Problem fixed

magoo57

brown monster, that comment was like water dressing on this iceberg salad. Calling himself Blacknproud is no more racist than wearing green on St. Patty's Day. Pride in what an individual is does not make him exclusionary to any other persons.
And as for the " he didn't look his peers in the eye" line of reasoning....did the fools who did this verbal flatulence look HIM in the eye when spouting off? Would they sign their work when they 'key' his car in the parking lot? My personal experience is that true bigots are cowards and hide behind numbers, or under sheets.

Fredless

APWA Hater
I know they will try....I come to work everyday, do as directed, and keep a notebook in my back pocket......They can try but I will NEVER let them win... Thanks for the support!!!:happy2:
Will you please spread your message to the rest of the workers in the country? I can't stress how much I agree with your post there.

:happy-very:

satellitedriver

The bigoted Govt seperates by color? Calling onesself Blacknproud sounds like someone trying to seperate themselves by color.
Apply the same logic to your avatar.
Doesn't work does it?
Being a monster would seperate you from the human race.
I assume you are human and that your skin coloration isn't brown, so maybe you could change your avatar to Whitehuman and be politically correct.

happybob

Feeders
Fill out an application for a job and find all the questions you need to realize that our countries past is having a profound affect on the present and will well into the future. Race? National Origin? Sex? Country of Origin?

Can't we all agree that these questions can all be deleted and just have one question. Human? That suffices for me, for so far as we all know we havn't been invaded be space aliens yet, or have we?

How do we make good on all the wrongs committed in the past. Hiring because of color of skin, of gender. There is a better solution for this. Blindfold all HR personnel doing interviews, have all applicants use some kind of voice modification device to answer all questions by the interviewer. No referance on an application to color, sex, national origin, handicap, all taken care of in one fell swoop. LOL

Many problems from the past can't be recrified by quotas, then your talking about reverse discrimination, without affecting some segmant of society.

Bronwnproud, you are an example of the system at UPS can work, when implemented properly. How you deal with the past is up to you. We can only hope that going forward the company will insure they train their management personnel to do a better job of detecting this type descrimination and putting a stop to it as soon as it is reported.

athena

He's right I did when I made that comment...I was mad and I was hurt, but I will not let anything blind my judgement again. Thanks. This is a great forum.

You know, for a guy who doesn't want to be judged, you sure did judge the workers in Memphis for the whole noose thing. You are all over the board. Is it okay for you to be intolerant of racism if it only affects you? What the heck is that all about? I was proud of you for going to the corporate number until I found out that you would judge others so harshly just because they went outside of the company (after trying who knows what to resolve the issue inside the company). Apparently you are still pretty blind in your judgement but now it is against other blacks. Nice.

tieguy

Banned
You know, for a guy who doesn't want to be judged, you sure did judge the workers in Memphis for the whole noose thing. You are all over the board. Is it okay for you to be intolerant of racism if it only affects you? What the heck is that all about? I was proud of you for going to the corporate number until I found out that you would judge others so harshly just because they went outside of the company (after trying who knows what to resolve the issue inside the company). Apparently you are still pretty blind in your judgement but now it is against other blacks. Nice.

I'm not sure his being black mandates he should have to support every charge of racism nor every legal case seeking money from the brown coffers?

athena

I'm not sure his being black mandates he should have to support every charge of racism nor every legal case seeking money from the brown coffers?

No, it doesn't. But I do feel it is a bit callous to be defensive about "being disrespected on an ongoing basis" but then feels that "people should be smacked" for taking legal action for finding a noose in their truck.

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight

Funny you should point out that it is "his being black" when you take such a strong stance against separating people by race. In fact, you got in a totally illogical debate with me about how biased "my government" is in using race to classify people. Athena made a point that individuals who found themselves in a similar situation to Blacknproud, were blamed by him for their situation. But when he himself was in a similar situation, it was completely unjust.

Can't you see beyond skin color? Harassment is harassment. Discrimination is discrimination. No matter if the victims are Black, White, or any other color. You can't say discrimination against you is wrong but against others is okay.

tieguy

Banned
Funny you should point out that it is "his being black" when you take such a strong stance against separating people by race. In fact, you got in a totally illogical debate with me about how biased "my government" is in using race to classify people. Athena made a point that individuals who found themselves in a similar situation to Blacknproud, were blamed by him for their situation. But when he himself was in a similar situation, it was completely unjust.

