Pre-trip, Post-trip and DVIR. Is it necessary and why isn't it enforced?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yup! A couple weeks ago after 2 days off I did my pre-trip and low and behold a huge yellow smudge on side front bumper and a gash just below the front headlight, an actual un-reported crash! Funny how it was painted over the next day as if nothing happened while a year before I cracked a mirror after going 4 inched because cars pkg cars were parked too close AND both mirrors pulled back all the way and still I got charged for an accident on a 21 year safe driving run! :biting:

The yen and the yang of being a Union employee versus non-Union employee. Been on both sides of the equation.

Nimnim

The Nim
I suppose not being a PC driver I don't really have much input, but I do have to do a pre/post trip for PITO. Though it's only harped so when a safety audit happens we've got a record showing we inspect them at least on my shift. Though if anything is wrong, unless the horn/light/power doesn't work we still use them because we don't have enough spare equipment, and the likelihood of some catastrophic accident happening while driving a hunk of metal with a manufacturers top speed of 9 is so low we'd love to see it actually happen.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
Yup! A couple weeks ago after 2 days off I did my pre-trip and low and behold a huge yellow smudge on side front bumper and a gash just below the front headlight, an actual un-reported crash! Funny how it was painted over the next day as if nothing happened while a year before I cracked a mirror after going 4 inched because cars pkg cars were parked too close AND both mirrors pulled back all the way and still I got charged for an accident on a 21 year safe driving run! :biting:

That stinks, mirrors get replaced frequently and no one is ever disciplined for it here.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
not enforced because production is king,and pretrips hinder production.

Aaaahhhh. Confucius say you very wise man. Unfortunately, if the driver is involved in a accident and it's determined that the defect should have been detected during the pre-trip, the driver is gonna get hung.

it is because it is a goverment law that is forced on ups, not a ups rule. therefor the company does not care!! if something happens they will blame it on the mechinac & the driver! it wont hut them at all. they dont want the drivers to do them. the package car drivers should be trained to do it like the feeders dept.
i have delt with the company many times on this & the mechanic always get it in the end.
i even had a automotive manager that was going to give the am talk, but the center manager came out infront of all of us & said this sh** would not hapen in his center & told the driver to get in the cars & get gone! the automotive manager just stood there & said nothing!!!

JonFrum

As a member of the mighty, mighty Carwash, I drive a lot of vehicles and see them up-close. I can't help noticing "little" things that wern't written-up like flat tires, broken mirrors, cracked windshields, rust trails coming from the lug nuts, nails and deep slices in the tires, bent bumpers, scrapes, headlights out, low brake pressure, etc., etc.

But I never notice anyone doing a post-trip. Without getting Management involved, I often report the serious stuff to the over-burdened mechanics, but they all try to look the other way or slide under their cars when they see me coming. :happy2:

PITO = Powered Industrial Truck Operation
Like a Fork Lift, which I use, or an Irregulars Train.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
As a member of the mighty, mighty Carwash, I drive a lot of vehicles and see them up-close. I can't help noticing "little" things that wern't written-up like flat tires, broken mirrors, cracked windshields, rust trails coming from the lug nuts, nails and deep slices in the tires, bent bumpers, scrapes, headlights out, low brake pressure, etc., etc.

But I never notice anyone doing a post-trip. Without getting Management involved, I often report the serious stuff to the over-burdened mechanics, but they all try to look the other way or slide under their cars when they see me coming. :happy2:

PITO = Powered Industrial Truck Operation
Like a Fork Lift, which I use, or an Irregulars Train.

I guess you're even then, cause most people don't pre-trip the forklifts either.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
pretrips and post trips are required by law and should never be shortcutted.
We are paid to complete pre-trips and posts trips completely, correctly and legibly.
It is the law.
We are professional drivers.
It is time for Cartage and Freight drivers to believe it and live it.

JonFrum

Drivers probably skip doing a formal post-trip because they are, in effect, inspecting their vehicle all day long. Every time they use a hand brake, or toot the horn, or see the reflection of their lights in a store window, etc. they are verifying that the vehicle is in proper working order. It isn't the same as a true end-of-day post-trip, but it's close.

And if the vehicle worked OK as of last night when it was parked on line, then in all likelyhood, it should work OK the following morning when it is driven off line. At least that's the theory.

brown_trousers

hmmm.... Now that I think of it, I can't think of anywhere to write down any pre-trip concerns. In our DVIR pre-trip we only sign off that we have "reviewed" the previous drivers report. What are we suppose to do if we find something wrong, like a new dent or gash? I wouldn't want the blame to fall on me for something I didn't do.

JonFrum

If it's "evidence," notify a Supervisor so he will verify it was there before you drove the car.

If it's something that needs to be repaired, swing by the Shop, and hope they are in the mood and have the time.

JonFrum

It is a Federal requirement Period! There is nothing else that needs to be said.
Does Federal Law require the post-trip to be done at the very end of the day? If so, where should it be done?

Should each returning driver hold up the incoming line while he post-trips?

Should they clog up the parking lot?

If they try to do it after parking on line, how could they walk around their vehicle with other vehicles squeezed next to it?

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I just heard of a serious acicident somewhere in Virginia. Supposedly the car was written up for no brakes. Previous driver didn't turn in report. Another driver jumped in, took it out without looking in the book, and ran into a house. It will interesting to hear what happens to both drivers.

unionslug

I just heard of a serious acicident somewhere in Virginia. Supposedly the car was written up for no brakes. Previous driver didn't turn in report. Another driver jumped in, took it out without looking in the book, and ran into a house. It will interesting to hear what happens to both drivers.
Another good reason to do a pre AND post trip. Not only is it the method, it is easy income for doing what you are told to do

BrownArmy

As a cover driver, I'm in 3-5 different trucks a week.

I pre and post trip them all.

It's not hard people, you've been driving the car all day. Post-trip should take about 90 seconds.

When I do a pre-trip on a new (to me) truck and a headlight is out, someone didn't do their job...

brown bomber

brown bomber
That stinks, mirrors get replaced frequently and no one is ever disciplined for it here.

I've had more than one instance...when I've prepared to pull out of my parked spot to reach for a mirror...........guess what it AIN'T THERE.........it's sitting in the step- well, it isn't just the easily replaceable lenses..........it's the whole thing.........is this just a cost of doing business..........while I sit waiting for a mechanic to replace the entire mirror.......and have late air due to departing the bldg after 9:30.......nice set of rules, it applies to some,........but wink wink not the rest