PVD and pre loaders

Jonvon

Saw a PVD at my ny building today , it really bothers me for 2 reasons that we have these pvds ..1 cause it’s taking away our drivers union work…and 2) if ups must use pvds then pre loaders should be able to get first dibs and in seniority order if they are interested in doing the work why as a u ion member wanting hours do I slave for 4 hours in the building and then have to get in my car and see a non union guy w a regular car load packages and go deliver them at 21 an hour for 4-8 hours….I can easily do that I’m already at the building and I have years experience , w ups and years experience delivering for all the delivery apps the past few years…I’m sure there are plenty other union pre loaders looking for some extra hours or cash and why not give it to them if we HAVE TO EVEN HAVE them to begin with …I say we don’t have them at all but I get how much money they save the company so :censored2: if we only use them for 2 months and only 2 months then pre loaders should get some hours….the problem will be that if they stick around for 2 months then 2 becomes 4 and 4 becomes 6 and so on n so forth and then next thing ya know we have full time non union pvds and full time union drivers and a big nightmare ….again if it’s a must need then make it for pre loaders keep it in house for our union guys and throw a couple of hours out to the pre loaders (if the drivers are all to busy, which is when and only when they get used )

Integrity

Binge Poster
Saw a PVD at my ny building today , it really bothers me for 2 reasons that we have these pvds ..1 cause it’s taking away our drivers union work…and 2) if ups must use pvds then pre loaders should be able to get first dibs and in seniority order if they are interested in doing the work why as a u ion member wanting hours do I slave for 4 hours in the building and then have to get in my car and see a non union guy w a regular car load packages and go deliver them at 21 an hour for 4-8 hours….I can easily do that I’m already at the building and I have years experience , w ups and years experience delivering for all the delivery apps the past few years…I’m sure there are plenty other union pre loaders looking for some extra hours or cash and why not give it to them if we HAVE TO EVEN HAVE them to begin with …I say we don’t have them at all but I get how much money they save the company so :censored2: if we only use them for 2 months and only 2 months then pre loaders should get some hours….the problem will be that if they stick around for 2 months then 2 becomes 4 and 4 becomes 6 and so on n so forth and then next thing ya know we have full time non union pvds and full time union drivers and a big nightmare ….again if it’s a must need then make it for pre loaders keep it in house for our union guys and throw a couple of hours out to the pre loaders (if the drivers are all to busy, which is when and only when they get used )
Did you apply for a PVD position?

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
In our building, the part time inside people have first refusal of PVD positions.

I really don't like PVD drivers because you are creating a workforce that can get packages delivered with an app on their phone that doesn't have to be able to drive a truck. Sounds like a perfect plan for replacement workers in case of strike. The last strike, the sups couldn't get anything done because of the numbers. Now, if they can get everything separated, they can take to a remote location and drop it while PVD's go there to pick it up. Can't picket everything and have to find multiple locations.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
In our building, the part time inside people have first refusal of PVD positions.

I really don't like PVD drivers because you are creating a workforce that can get packages delivered with an app on their phone that doesn't have to be able to drive a truck. Sounds like a perfect plan for replacement workers in case of strike. The last strike, the sups couldn't get anything done because of the numbers. Now, if they can get everything separated, they can take to a remote location and drop it while PVD's go there to pick it up. Can't picket everything and have to find multiple locations.
Just strike during crappy weather. The fair-weather pvd scabs won't show.

HavenoEDD

PVDs exist because the union allows it. The loopholes are there to be exposed and the company is taking advantage. The promise of union dues is too much for the union to turn down.
Don’t like it? Round up your buddies and vote.

Using you own vehicle is a rip off. Those miles add up.
I never understood this. Maybe someone who stays home all day could use this argument but driving around all day isn't any different than a lot of people do on Saturdays and Sundays shopping or other things. Understanding if you have a pretty beat up vehicle or one that has issues.. personally if I'm off work for a day I'll go for a 60 mile drive out of town for something to do. Really not much different than delivering.
I could see if you had a large truck it could eat into some profits but using a vehicle that gets great gas mileage - I'm pocketing 75% of the gas mileage reimbursement and only using 25% to fill up... a full tank of gas, 500 miles at $3 a gallon is about $35. 500 miles x .65 cents a mile.... much much more than $35 and easily enough to fix any small issue that may arise.

Don't beat up your vehicle. No hard stops, no hard acceleration. You get paid by the hour. Dirt roads? I'll go a snails pace with my hazards on. I've seen so far delivering that I'll need an oil change and new tires. Everything else is literal normal wear and tear. You shouldn't be running and gunning for pennies using your own vehicle. It's up to the PVD to make it worth their while.

There's a saying... use it or lose it. Same can be said for everything in life. A car being ran 8 hours a day without being turned off is LITERALLY what an engine was meant to do. Ask any knowledgeable mechanic they will tell you a motor in homeostasis while running is better than it sitting turned off and rotting away.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I never understood this. Maybe someone who stays home all day could use this argument but driving around all day isn't any different than a lot of people do on Saturdays and Sundays shopping or other things. Understanding if you have a pretty beat up vehicle or one that has issues.. personally if I'm off work for a day I'll go for a 60 mile drive out of town for something to do. Really not much different than delivering.
I could see if you had a large truck it could eat into some profits but using a vehicle that gets great gas mileage - I'm pocketing 75% of the gas mileage reimbursement and only using 25% to fill up... a full tank of gas, 500 miles at $3 a gallon is about $35. 500 miles x .65 cents a mile.... much much more than $35 and easily enough to fix any small issue that may arise.

Don't beat up your vehicle. No hard stops, no hard acceleration. You get paid by the hour. Dirt roads? I'll go a snails pace with my hazards on. I've seen so far delivering that I'll need an oil change and new tires. Everything else is literal normal wear and tear. You shouldn't be running and gunning for pennies using your own vehicle. It's up to the PVD to make it worth their while.

There's a saying... use it or lose it. Same can be said for everything in life. A car being ran 8 hours a day without being turned off is LITERALLY what an engine was meant to do. Ask any knowledgeable mechanic they will tell you a motor in homeostasis while running is better than it sitting turned off and rotting away.
How much they paying per mile? It's better be a lot more than gas money. That normal "wear and tear" adds up.

How much they paying per mile? It's better be a lot more than gas money. That normal "wear and tear" adds up.
.65 cents a mile currently for PVDs here. Now , I do rural deliveries... I'm doing 100+ miles a day, yesterday saw almost 180 miles.

So if you have a very large residential area that you are only driving 20 miles a day I very much could understand and see the wear and tear of running the vehicle is not up to par with the amount of pay given. Highway miles, on the other hand, is definitive profits no matter which way you look at it.

1/4 of each paycheck is straight gas mileage pay. And yes, I've been racking up overtime too.

Jerdo

Purpose of company is to make a profit for owners not to make Union members happy.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Purpose of company is to make a profit for owners not to make Union members happy.
65E70191-68FC-4DBF-8305-4ECEBC943819.jpeg

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Yes because :censored2: the working man and a sustainable livable career and money. Everybody should be payed minimum wage and live on the streets right?
You’re such a boot licking bum lmfao