Problems with new supervisor.

clean hairy

Hello all, I'm new here. :-)

I have a problem with my supervisor. He has been a supervisor for about a month now. We started working at UPS together roughly at the same time. I always thought he was a nice guy but that all changed once he became a supervisor. I've had jerk supervisors before. I have been working for over a year here at UPS. I can ignore/avoid the other jerk supervisors but this one supervisor is always on my case and always watching me.

We work in the smalls sort. The problem is he makes me a floater, I have no permanent job there like everyone else. Everyone else does the same job everyday and stays there for the entire day. I am not the only one who knows how to do all of the different positions, almost everyone is crossed trained on all the different jobs. But I am the only one who works almost every job position in one day.

At the beginning of the day the new supervisor tells me to work in the induct then 10 minutes later tells me to work up front to help the scanners, he watches me for about 15 minutes then tells me that I am scanning wrong. I had the scanner in my right hand but I was supposed to have the scanner in my left hand. I try it his way for about 5 minutes then go back to the right hand because it was faster for me. He tells me to go back to induct, then about 15 minutes later he pulls me out to help him pull bags off the conveyor belt, then when done he tells me to go back to induct. He stands there watching me then he tells me to work faster. I tell him I am doing the best I can. Then 10 minutes later he tells me to go to the bullfrog and work both sides. He walks by and asks me to empty the cart of rejects back onto the belt to go back through the induct. I then return the cart and go back to the bullfrog.

He stands there and watches me while writing on his clipboard. He tells me that he was watching me and writing up a performance report on me and that I was doing a good job keeping busy except that I wasn't wearing gloves which he didn't approve of. He puts me back on induct, then about an hour later tells me to go back to the bullfrog, then he walks by and tells me to work both sides of the bullfrog, I say I already am. He watches me and tells me not to add any more of the empty bags because we were almost done. (which was a lie we had more than an hour left, all of the scanners were still scanning and there were still a lot of full bags in the cage} But I did as he said and stopped adding empty bags. He tells one of the ladies the same thing and she pretty much told him off and tells me that he doesn't know what he's doing.

He does this to me everyday, I try not to take it personally and just go with what he says. I am now thinking of going to the union to complain about him or maybe tell the big manager of the building. He is new and I think it would make him look bad if he already has a complaint on his record.

Is he doing anything against the rules making me go back and forth to different jobs every 5-15 minutes?
Only read the first post, answer is clear.
Grievance for over supervison.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
This is what we call in our hub the "Bullfrog"
The "Induct" people put the packages on those flipper things that drop the package into the bags.
He’s just riding his little power trip. He’s bouncing you around because you’ll listen. When he tells you to work faster, just keep telling him you’re working as fast as you safely can. Filing a harassment grievance might get him off your back. If you can, use your phone notepad to keep track and write down the times you were bounced around or told to work faster for each shift. Having something written down will show the pattern of harassment.
Sups tend to forget that hourlies will still here long after they’ve quit/been fired/transferred to a different part of the building.

NYJetsfan87

I have a problem with my supervisor. He has been a supervisor for about a month now. We started working at UPS together roughly at the same time. I always thought he was a nice guy but that all changed once he became a supervisor. I've had jerk supervisors before. I have been working for over a year here at UPS. I can ignore/avoid the other jerk supervisors but this one supervisor is always on my case and always watching me.

We work in the smalls sort. The problem is he makes me a floater, I have no permanent job there like everyone else. Everyone else does the same job everyday and stays there for the entire day. I am not the only one who knows how to do all of the different positions, almost everyone is crossed trained on all the different jobs. But I am the only one who works almost every job position in one day.

