Prayers for Birmingham facility

djkre8r

Posted: Sep 23, 2014 11:03 AM EDTUpdated: Sep 23, 2014 11:22 AM EDT

Al.com photo
  • Police: 3 people dead in shooting at UPS facility

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama --Three people are dead including the gunman after a shooting this morning at a UPS facility in Inglenook, according to Birmingham officials, AL.comreports.

LIVE Coverage from WIAT-TV

The incident happened about 9:30 a.m, the news outlet says.

There is massive police response at the scene as homicide detectives begin to investigate.
The shooter, a white male in his late 40s, was wearing a UPS uniform.

Fedex Guy

I am not even a little bit surprised by this. Honestly it's surprising it doesn't happen more often. RIP to the innocent.

Just to be clear, I don't work for FedEx. Crazy I know.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Prayers to all families invloved.UPS take a good hard look......
They won't...they'll consider it an "isolated incident". Hey UPS...stop worrying so much about the precious iPhones..... and get some real security to monitor what's being brought into the building??? This same thing could've happended at ANY of our buildings.

oldngray

nowhere special
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — A UPS employee opened fire Tuesday morning inside one of the company's warehouses in Alabama, killing two people before committing suicide, police said.

Birmingham Police Chief A.C. Roper told reporters that the gunman was wearing his uniform when he started shooting either in or near some offices inside the warehouse in an industrial area just north of the Birmingham airport. The gunman had apparently shot himself by the time officers got inside the warehouse, Roper said.
http://news.yahoo.com/police-3-people-dead-shooting-ups-facility-152157320.html

brett636

They won't...they'll consider it an "isolated incident". Hey UPS...stop worrying so much about the precious iPhones..... and get some real security to monitor what's being brought into the building??? This same thing could've happended at ANY of our buildings.

They added an incoming metal detector at my building about 6 years ago. It really doesn't do much to stop people from bringing stuff in if they really want too, and the only way you can really keep a tragedy like this occurring is to have TSA style frisk and search at every facility entrance which isn't feasible IMHO. Nor would I want to go through that everyday coming into work. This is a very sad incident which should absolutely not have happened, but I don't see much UPS can do to prevent it if someone is truly determined.

TheFigurehead

I am not even a little bit surprised by this. Honestly it's surprising it doesn't happen more often. RIP to the innocent.

This. Honestly, with tensions that high, and the total lack of respect UPS has for it's employees (hourly and mgmt, alike), I'm surprised it's not much more frequent. I'll be incredibly relieved if we make it through peak without an incident (like this one, or like the one in TX after last peak).

UPS needs to get it's :censored2: together. It's easy to ignore this type of thing when your insulated in your heavily guarded corporate headquarters, or just watching your share price go up or down behind a computer screen... but the rest of us potentially put our lives on the line every day just by showing up to work. Forget the dangerous equipment, 100lb boxes, and traffic... we walk into a building every day filled with hundreds of overworked, disrespected, desperate people who are all reminded what terrible, lazy, peices of :censored2: they are multiple times a day.

I don't think any amount of metal detectors or security guards will dissuade workplace violence at UPS. How hard is your security guard going to try to stop a gunman? Not very, I'd assume. Sure, he'll call the cops, but how many people will be shot before they arrive and find the gunman? What's to stop a driver from bringing a gun back in his truck?

We're getting to the point where it's not just a shameless grab for profits. UPS is literally putting profits above human life. This will continue to occur, and with increasing frequency, until UPS does something about the culture that perpetuates this desperation among it's employees.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FrigidAdCorrector

Prayers for all those who lost their lives in this senseless act of violence

Sent using BrownCafe App

Diadbolical

They added an incoming metal detector at my building about 6 years ago. It really doesn't do much to stop people from bringing stuff in if they really want too, and the only way you can really keep a tragedy like this occurring is to have TSA style frisk and search at every facility entrance which isn't feasible IMHO. Nor would I want to go through that everyday coming into work. This is a very sad incident which should absolutely not have happened, but I don't see much UPS can do to prevent it if someone is truly determined.

OPTION3

This. Honestly, with tensions that high, and the total lack of respect UPS has for it's employees (hourly and mgmt, alike), I'm surprised it's not much more frequent. I'll be incredibly relieved if we make it through peak without an incident (like this one, or like the one in TX after last peak).

UPS needs to get it's :censored2: together. It's easy to ignore this type of thing when your insulated in your heavily guarded corporate headquarters, or just watching your share price go up or down behind a computer screen... but the rest of us potentially put our lives on the line every day just by showing up to work. Forget the dangerous equipment, 100lb boxes, and traffic... we walk into a building every day filled with hundreds of overworked, disrespected, desperate people who are all reminded what terrible, lazy, peices of :censored2: they are multiple times a day.

I don't think any amount of metal detectors or security guards will dissuade workplace violence at UPS. How hard is your security guard going to try to stop a gunman? Not very, I'd assume. Sure, he'll call the cops, but how many people will be shot before they arrive and find the gunman? What's to stop a driver from bringing a gun back in his truck?

We're getting to the point where it's not just a shameless grab for profits. UPS is literally putting profits above human life. This will continue to occur, and with increasing frequency, until UPS does something about the culture that perpetuates this desperation among it's employees.
Well....at least they have CAMERAS to capture it all on tape....SMH

worldwide

No amount of security will stop a determined crazy person from doing what they want to do. If someone can sprint across the White House lawn, arguably the most secure building in the country, and make it to the front door, does anyone really believe that additional metal detectors and pat-downs of employees coming into work will accomplish anything?

It will not surprise me to hear that the gunmen gave many warning signs and had some mental health issues. People rarely just snap without giving some signs of trouble to come...

Diadbolical

Everyone is remotely aware of when there are heated tensions within the office... It appears that too little effort was made to defuse a potentialy violent reaction to a conflict of personalities, or opinions within the work place... Dehumanization brought about by micromanagement needs to be monitored at all levels within the Company.. to the families and witnesses of this sad event, my thoughts and prayers... to all, be vigilant, and empathetic of what transpires around you..