Prosecutors: Engineer deliberately ran train off tracks in attempt to smash the USNS Mercy

rickyb

working on the railway is a good example of how capitalism prioritizes profits over safety.

the way alot of the equipment is designed is unsafe. so if your riding one of the cars and holding on, the bar is too low for you to get a good centre of gravity to hold on good.

between cars there isnt a lot of space by design so it leads to not much room for error. if the train suddenly moves, you wont have alot of time to get out. i know one guy lost a toe.

then on top of it, i remember some of the engines had the air brakes on one side where you have to climb over, instead of right in the middle with easier access. if the dopey designers of the train at least consulted with the employees who actually work on the trains, they wouldnt have made this mistake.

and the last big one is being on call. your expected to go even if your tired, even though the regulations say you dont have to. the regulations arent enforced because of regulatory capture.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
yea but they arent deserving of the name engineer. should be pilot or captain or something.

i think they make about $100k. alot of their pay comes from being on call and away from home for a day or 2.

Railroad work is 24/7/365 on-call for the vast majority of crews. No life, but lots of money. A former co-worker went to the UP and he made 90k his first year, then got furloughed, and came back and was up to 135K within 3 years. His wife dumped him because he was never home.

Great money,no life. Eat/Sleep/Run Trains. An actual bumper sticker on his truck.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
working on the railway is a good example of how capitalism prioritizes profits over safety.

the way alot of the equipment is designed is unsafe. so if your riding one of the cars and holding on, the bar is too low for you to get a good centre of gravity to hold on good.

between cars there isnt a lot of space by design so it leads to not much room for error. if the train suddenly moves, you wont have alot of time to get out. i know one guy lost a toe.

then on top of it, i remember some of the engines had the air brakes on one side where you have to climb over, instead of right in the middle with easier access. if the dopey designers of the train at least consulted with the employees who actually work on the trains, they wouldnt have made this mistake.

and the last big one is being on call. your expected to go even if your tired, even though the regulations say you dont have to. the regulations arent enforced because of regulatory capture.
You sound like an old woman....nag, nag, nag

rickyb

Railroad work is 24/7/365 on-call for the vast majority of crews. No life, but lots of money. A former co-worker went to the UP and he made 90k his first year, then got furloughed, and came back and was up to 135K within 3 years. His wife dumped him because he was never home.

Great money,no life. Eat/Sleep/Run Trains. An actual bumper sticker on his truck.
yea my buddy whos a bit sharper than me who worked on the railway thinks they are on call just for profits not because it has to be.

Box Ox

It’s true, comrade commissar. Safer to go with the gear, equipment and work safety policies of communist China, North Korea or the Soviet Union years back. The capitalist dogs just don’t care.