Push For Management

yonnko

They are pushing heavy in my center for drivers to submit a letter to move into management. Any other centers doing the same? I have been asked at least once a year since driving, but lately they have been pushy with a few drivers.

trickpony1

Just a suggestion:
1) I would wonder who I would be replacing.
2) I would wonder where that person went.
3) I would wonder why no one else wants to go into management.
4) I would wonder why more management people seem to be leaving the company than drivers.
5) I would wonder why they are asking me.
6) I would wonder if I need the added stress and hours over and above what I work as a driver.
7) I would wonder how the company has made it this long without me in management.

I was asked once to go into management while I was a preloader in the late 70's. I figured if they wanted me that bad, they would ask me again. They never asked me again.

Since that time I have seen more management people than I can count leave and not come back.

Makes a person wonder........

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Damn trick, that was a good post!

I too have seen them go in large numbers. Some stay around for 10-12 years, then end up having to move over, up or out. I guess UPS does not like stagnant management?

d

browniehound

I think a career in management could be rewarding. I don't think I could handle the responsibilty and stress of managing an operation. But for the people with the goods, i could see how this would be a good challenge and something more meaningful and mundane as doing the same route everyday. I like the fact that, once I punch out, I have no worries until the following day at 8:30. Except for thinking "did I bag that package or is it getting soaked right now during this torrential downpour?":ohmy:

Hangingon

We've had a large push also in our area. They are desperately short of new supervisors, and while I don't envy the driver who decides to take the jump now, the idea of them hiring management off the road scares me. I can see where that may be the only option in the near future since at least here we see first hand the 18 hour days they put in, the amount of stress they deal with and the way their hands are tied when it comes to any meaningful responsibility.

upsset

i wouldn't go into management on a bet now or ever. i have been watching them drop like flies this past year. one of the unspoken goals of pas seems to be the reduction of management personnel

rushfan

I mirror the same. It could be rewarding $ wise, but it isn't worth the stress, or time away from my family. Our managers/sups are being sent to Vegas on a rotational basis to help them. I can tell from their expressions, they absolutely hated it.
I don't want to die 3 years after retirement if I go into management, as many do.

I would absolutely hate it if they hire them off the streets.

handrail_hank

I am a 22 plus year full time driver, and have been asked at least 3 time in the past year to turn in my letter for management. I'm not a trouble maker but on the flip side I definently am not a brown noser either. Others in my center have been approached as well. Not sure what they are thinking, but they are not gonna get this guy hornswaggled. All I want to do is get my 8 1/2 hour planned day (which takes me 9 1/2 hours to run) done and get home.

ja4079

ja4079
When I started 27 yrs ago the on road supervisor told me that going into management with UPS was not always a step up! I have never forgotten that bit of advice! So a driver I have been and I really do like my job,there are days when I am ready to call it quits, but I will hang around for a few more yrs.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I am not sure how it is anymore, but a few years back, you had to get to center manager level before you really got ahead of the curve of pro's and con's. And as slow as it is to get to that level, (the last I heard we had three times the center managers than we had centers) or above, I would have had to really think very hard. And unless you want to spend at least 10-15 years in the managment position, I could not see an employee that has 15-20 years in already coming out ahead of the game.

That being said, there always are exceptions.

d

handrail_hank

I was thinking today about the "NEW" supervisor of today. They show up for work in browns, they spend a minimal amount of time each day in the hub or facility, we have part time clerks,oms's , dispatchers,etc., etc., that do the majority of paper work( the work that the supervisors of yesterday use to do), and what does the new sups do, they spend the majority of the day shuttleing misloads, mis spa'ed packages, and late air between drivers. Come to think of it, that sounds like a pretty sweet job. Oh , I forgot to mention, we are on PAS/EDD

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Sounds like hourly work to me. Someone needs to file. If they are moving packages, that is hourly work. Sounds to me like they need to hire some new drivers.

d

xracer

I am eligible to retire when I am 49 yrs old as a driver with 30 years of service, as a manager they have a set minimum retirement age of 55 yrs, yes I think that I would like to donate an additional 6 yrs of my life to UPS. NOT!!!

wornoutupser

handrail_hank said:
I was thinking today about the "NEW" supervisor of today. They show up for work in browns, they spend a minimal amount of time each day in the hub or facility, we have part time clerks,oms's , dispatchers,etc., etc., that do the majority of paper work( the work that the supervisors of yesterday use to do), and what does the new sups do, they spend the majority of the day shuttleing misloads, mis spa'ed packages, and late air between drivers. Come to think of it, that sounds like a pretty sweet job. Oh , I forgot to mention, we are on PAS/EDD

Hank,
It is so bad in our center now that we offered to get a union card for my onroad!
He has spent 3 days in the building since Christmas- the center manager will not give him a break either!
The good nnews is that he is about 20 pounds lighter than when he came back to us from I.E.