Pension hike

Sportello

As it was. Obama did not get an 18% increase in his pension, and I did not quote Wikileaks. Your reading comprehension needs some work.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You are right that I miss typed "WikiLeaks" instead of "Wikipedia", I don't consider either of those sources to be definitive about anything.

The White House did ask for a presidential pension increase though in the last year of Obama's term. We have two Democratic and two Republican former Presidents now, we just lost former First Lady Nancy Reagan. Three of the former Presidents are up there in age and nobody lives forever. We have a lot of career politicians that have made a lot more money on the side than what their government salaries paid. The Clinton's especially have faired well with being overpaid with speaking fees and Obama will do the same. The Bushes did well on their own and don't travel as much. I don't think that any politician deserves these elaborate benefits that they vote to give themselves.

Sportello

scratch, the amount of the pension is determined by the salary of an Executive Level 1. The original post by Rod was very misleading, if not an intentional distortion. The POTUS receives a pension that is a fraction of what someone like Scott Davis, for example, receives.

Whether any politician 'deserves' compensation after they retire is debatable, but to say that the Obama's are 'feathering the nest' is an outright lie.

teamer

scratch, the amount of the pension is determined by the salary of an Executive Level 1. The original post by Rod was very misleading, if not an intentional distortion. The POTUS receives a pension that is a fraction of what someone like Scott Davis, for example, receives.

Whether any politician 'deserves' compensation after they retire is debatable, but to say that the Obama's are 'feathering the nest' is an outright lie.

why would it be debatable. you don't think Obama can pull in Clinton money making speeches? If anything he can get more since Hillary speaking is like watching paint dry.

teamer

That is not at all what I said. Read it again, slowly...

regardless I don't see how you can justify an 18 percent increase. Bill Clinton took in 924 , 000 despite the fact he does not need the money. why defend things like this that do not need defending?

rod

Retired 22 years

It wasn't intentionally misleading. I was under the assumption that the POTUS had already raised his and all retired Pres. & 1st Ladies pensions. I know his / their pensions probably don't equal what major Companies CEO's would get. My beef is that even is he was to only get a dollar a year pension he has NO business asking for an 18% increase in his income when it was determined by his coharts that the cost of living didn't warrant a raise in social security for the rest of the retired people.

Sportello

regardless I don't see how you can justify an 18 percent increase. Bill Clinton took in 924 , 000 despite the fact he does not need the money. why defend things like this that do not need defending?
Just because I have a soft spot for oxen...

There is not an 18% increase. Every former POTUS receives the same pension. It is the same as the salary for a Level 1. That currently is a bit over $200k/yr. There are other allowances for office and staff. The Congress holds the purse strings, and GWB is the only person getting more than a million/yr, total.

No one is getting more money, not even the usurper.

Geesh.

rod

Retired 22 years
No one is getting more money, not even the usurper.

Geesh.

According to the Market Watch website Obama has asked for an 18% increase in retired Presidents and 1st ladies pensions to be included in the 2017 budget. (Just in time for him to collect it).

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
How about we tie government pension increases for congressmen and presidents to Social Security increases?

That will stop their pensions from increasing.

Sportello

It wasn't intentionally misleading. I was under the assumption that the POTUS had already raised his and all retired Pres. & 1st Ladies pensions. I know his / their pensions probably don't equal what major Companies CEO's would get. My beef is that even is he was to only get a dollar a year pension he has NO business asking for an 18% increase in his income when it was determined by his coharts that the cost of living didn't warrant a raise in social security for the rest of the retired people.
@rod, you posted an intentionally misleading statement. There was no 18% increase in individual pensions. To try to tie it with the lack of a SS increase (I'm on SS) was doubly misleading.

The following quote by you is just nonsense and doesn't deserve a response, so I'll just leave it here.
My beef is that even is he was to only get a dollar a year pension he has NO business asking for an 18% increase in his income when it was determined by his coharts that the cost of living didn't warrant a raise in social security for the rest of the retired people.

rod

Retired 22 years
@rod, you posted an intentionally misleading statement. There was no 18% increase in individual pensions. To try to tie it with the lack of a SS increase (I'm on SS) was doubly misleading.

The following quote by you is just nonsense and doesn't deserve a response, so I'll just leave it here.

So let me get this straight. You are OK with him wanting to add 18% on to his income after retiring even though you (as a taxpayer on Social Security who was informed that you didn't need a raise this year) would be paying for it out of your taxes? That blows my mind.

Sportello

So let me get this straight. You are OK with him wanting to add 18% on to his income after retiring even though you (as a taxpayer on Social Security who was informed that you didn't need a raise this year) would be paying for it out of your taxes? That blows my mind.
Rod, he is not adding anything to his income.

That you keep doubling down, blows my mind.

rod

Retired 22 years
Rod, he is not adding anything to his income.

That you keep doubling down, blows my mind.

So right now he is qualified to get X amount for a pension when he retires and he wants 18% more PLUS a pension for the Queen--- but that won't add to his "retirement" pension income? I guess you and I use different math.

Sportello

Last time, Rod. He gets what every other former POTUS gets, not 3/5's of it.

There was not a raise of individual benefits.

You can't possibly be that dense, can you?