Policy on report-in recordings and draft lists

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I'm wondering if anyone can give me info on this. I have a friend who works at a station where they are required to call a recording every morning to see what their start time is. I know this is a no-no, but no one will fight it so it continues. Also, their management has two "draft lists" (one primary, and one secondary), from which they can draft at will, an employee to cover a route that day or a Saturday if they don't have enough bodies. I have always thought that your scheduled (black & white on paper) start time is your start time, period. And also, they have to give you a minimum advanced notice if your schedule changes. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me or point me to the correct policy on this. Thanks!

FedExRookie

I have a friend who works at a station where they are required to call a recording every morning to see what their start time is. I know this is a no-no, but no one will fight it so it continues.

We had a long 'discussion' here about that, well as good as a discussion as you can get on this forum, and no one could cite any sources stating calling in is illegal. Some states have specific laws against it; however, if your state does not have laws against it there is almost nothing you can do.

I'm to lazy to search for the thread or google the information. It was something along the lines of (with some follow up I did on my own)...

'on-call' - From what I gathered you get paid if you are at work waiting for work. So if a CTV is 1 hour behind, you are 'on call' until the CTV is arrive and are paid. If you have to physically show up to find out your schedule, assuming there is no way to find out without showing up, you are on call.

If the station/ramp/hub made the employee physically go onto the property, the employee would be 'on the company's premises' and would fall under 'on call' and would have to be compensated. Since they are having you *cough, your friend* call to find out if you have to go in, you don't have to wait on the company's property, you are not on call.

I emailed the closest office via the dol.gov website since no one could cite anything legitimate. So unless that state has a SPECIFIC law regarding it, it is 100% legal.

FedExRookie

Also, their management has two "draft lists" (one primary, and one secondary), from which they can draft at will, an employee to cover a route that day or a Saturday if they don't have enough bodies. I have always thought that your scheduled (black & white on paper) start time is your start time, period.

From the DOL.GOV site

"The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) has no provisions regarding the scheduling of employees, with the exception of certain child labor provisions. Therefore, an employer may change an employee's work hours without giving prior notice or obtaining the employee's consent (unless otherwise subject to a prior agreement between the employer and employee or the employee's representative)."

!Retired!

There is no policy regarding, what we call it here, the 'snowline'. The name was changed to 'information' because of legal issues.....go figure. Anyway, even though we call it in the morning, we are able to start at whatever time we were initially scheduled for. We do need to notify management and they will find us work for the extra time. In my experience/opinion, this would never work in NY. I used to catch a bus at 4:45 to be there in time for a 6:30 sort.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
There is no policy regarding, what we call it here, the 'snowline'. The name was changed to 'information' because of legal issues.....go figure. Anyway, even though we call it in the morning, we are able to start at whatever time we were initially scheduled for. We do need to notify management and they will find us work for the extra time. In my experience/opinion, this would never work in NY. I used to catch a bus at 4:45 to be there in time for a 6:30 sort.

When I was at a station in Florida, we also had to call an information line. For a while, we would have to change our start times accordingly, until they said because of a lawsuit, it was found to not be legal. They then changed it to the system that you described here. Where I am now though, we never call a recording. I guess I'll have to research it online for my friend (yes, there really is a friend, lol). I was hoping to avoid having to do that.

FedExRookie

When I was at a station in Florida, we also had to call an information line. For a while, we would have to change our start times accordingly, until they said because of a lawsuit, it was found to not be legal. They then changed it to the system that you described here. Where I am now though, we never call a recording. I guess I'll have to research it online for my friend (yes, there really is a friend, lol). I was hoping to avoid having to do that.

Go the the DOL.GOV site and locate the office that is close to your friend. http://www.dol.gov/whd/america2.htm

There is no federal law against 'flexible scheduling' as I quoted from the DOL site. It's dependent on what you signed when you took employment, what your representatives have agreed to (Union), or if there are state laws relative to scheduling alterations.

