Personal stereos/ CB radio's in yard goats/ hostlers

Z

ziffle

<font color="119911"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font>Last July personal stereos, CB radios, cell phones and all electronic devices were banned from our yard goats/hostling tractors in the Oregon district. A panel hearing upheld the ban. Is this a nationwide ban?</font>}

S

scratch_king

The shifters at our hub drive like maniacs, I'm surprised they haven't run over people walking out of the Customer Counter. Shifters should concentrate on their job, not some electronic distraction. One of my first full time supervisors was killed years ago at a dock by a trailor backing up and the driver wasn't paying attention.

Z

ziffle

<font color="119911"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font>I am sure every district is different, however in ours the shifters all drive 10 mph or less. We get paid by the hour so there is no insentive to drive crazy. I have to disagree with you nevadapaul. At Portland, we have had stereos, and CB radio's in our goats for years with no problem. The CB radio's helped us to communicate with the drivers in tractors in the yard. I am sorry to hear about your supervisor that was killed at the dock, but what the heck was he doing back there? Stereo or no, we just can not see behind the trailers we are backing. I have a hard time believing the shifter saw a person in his way and backed over him.</font>}

Z

ziffle

<font color="119911"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font>Oops, sorry. I was refering to Scratch king not nevadapaul.</font>}

N

nevadapaul

Those shifters have cell phones, Nextel walkie talkies, Ipods, soon they will have dvd players. They are distracting whether your a shifter, or on road. JMO

Z

ziffle

<font color="119911"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font>Ok then, thanks for the information. Sounds like the company is not enforcing the ban on electronics nationwide. Are there any CACH hub shifters/hostlers</font>} out there?

B

brett636

When I am walking from my car to the hub I almost always hear the radio of some shifter moving trailers. They have always had a ban on cell phones in my building, but that rule is ignored by hourly's and management alike. I guess its just your district, but if they are anything like mine they will be focusing on something different in a month and the ban will all be forgotten.

D

ddomino

If they ban the use of electronics in company vehicles, they wont be able to implement DIAD IV. The new version, I am told, not only has GPS but also a walkie talkie feature like Nextel direct connect. Unless there is a way to disable it, they will be calling us moments after we exit the building, on the highway, at customer locations, and even in the bathroom, if we take the diad with us. So big brother wants it when it benefits them only.....

F

feederdude

The National contract has had a restriction on the amount of miles driven for a CB, or personal radios that go into a cab. I believe it is 100 or more miles driven (not sure though on the total miles). This has been around for quite some time. The negative side is, a poor manager will threaten to have the radio's removed when tension rises in the operation. The intent was for safety, but on any Feeder run, if you are up at night, a radio can be a positive safety factor just as easily as it can be a negative one depending on the individual, and the common sense involved.
Be prepared....expect the unexpected.
Feederdude
sleeping.gif

S

scratch_king

HR GUY
No, this happened at I believe the Atlanta Hub where I started about eight or ten years ago. I had transfered across town to a newer Hub so I don't know all the details involved. I do know that we have recently implemented a new policy that anybody in the yard has to be wearing a safety vest after three other incidents. As for myself, I don't use a radio in my Package Car even though our Automotive Dept. will install a cigarette lighter to plug into the socket. I take my driving seriously and I don't talk on my phone when I'm rolling down the road. I do notice a lot of part-timers and hub management talking personal business on their cell phones during their work shifts. I wonder if this explains to a certain extent why the Preload can't go down on time sometimes.

T

tieguy

I would think a CB and or radio playing music at a reasonable decible level would be ok in most yards. Cell phone usage while driving should definitely be banned. Many yard shifters in hubs are in radio communication with a yard controller unless they have shift comm. Safety has to be the ultimate concern. Most of your feeder accidents happen on property. Accidents involving a pedestrian in the yard are usually serious. Every yard in most of our larger buildings should be practicing the new yard control procedures which require vests and cones and designate specific break areas and walk paths.

D

ddomino

A feeder driver in our building told me they now have new rules when hooking up. Before hooking to the trailor, they must enter the building and verify no one is in trailor. After hooking up but before pulling off they must verify again from inside building no one inside. When told this by his sup he asked if their time to do such would be adjusted. The sup said he would look into it. Haven't heard the results. I do think safety should be first. The company puts it first only if it costs minimal or nothing. Otherwise it takes years to change.

Z

ziffle

Yeah, kind of. At least at our hub in Portland Oregon yard goats and tractors have to stop before coupling to a trailer that is on a load or unload door and look to see if anyone is in the trailer. Then notify them we will be hooking up. Then we enter the building to make sure the trailer and dock door are bolth closed before moving the trailer.

Tieguy, I agree about the cell phone usage while shifting in the yard. It looks dangerous to me and has been banned since July of '05. The new safety rules took place then too. Safety vests, orange cones, lights and 4-way flashers on at all times, ect. At least in our hub AM/FM and CB radios were banned as well. Most of us in goats have been using them for years with no problem. The AM/FM helped us stay awake when we work the graveyard shift, and the CB's were nice to be able to communicate with the tractor drivers.We could ask them to spot their loads on a door or they could ask us to look up the location of their trailers on our shift comms, help hook their sets or whatever. <font color="119911"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font></font>}

T

tieguy

ziffle I agree about the CB's they are a big help to the drivers. But then cell phones are too. I don't what I would if feeder drivers did not carry cell phones and take my call when I need something.