PTer Temptations to Steal iPads

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
This morning we lost yet another PTer who couldn't resist the allure of an iPad, becoming the second such termination in the last four working days. In my decade-plus career with UPS, we've lost more PTers to the theft of Apple products (iPods, iPhones & iPads) than for every other reason COMBINED (attendance, performance, theft of everything else non-Apple). What gives? Does Apple have some secret hold over people?

So PTers -- DON'T DO IT. YOU'LL GET CAUGHT!!! In my building, the trailer in which the forever bags containing the Apple products are kept has a camera ... as well as the small sort slide. When LP knows they're coming, you're watched.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Back in the late 80's just for some fun , some of my co-workers presented an idea ; how would someone steal a pair of skis .
Someone actually came up with a decent plan , but a motorcycle would have been needed .

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
It's been a while since I activated an iDevice, but as I remember, you have to go into iTunes and have an Apple id and password. Without doing any more research, wouldn't you think Apple would be able to find the device through it's serial number?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
It's been a while since I activated an iDevice, but as I remember, you have to go into iTunes and have an Apple id and password. Without doing any more research, wouldn't you think Apple would be able to find the device through it's serial number?

Plus they have a GPS feature. I'm certain utilizing these methods lead to a lot of thieves.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
My favorite is the already activated phones ; some former employees would use them during their shifts and then repack them , sending them on their way.
It must have been quite a shock when the receivers saw their first bill .
With just a couple of complaints LP would always find the guilty party , since they always called the same numbers .

ManInBrown

Apple does not get involved with thefts. Had a macbook stolen while on a trip in AZ. Loading my rental up to leave and head back to airport and someone must of walked by and grabbed the macbook in the case. Called Apple and they said we do not get involved in thefts. They wouldn't do anything. Said they have the ability to do something (possibly track it) but company policy is to not get involved.

We had a big problem when Nintendo Wii first came out. PT's would call there buddies on their phones and then tear open a box and run the Wii out to the fence and toss to their buddy in the parking lot. And now PT's wonder why they have to dance through hoops to be allowed to take a phone in the building.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Apple does not get involved with thefts. Had a macbook stolen while on a trip in AZ. Loading my rental up to leave and head back to airport and someone must of walked by and grabbed the macbook in the case. Called Apple and they said we do not get involved in thefts. They wouldn't do anything. Said they have the ability to do something (possibly track it) but company policy is to not get involved.

For some reason, that makes sense.

Thanks.

ups hero

I never understood why anyone would risk losing a job over stealing something. I've seen so many things that would lure people into stealing and ask myself ; how did they not know it was a setup??? I've seen dollar bills on the ground, unscratched lottery tickets, fake jewelry, candy and numerous other things. It's not worth losing everything for nothing! There are cameras EVERYWHERE! But I also think if your dumb enough to steal then, you get what you deserve.

neartom

We had a pt preloader who would take pkgs and put them on a separate trailer for returns and come back in the middle of the night and crawl between building and door pads and get the pkgs . One night LP and police were waiting for him. Heard him in the trailer and got him. His new address is the county jail. Made off with 7k worth of stuff before they got him.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

That how the person that stole my brother credit card got caught. First thing they bought was a song on iTunes. Stole a credit card and caught after a $1.29 purchase. Priceless.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'm actually surprised you don't hear more stories about drivers getting busted for stealing since it would be the easiest for them. But yet most of the stories are about inside PT'ers being the stupid ones.