The relationship you're trying here is completely different from the ills of government. I simply pointed out that he is not obligated to support every charge of bias simply because he is black. I would think his being black would perhaps allow him some leeway and insight that maybe you and I and maybe athena too do not have?

Can't you see beyond skin color? Harassment is harassment. Discrimination is discrimination. No matter if the victims are Black, White, or any other color. You can't say discrimination against you is wrong but against others is okay.

Right or wrong will be decided in court. Your point and any point I would make in rebuttal would be speculation as to the merits of this case. I still defend his right to believe the memphis case is right or wrong as I did in the post you have found fault with.

tieguy

Banned
No, it doesn't. But I do feel it is a bit callous to be defensive about "being disrespected on an ongoing basis" but then feels that "people should be smacked" for taking legal action for finding a noose in their truck.

For us to truly judge the merits of this case we would have to see the "noose" . I can tell you that based on my experiences that its not always what it may seem. When a door strap is broken its common for the driver to either tie a knot in the strap or to tie a loop in the end of the strap to make it easier to pull the door down. The door strap is made of a heavy canvas material so I find it hard to believe anyone could actually form that into a classic noose.

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
Right or wrong will be decided in court. Your point and any point I would make in rebuttal would be speculation as to the merits of this case. I still defend his right to believe the memphis case is right or wrong as I did in the post you have found fault with.

I see your point. I think Athena was trying to state simply that it was a atlittle odd the Blacknproud was so over zealous in his harsh criticisms of those who found a noose (if that's what it was) in their work station. They have every right to complain, as does he.

As I state in another thread (call the corp help line..), a noose is a very specific knot and nooses are on the rise as a form of intimidation in the workplace. Yet, lots of folks want to blame the victims before we know anything....It reminds me of when a woman is raped and she is suddenly suspect for wearing a skirt or too much makeup or what have you.

athena

For us to truly judge the merits of this case we would have to see the "noose" . I can tell you that based on my experiences that its not always what it may seem. When a door strap is broken its common for the driver to either tie a knot in the strap or to tie a loop in the end of the strap to make it easier to pull the door down. The door strap is made of a heavy canvas material so I find it hard to believe anyone could actually form that into a classic noose.

I agree, seeing the noose might clear some things up. That fact of the matter is, I am not judging anyone involved in the noose incident because I don't know what the noose looks like, the work environment, etc. That, in fact, is my point. Who are we to judge these individuals without knowing what is really going on? You may be right. The situation in Memphis might be blown out-of-proportion. But, do you know that for sure? And more to the point, does BLACKNPROUD?

Couple of things to point out from the article. First, Lewis has been an employee with UPS for 13 years. Do you think he might have seen make shift straps before and could figure out the difference between that and a noose? Second, before the noose incident, he and three others had filed a discrimination lawsuit against the company on Oct. 13. This alone could have been motivation for retaliatory behavior (i.e. hanging a noose on a truck). Again, I am not judging the merits of the charges, just pointing out the fact that there are always two sides to every story.

athena

I see your point. I think Athena was trying to state simply that it was a atlittle odd the Blacknproud was so over zealous in his harsh criticisms of those who found a noose (if that's what it was) in their work station. They have every right to complain, as does he.

That was my point.

As I state in another thread (call the corp help line..), a noose is a very specific knot and nooses are on the rise as a form of intimidation in the workplace. Yet, lots of folks want to blame the victims before we know anything....It reminds me of when a woman is raped and she is suddenly suspect for wearing a skirt or too much makeup or what have you.

This is what I was going towards. If you look online there is an ABC story about a professor at Columbia who had a noose hung on her office door. After you look at the picture, it is completely obvious that it is a noose. The interesting thing is that there are comments on the GMA/ABC website that are strikingly familiar to the ones being voiced here even when you can tell it is a noose. Some of the comments do blame the professor for anything from the reason it happened to it being "blown out-of-proportion".