At the beginning of the day the new supervisor tells me to work in the induct then 10 minutes later tells me to work up front to help the scanners, he watches me for about 15 minutes then tells me that I am scanning wrong. I had the scanner in my right hand but I was supposed to have the scanner in my left hand. I try it his way for about 5 minutes then go back to the right hand because it was faster for me. He tells me to go back to induct, then about 15 minutes later he pulls me out to help him pull bags off the conveyor belt, then when done he tells me to go back to induct. He stands there watching me then he tells me to work faster. I tell him I am doing the best I can. Then 10 minutes later he tells me to go to the bullfrog and work both sides. He walks by and asks me to empty the cart of rejects back onto the belt to go back through the induct. I then return the cart and go back to the bullfrog.

He stands there and watches me while writing on his clipboard. He tells me that he was watching me and writing up a performance report on me and that I was doing a good job keeping busy except that I wasn't wearing gloves which he didn't approve of. He puts me back on induct, then about an hour later tells me to go back to the bullfrog, then he walks by and tells me to work both sides of the bullfrog, I say I already am. He watches me and tells me not to add any more of the empty bags because we were almost done. (which was a lie we had more than an hour left, all of the scanners were still scanning and there were still a lot of full bags in the cage} But I did as he said and stopped adding empty bags. He tells one of the ladies the same thing and she pretty much told him off and tells me that he doesn't know what he's doing.

He does this to me everyday, I try not to take it personally and just go with what he says. I am now thinking of going to the union to complain about him or maybe tell the big manager of the building. He is new and I think it would make him look bad if he already has a complaint on his record.

Is he doing anything against the rules making me go back and forth to different jobs every 5-15 minutes?
For a moment I thought you were talking about a full timer in Nassau overnights until you said he has a clipboard. I would recommend talking to your shop steward. If the problem persists we can then take it to the next level.

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
if you're working fast and efficiently your way, and then he tells you to work his way and it's not efficient. don't go back to your way, just keep being slow his way. and then when you have it out with him his boss and your steward, tell them exactly why you slowed down. don't let them micromanage you and still get the benefit of you using your brain. make them choose one or the other.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Every new supervisor acts like this, then a few months later they are so beat down they either quit or become lazy

nWo

He probably has zero education after HS and no experience managing people. Maybe he is letting the littlest bit of power go to his head. Maybe he is trying to flirt with you.

capdaflag

I've been working here for a couple of months and usta be all cool with whatever the supes asked me to do. BUT, inevitably as with ALL jobs, the power and tyrannical inclinations start getting to their head.
This on supe (my main supe whos pretty new) got pissed off because I couldn't hear what he said (I'm outside on the ramp with earplugs).
I waited till the plane powered down and verbally ripped his ass in shreds and explained in excruciating detail HOW TF can I hear what he's saying when its so fckn LOUD.
He IMMEDIATELY apologized and backtracked like crazy and even was worried that I was tell the union steward LMFAO
Now all I hear is " HEY GREAT JOB TODAY !!" AHAHHAHAHAH !!!!!
The supes are AFRAID of our union steward, the dude is a gangster like for reals and stands up for ANYONE that has any issues with management. Freakin love this place !!!

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I've been working here for a couple of months and usta be all cool with whatever the supes asked me to do. BUT, inevitably as with ALL jobs, the power and tyrannical inclinations start getting to their head.
This on supe (my main supe whos pretty new) got pissed off because I couldn't hear what he said (I'm outside on the ramp with earplugs).
I waited till the plane powered down and verbally ripped his ass in shreds and explained in excruciating detail HOW TF can I hear what he's saying when its so fckn LOUD.
He IMMEDIATELY apologized and backtracked like crazy and even was worried that I was tell the union steward LMFAO
The supes are AFRAID of our union steward, the dude is a gangster like for reals and stands up for ANYONE that has any issues with management. Freakin love this place !!!
Whether the supe is being a jerk or not, I really don’t recommend profanity, or aggressive language.

You might be 100% in the right, but I can tell you right now, the conversation in the office will be about your conduct, and not about whatever the supe was doing.

Seen it multiple times where somebody had a valid gripe against management, but they decided to lose their cool. That one ends with getting read the professional code of conduct.

Speak softly, and carry a big grievance.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Keep on a keepin on brotha

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

Did you quit