Pay raise for cover drivers

Ghost in the Darkness

Anybody know why cover drivers were given a raise? Those of us who are fulltime and in our progression for full pay are now making less than these non-full time drivers. What gives?

Last edited:

Pollocknbrown

yes but after 3 years we cover drivers are making 24/hr and not garunteed more than 16 hrs a week in our supplemental....youll be making 32/hr and garunteed 40 as long as u show up on time.

currahee

yes but after 3 years we cover drivers are making 24/hr and not garunteed more than 16 hrs a week in our supplemental....youll be making 32/hr and garunteed 40 as long as u show up on time.

Pollock are you saying that a cover driver that has made seniority isnt gauranteed 40.If so thats messed up!I have never heard of that, our cover guys are gauranteed 8 when you walk in the door.

Ghost in the Darkness

But that shouldn't mean we progression drivers deserve to be punished (and paid less) because we accepted full-time spots. We do the same work. Most of the cover drivers in our building work everyday... and although they are first to be laid off management always finds seniority drivers to take a day off. Don't get me wrong because I'm not begruding them getting a raise, but we progression drivers deserve to be atleast caught up with our progression percentage. I don't understand why parts of this contract are already going into effect and others not until August 1.

Overpaid Union Thug

I think it's messed up that TCDs, including myself, have made more money for 2007 than progression full-timers hired back in 2005. Those guys worked just about every day last year doing the same job but we grossed more for the year even though we worked less. That is UPS in a nutshell for ya. What a company!

Pollocknbrown

Pollock are you saying that a cover driver that has made seniority isnt gauranteed 40.If so thats messed up!I have never heard of that, our cover guys are gauranteed 8 when you walk in the door.

In the buffalo supplemental a cover driver if they work a week say next week, they are only garunteed 2 days of work, nothing more, the rest is gravy (granted usually if they are asked to drive its all week).

E

ELE0MENT

I work for the syracuse gateway. I am interested in becoming a cover driver. I get mixed feelings about the position. Im just curious to know, Ive been told covers are guarenteed 16 hours? Are there gonna be weeks where they wont call at all?

Pollocknbrown

No no, cover drivers (at least here) that aren't asked to drive the following week(s) generally go back to a PT job for those week(s) until called back.

G

gotname

ive been cover for over 6years(chose 2B)...here in VA our cover drivers are just like drivers who have bid routes...we get paid the same show up everyday and definitely arent the first to get laid off...they go from top of the list and ask who wants volunteer lay off..