Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

Hobizzle

View attachment 287390
Only half kidding. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if it could be sexually transmitted.
They have found that it’s found and still active in semen. My source is a friend who is an RN. That said-she’s the paranoid type so I’d be about 75% confident in that statement. Generally speaking, this virus is transmissible through fluids so it would make sense.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
1st. NE supplement.

2nd. This virus can survive on cardboard for up to 24 hours. I realize doctors/nurses need supplies more than us but when I'm delivering Clorox wipes and my center won't even provide them I get pissed. I have my own supply of disinfectants and PPE but the company should at least try to supply us. I'm almost out of hand sanitizer maybe one more week.

A few questions, I know In my last center (bigger than the one I'm in now) we were supplied gloves as inside workers if requested dont know what's happening there now. I will go to my steward later but I'm newish and dont want to seem like a crazy person. I'm going to reread the contract later but I figured I'd post this now because I have a lot of concearns considering no preloaders at my current center have or use any gloves... or any PPE for that matter...

3rd. Gloves, and I mean disposable medical gloves. Nobody in my center has them, nobody uses them. I could get sick just from my preloader let alone the 100 other people who touched the box. Is the company required to supply us with disposable gloves. The ones during winter are more harm than good because I cant throw them out after I go deliver at a hospital and will bring it home, same for preloaders.

4th. Disinfectant wipes. I have these also but they really work best on already cleaned surfaces, my cab hasn't been washed in months. Can I take time to clean my own cab with water/soap at end of day at least to make disinfecting easier and actually work. Can we request wipes as well?

5th. Masks. I see some drivers using makeshift masks. These are mostly seniority drivers who can get away with a lot. Are these allowed (basically any mouth/nose covering like a bandana). Can I wear medical masks if I have some. I doubt this due to lack of supply/need for hospitals but should the company supply us with some.

6th. Hand sanitizer. Also low in supply but drivers especially need something. I think I have 3 reststops on my route and they say wash your hands... how...

7th. If these supplies aren't currently required then what the friend is the union going to do about it because I haven't heard a word. The union "fought" for 2 weeks sick pay but you need to be diagnosed with covid-19... good luck getting a test. That's something but if the union cant even supply PPE then its piss poor and this is coming from some1 who loves the union but has seen no action during a global pandemic.

GIVE ME AND MY PRELOADER SOME GLOVES, WIPES, AND SOAP
Listen ups had a chance to buy for each warehouse 4 weeks ago but failed to do so. They waited on purpose. Guess why?

Foamer Pyle

It protects the hands where most virus /germs get in from openings in the skin. They also serves as a reminder not to touch your face.
I have heard it said many times that this virus must get in through your mouth or nose, and into your airways, not from a cut. Gloves will do absolutely nothing. You wash your hands and keep them clean, and don’t touch your face or eat with dirty hands.

Slacker45

I feel you anger on some of it. I found where the office workers and clerks had stashed lysol and gloves. I made sure that myself and my fellow drivers could share in that wealth. People are nuts right now. Have you tried asking the porter if they have some lysol you could at least spray your cab down with or some bleach? It ain't much but it's better than nothing.
I've been cleaning my cab with my own supply right now but it will only last so long

Slacker45

I have heard it said many times that this virus must get in through your mouth or nose, and into your airways, not from a cut. Gloves will do absolutely nothing. You wash your hands and keep them clean, and don’t touch your face or eat with dirty hands.
Gloves reduce viral loads on your hands, and make you not touch your face. I can wear gloves, touch the virus and take them off removing the virus from my body.

GLOVES HELP

Doctors wear gloves... I wonder why that is

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Doctors wear gloves... I wonder why that is
OMG it makes so much sense now!!!!

aliens.jpg

Good luck getting PPE that actually works against viral contamination. Local doctors can't even get that stuff. Why would the company even provide it.

Not saying it wouldn't be nice, or that they really should try. But considering conditions as they are. I'd just be :censored2:ing happy if they cleaned the building for once as it is.

Slacker45

Good luck getting PPE that actually works against viral contamination. Local doctors can't even get that stuff. Why would the company even provide it.

Not saying it wouldn't be nice, or that they really should try. But considering conditions as they are. I'd just be :censored2:ing happy if they cleaned the building for once as it is.
Then they shouldn't send us out. I'm pissed. Because I'm low enough in seniority that once amazon orders stop I'm going to be laid off, but I have to stick my neck out without any talk or help from the company

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
First off, the gloves that might help wouldn't last ten packages before ripping. Second, work gloves are not designed to prevent diseases. Third, most people don't know how to properly remove latex/nitrile gloves properly to prevent infection. And last, but not least, unless you are a medical facility, you ain't getting medical type gloves.

To those of you who are hyperventilating right now, I'm pretty.sure there are therapists available to talk, over video chat, about your germophobic pathologies.

giphy (9).gif

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I really feel bad for you guys. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I've read that masks don't work ( who knows what to believe?) . gloves seem good since how often would you touch your eyes, nose, mouth with gloves on? washing with soap and water is better than sanitizer.

nurse across the street told me he washes his hands at least 20 times a day and washes his clothes every night. The big boss at the hospital told them they are expecting a 56% infection rate for Americans even with all these precautions. They just want to slow the spread down so as not to overload healthcare system.

One good thing for UPSers is that you are stronger and healthier than the average American and will survive this most likely like a bad case of the flu.

It's us old retired farts and our spouses that are high risk and/or people with underlying health issues.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
There's so many conflicting articles now on how long the virus survives on surfaces. I just read one today saying now it's 3 hours on metals and 24 hours on cardboard/plastic and have read the articles stating 72 hours on metal and a few hours on paper/cardboard. It's starting to get overwhelming and who knows what UPS is basing their strategy on.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
There's so many conflicting articles now on how long the virus survives on surfaces. I just read one today saying now it's 3 hours on metals and 24 hours on cardboard/plastic and have read the articles stating 72 hours on metal and a few hours on paper/cardboard. It's starting to get overwhelming and who knows what UPS is basing their strategy on.

Just wear your mask, you'll be fine.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Story on yahoo about a 60 member choir who followed most of the methods of standards for protection. None of the members shows symptoms before the practice, 47 (who were tested) came back positive and 3 have died so far.

This virus can be transmitted by breath, talking or opening your mouth. I still see work groups in our building that continue to fail to maintain the 6 foot rule, yapping away thus become prime candidates for being carriers or catching the germ. Also it can probably get to you through your eyes and possibly your ears.

We have 14 days till this virus peaks according to medical experts. Everybody better reconsider their individual work habits to keep from spreading this further. I plan to practice sign language and gesturing and keeping my mouth shut and anybody who comes within 6 feet of me will be warned, really there is still a lot of clueless people out there who have no concept of what is going to come down (customers and fellow co-workers).

We have all done some real unwise decision making since this virus came into play mainly through ignorance, hindsight will not help. It is a time to work smarter and start calling out unsafe practices that you see in your work place and protect yourself and others.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Yall are dumb.
#1. I dont believe in viruses and im fine.
#2. If viruses were real, and this particular one is so deadly, youre best off being one of the first ones that get it in your area. Care and resources wont be taken by the hogs.
#3. Stay hydrated