that opts to hire such a position off the street. I am assuming they are doing this because they have no other options at this juncture. Let me defend that position by stating there ARE some part-time sup positions at UPS that CAN be filled by off the street personell- I am one that has thrived. I took an OMS (now PTPCS) position four years ago. However, I had previous experience with UPS service and it was a service oriented job. The preload, on the other hand, is a completely foreign operation and there is no comparison in any industry but the shipping industry, especially in a PAS location.

This job WILL be hard. And there is a VERY good possibility that you will feel rather immediately that it is not high paying enough to compensate you for the amount of stress you will be undergoing on a regular basis.

If you DO decide to take the job: Keep in mind that you CANNOT be forced to work off the clock. If your management coerces you to work off the clock as ours tends to, do NOT cave in. If they threaten you, go above their head using the Open Door policy. The salaried position of part-time sups no longer means that hours are not kept up with, as it has in the past. PTRS accounts for hours and you need to be honest and not rob yourself of the hours you work. That being said, it is NOT lucrative to work over 27.5 hours until you work several hours over, as it is taxed higher than the rest of your check.

Good luck in your decision! I hope I was at least a little help. :wink:

Lobofan5

I have been with UPS for 2 years now and fairly quickly realized that the PT/Sup position is a dead end loser of a job. I spoke to many pt/sups in my hub, most who had been pt for 3+ years, all said they regretted going into it and now have no hope of any future UPS job, until a FT position opens up. The biggest *red flag* I saw was that if you accept the PT job, you leave the Union, and in my 2 years of humble observation, UPS is a bad place to work if you don't have the Union protection, and Union Benefits. I watch the PT sup's come, lose all optimism that they had for the job..and then go.

My vote is, PT/Sup is a dead end trap, that only a few seem to survive, and I have yet to meet anyone who thrived.

hoser

Industrial Slob
I have been with UPS for 2 years now and fairly quickly realized that the PT/Sup position is a dead end loser of a job. I spoke to many pt/sups in my hub, most who had been pt for 3+ years, all said they regretted going into it and now have no hope of any future UPS job, until a FT position opens up. The biggest *red flag* I saw was that if you accept the PT job, you leave the Union, and in my 2 years of humble observation, UPS is a bad place to work if you don't have the Union protection, and Union Benefits. I watch the PT sup's come, lose all optimism that they had for the job..and then go.

My vote is, PT/Sup is a dead end trap, that only a few seem to survive, and I have yet to meet anyone who thrived.

As a former candidate, I fully agree with this.

However, we have to base this on what works. If you're busy with other hobbies and school, this is the case. But if this is all you have going in your life (on top of pt school, stay at home parenting, etc), then it would be a good fit.

brownieboy

Qualifications for a PT Sup:
1: Carry a clipboard
2: Say "I dont know" alot
3: Shrug shoulders alot
4:Ignore a question and disappear
5:Teach the same "rules" day in and day out, then break them daily