Preload methods

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Does anyone have a copy of the preload methods????????

What are you doing, stacking is not in the methods, so load the packages and keep proper egress.

Time to wrap it up, please unload cages and stack ! go go go!. "but I thought stacking was not in th..."

Make sure you rip off every pal and attach to end of box, or mark seq # with marker. all labels point towards cab,

OK nevermind, don't do that, you're too slow, just unload those cages and stack. gogogo!

menotyou

bella amicizia
What are you doing, stacking is not in the methods, so load the packages and keep proper egress.

Time to wrap it up, please unload cages and stack ! go go go!. "but I thought stacking was not in th..."

Make sure you rip off every pal and attach to end of box, or mark seq # with marker. all labels point towards cab,

OK nevermind, don't do that, you're too slow, just unload those cages and stack. gogogo!

We have one long belt straight from the feeders.

old levi's

blank space

Cages, CAGES? You're not a real preloader if you work from cages. Try a flat conveyor where you get one shot only as the pkg. whizzes by.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Cages, CAGES? You're not a real preloader if you work from cages. Try a flat conveyor where you get one shot only as the pkg. whizzes by.

I did that for 5 years (belt to car) in another building, thank you very much.

belt to car is EASIER in my opinion. In that the boxline, you have utterly the worst of the worst people sorting the cages and packages thrown in anywhere and anyway. nothing like having to climb into every cage to pull a couple packages way in the back, straining your back all day.

Also, when we run bulk from boxline, you're preloading ON A MOVING BELT for one hour. I'd love to see where in the methods walking on moving belts is OKAY when it's clearly a complete violation of the 5 keys to slips and falls.

If there are truly any documented preload methods I'd like to see them as well. Everything seems to be a contradiction for UPS to make their production numbers and also eliminate any responsibility of injuries by using very contradictory, damned if you do/don't guidelines. Our preload seems to account for 50% of all injuries on all four shifts!

menotyou

bella amicizia
I did that for 5 years (belt to car) in another building, thank you very much.

belt to car is EASIER in my opinion. In that the boxline, you have utterly the worst of the worst people sorting the cages and packages thrown in anywhere and anyway. nothing like having to climb into every cage to pull a couple packages way in the back, straining your back all day.

Also, when we run bulk from boxline, you're preloading ON A MOVING BELT for one hour. I'd love to see where in the methods walking on moving belts is OKAY when it's clearly a complete violation of the 5 keys to slips and falls.

If there are truly any documented preload methods I'd like to see them as well. Everything seems to be a contradiction for UPS to make their production numbers and also eliminate any responsibility of injuries by using very contradictory, damned if you do/don't guidelines. Our preload seems to account for 50% of all injuries on all four shifts!
Preload is where I was injured. I was working as directed. Luckily, I was an air driver, so I went out at that rate. 3 surgeries, so far. 3 herniated disks in my neck, one taken out, 2 left. Such fun. I saw a paper one time that stated what was a supervisors role on preload. Wish I had copied it. It clearly stated that they were not to touch packages. Also, it discussed the importance of training and positive re-enforcement. Obviously, this was a few years ago.

curiousbrain

[...] It clearly stated that they were not to touch packages. Also, it discussed the importance of training and positive re-enforcement. [...]

In the brief time I've been around UPS, this is a point of much contention. We have some die-hard union people who will file on almost anything, including a supervisor touching a package; however, when they are drowning in cardboard then suddenly they get all pissed off. On the other hand, when a large bulk stop comes down the belt, if a supervisor is around they can stop the belt (without being yelled at) and help you pull it off and stack it (which, technically, is another violation of the rules I think). Supervisors not touching packages is in the union agreement with UPS, but I guess my comment is basically that it seems to be an "if a preloader can do it, don't touch the boxes; unless the preloader is dying, then help away." At least, that is how it is in the building I work in.

As to the training and positive reinforcement, in the building I work in that is relatively nonexistent. More often then not, people will rebuff a supervisor with the claim that they are being "overly supervised", just to get the supervisor to leave them alone (unless the aforementioned paragraph is relevant, of course hehe).

We do have one supervisor, though, who has done preload, been a driver, and is now (obviously) a supervisor. This particular person will move boxes, pull bulk stops off the belt before they ever get to you, tell you if Pottery Barn has your name on it, annoy the FT supervisors so they don't yell at you, and a laundry list of other stuff to make your life easier; he seems to be the exception rather than the rule, though. And I get the feeling he is none to well liked by his peers, either.

Last edited by a moderator:

menotyou

bella amicizia
In the brief time I've been around UPS, this is a point of much contention. We have some die-hard union people who will file on almost anything, including a supervisor touching a package; however, when they are drowning in cardboard then suddenly they get all pissed off. On the other hand, when a large bulk stop comes down the belt, if a supervisor is around they can stop the belt (without being yelled at) and help you pull it off and stack it (which, technically, is another violation of the rules I think). Supervisors not touching packages is in the union agreement with UPS, but I guess my comment is basically that it seems to be an "if a preloader can do it, don't touch the boxes; unless the preloader is dying, then help away." At least, that is how it is in the building I work in.

As to the training and positive reinforcement, in the building I work in that is relatively nonexistent. More often then not, people will rebuff a supervisor with the claim that they are being "overly supervised", just to get the supervisor to leave them alone (unless the aforementioned paragraph is relevant, of course hehe).

We do have one supervisor, though, who has done preload, been a driver, and is now (obviously) a supervisor. This particular person will move boxes, pull bulk stops off the belt before they ever get to you, tell you if Pottery Barn has your name on it, annoy the FT supervisors so they don't yell at you, and a laundry list of other stuff to make your life easier; he seems to be the exception rather than the rule, though. And I get the feeling he is none to well liked by his peers, either.
As far as I am concerned, if the motivation is not intended to replace a job, I don't care. I appreciate help.

Pacman

Every preload job has methods relevant to their type of operation, boxline, belt to car, carousel, etc. Why shouldn't a person being held accountable to performing according to a set of documented methods have a copy of the methods?