pt qc clerk just layed off. couple of ?'s

rellek

So I was just told that my official layoff day is Tuesday the 1rst. I am located in N.J. and I have been there for 5 years. I was told that I can not come back into the building for 5 days b/c of the union contract, but I can collect unemployment for those days. I was also told that I will be getting a call after those days if a spot opens up for my shift (twi). They are not hiring twilight right bow and I have to wait till june 7th when hey hire for that shift again.However i was offered a preload shift that I cannot do b/c of school.

2 questions.

1. Will unemployment turn me down because I denied a shift (preload) even though I was initially hired for twilight (the only shift I can work)?

2. Can I bid for another persons job that has less seniority but has received a package (severance ?)?

JonFrum

If you are under the union contract, look in your Supplement under Seniority and Layoffs to learn your rights.

Search the Internet for your states Workers Unemployment Compensation website. Make sure part-timers are eligible for Unemployment, among other things.

I don't think you can be required to take a job you can't work because the hours are wrong for you.

Are you on the general part-time seniority list, or are you on some segregated clerks-only seniority list?

P

pickup

With unemployment, it is ideal that you answer the 7 magic questions the right way. Any answer other than the one that leads to benefits requires further review/delays and potential rejection. For example, question #3 - did you refuse any work? we all know the answer that should be given -"no" , your "yes" answer will cause problems(the extent of which I do not know but they will definitely delay any potential payments).

In New Jersey, the dirty secret is they ran out of money for unemployment a long time ago and have been borrowing from the feds, so even if your claim has all the correct answers, they will still manage to delay approval for a month , so one way or the other don't count on that money, at least for a while.

ikoi62

not Customer Counter in NJ those are guys or girls with 20 years or better. And never heard of a quality control clerk either. most if not all clerk work is done by people with a lot of years..

rellek

Im a hazmat auditor which is considered quality control. Been there 4 years. From what Ive been told I was extremely lucky to land that job. Most people start in the hub.

Floridacargocat

Real easy. False. Class 2.2, UN 1072, proper shipping name: Oxygen, compressed. 49 CFR 172.101 Subpart B. Table of Hazardous Materials and Special Provisions.

JonFrum

Rellek is correct.

Oxygen supports combustion, but is not itself combustible. It is an oxidizer.

True or False: If you throw a lit match into a puddle of gasoline the match will go out.

ikoi62

back to the original post...last hazmat clerk i talk to was from Parsippany and she wasn't in the union..same goes for the high value clerks.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Reply - Puddle is the operative word here.
Gas as a liquid is not combustible - only as a gas.
I assume the match will no longer burn because the resulting fire from throwing the match in the gas will ignite the gas vapor, therefore depriving the combustible match of the required oxygen to continue burning.
I have no intention of conducting an experiment to verify.

JonFrum

back to the original post...last hazmat clerk i talk to was from Parsippany and she wasn't in the union..same goes for the high value clerks.
ARTICLE 1. PARTIES TO THE AGREEMENT
. . .In addition, effective August 1, 1987, the Employer recognized as bargaining unit members clerks who are assigned to package center operations, hub center operations, and/or air hub operations whose assignment
involves the handling and progressing of merchandise, after it has been tendered to United Parcel Service to effectuate delivery. These jobs cover: package return clerks, bad address clerks, post card room clerks, damage clerks, rewrap clerks, and hub and air hub return clerks. This Agreement also governs the classifications covered in Article 39 - Trailer Repair Shop. Effective no later than February 1, 2003 the Employer recognizes as bargaining unit members FDC/ODC clerks, international auditors, “smart label” clerks and revenue auditors who work in the operations facilities.
Hazmat Auditors, High Value Clerks, and Customer Counter Clerks are not specifically mentioned in the above language so it's a grey area.

If any such jobs were previously in the bargaining unit, they continue to be. If a Supplement brings them into the unit, they are in, in that area.

A 2002 Memorandum of Understanding agreed that any Customer Counter group not already in the unit could join if 50% signed authorization cards.

As to High Value Clerks, if they are not in the unit, then they must not be "handling and progressing" packages, just handling without progressing.

If HazMat Auditors are not in the unit, they must not be "handling and progressing" packages, just handling without progressing. They also could not be acting as First Responders.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Reply - Puddle is the operative word here.
Gas as a liquid is not combustible - only as a gas.
I assume the match will no longer burn because the resulting fire from throwing the match in the gas will ignite the gas vapor, therefore depriving the combustible match of the required oxygen to continue burning.
I have no intention of conducting an experiment to verify.

I did and it was awesome.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Rellek is correct.

Oxygen supports combustion, but is not itself combustible. It is an oxidizer.

True or False: If you throw a lit match into a puddle of gasoline the match will go out.

True, the vapors of gasoline are extremely flamable but the liquid itself is very dificult to start, once started it is very flamable though.

klein

Für Meno :)
Now come on, it's on Myth busters almost every show, and something we learned in school , too.
It takes 3 things to start a fire or explosion.
Which are : Fuel, Oxygen and Ignition.

Liquid gas can't burn, because no oxygen is present. But you throw a Bics lighter full of gas, into a fire, ofcourse it will explode.... because of an ignition source, and once the lighter housing melts and has a leak, it has Oxygen !

Basically, if you were in an Oxygen free, air tight room, it's no way you could start a flame, not even a match. (old fashion way to test for lack of oxygen in caves, or mines ) - open flames, such as, oil lamps, candles, or torches, etc, goes out = Get the heck out of there !