Going through notes when I looked into this:

Waiting Time: Whether waiting time is hours worked under the Act depends upon the particular circumstances. Generally, the facts may show that the employee was engaged to wait (which is work time) or the facts may show that the employee was waiting to be engaged (which is not work time). For example, a secretary who reads a book while waiting for dictation or a fireman who plays checkers while waiting for an alarm is working during such periods of inactivity. These employees have been "engaged to wait."

barnyard

KTM rider
Call in lines are how the railroads handle staffing for engineers and conductors that are on the extra board. My cousin would call in by a specified time and there would be a recording that told him his approximate start. He'd then call 90 minutes or so before the predicted start time and have a recorded 'real' start time, which would include his assigned train and all that.

I would find it hard to believe that any state would make a SOP for the RRs illegal. One would think that the RRs would fight that tooth and nail.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Call in lines are how the railroads handle staffing for engineers and conductors that are on the extra board. My cousin would call in by a specified time and there would be a recording that told him his approximate start. He'd then call 90 minutes or so before the predicted start time and have a recorded 'real' start time, which would include his assigned train and all that.

I would find it hard to believe that any state would make a SOP for the RRs illegal. One would think that the RRs would fight that tooth and nail.

Totally different kind of work. Railroading and railroaders seldom have scheduled hours. Most have a 2 hour window to report after being called-in. We aren't "extra board" employees and railroads have operated this way since the 1860's.

El Morado Diablo

We had a few volunteers and a draft list for the Sat following X-mas. Management wanted to wait until Sat to make a decision to bring in the draftees. The person at the top of the draft list told them they had to officially put them on the schedule by Fri night or they weren't coming in. Management refused to schedule the draftees so we had to cover the shift with the volunteers we had.

I thought it was a pretty slick move by the draftee to force management's hand. They want the flexibility but would rather go short-handed than schedule too many people. Profit-SERVICE-People at it's best.

Keystone

At my former station we were allowed to come in at scheduled time, but were expected to find work to do, or the om/sm would find you something to do...or you could call to find out how late we would be that day. Funny thing is, when I started, the manager told me to put this report-in number in my phone....they called it the "Good Time Number!!!"

Try explaining that to your spouse when they find that in your contacts!!! :oops:

hypo hanna

At my former station we were allowed to come in at scheduled time, but were expected to find work to do, or the om/sm would find you something to do...or you could call to find out how late we would be that day. Funny thing is, when I started, the manager told me to put this report-in number in my phone....they called it the "Good Time Number!!!"

Try explaining that to your spouse when they find that in your contacts!!! :oops:
ROTFLMAO!

fessup

What do you think about a policy whereby pm couriers come in and can only clock in when they know they have a truck available?

fedupforsure

i love the, take a break, because we are waiting for the freight in the morning. I work a 10 hr shift, im not taking a break at 9am. that's why we have a code 43. so tired of the couriers getting the shaft and fedex finding every way they can to screw us. I do not go to work each day to sit there on my own time. my time is valuable too.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What do you think about a policy whereby pm couriers come in and can only clock in when they know they have a truck available?

Oh,man. Does this ever sound like a management "solution" that will screw the daylights out of employees. As someone else said, show-up, clock-in, and let them worry about whether or not a vehicle is available. You can always assist at the front counter, clean the warehouse etc. What an amazing place to work!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
i love the, take a break, because we are waiting for the freight in the morning. I work a 10 hr shift, im not taking a break at 9am. that's why we have a code 43. so tired of the couriers getting the shaft and fedex finding every way they can to screw us. I do not go to work each day to sit there on my own time. my time is valuable too.

Use their own policy against them, which forbids taking breaks at the beginning or end of your shift. Depending on which state you work in, FedEx cannot force you to take a break on their terms. This is just another way to screw the employee and save Fred money when the planes and CTVs are late. CODE 43!!!!!