PVDs and the contract

35years

Gravy route
We had a part time clerk (and air driver) who would hide address correction boxes he found the address for before the drivers left...Then he would drive the corrected ground boxes out after drivers left. He would get OT after 5 hours, and work 9-10 hours.
He made more than drivers.

His little gig lasted 15 years until someone filed on him.
Cut his hours to 4 a day.
It forced him to finally sign a driving bid.
Now he has been officially full time for 15 years, though he has worked full time hours for 30 years.
Still no where near getting his pension.

So I see why other "part time" air drivers are afraid of their gig being shut down.

I would feel sorry for him except his actions prevented a full time driving job from being created for years.

It is ridiculous to say it is the full time driver's calling in that creates the work.
That would be the same as saying the call-ins necessitated PVDs.
It is the purposeful understaffing by management, aided and enabled by the air drivers not having their gig grieved.

Last edited:
We had a part time clerk (and air driver) who would hide address correction boxes he found the address for before the drivers left...Then he would drive the corrected ground boxes out after drivers left. He would get OT after 5 hours, and work 9-10 hours.
He made more than drivers.

His little gig lasted 15 years until someone filed on him.
Cut his hours to 4 a day.
It forced him to finally sign a driving bid.
Now he has been officially full time for 15 years, though he has worked full time hours for 30 years.
Still no where near getting his pension.

So I see why other "part time" air drivers are afraid of their gig being shut down.

I would feel sorry for him except his actions prevented a full time driving job from being created for years.

It is ridiculous to say it is the full time driver's calling in that creates the work.
That would be the same as saying the call-ins necessitated PVDs.
It is the purposeful understaffing by management, aided and enabled by the air drivers not having their gig grieved.
PT air drivers either air exception or bid do not get OT until after 8 hours. Nice story though.

35years

Gravy route
PT air drivers either air exception or bid do not get OT until after 8 hours. Nice story though.

Fair enough.
I do not know for sure he made OT at 5 when he drove ground add corrections out.
I suspect he did though.
His main job was part time clerk.
Clerks around here make OT after 5.

Are you saying if he clerked for 6 hours and drove ground add corrections for three...
he would go on OT for one hour (5-6) and then switch back to strait time (6-8) then switch to OT (8-9)?

Either way a grievance takes care of the situation.
We now have no part timers driving any ground.
The few times management has tried to get away with it, full time drivers grieve.

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

Open season on part timers around here... 22.3, air drivers, car washers, porters, non-management clerks, inside/outside; no one is safe.
Not sure who you’re referring to but if you talking on the reduction of hours welcome to the beginning of the year every year at UPS. I did almost 8 years as a part timer double shifting doing whatever I could some of that time to get hours. At no time did I not understand that it wasn’t guaranteed more than 3 1/2 of what My seniority could get me. And that is why when I decided to stay on UPS long-term we fought for full-time jobs and will continue to do so so that you have a guarantee. If you fact are being targeted by management and not getting what you’re supposed to make sure you’re getting with your steward and filing. Everyone has a bit of safety through the contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heavy Package

UPS bought personal last mile delivery company Roadie last year, 2021. They have big plans to utilize and grow, expand, and integrate them into the last-mile delivery solution. If they become part of the Union, then great. If not, this could be a huge deal for the next CBA. Think Sunday delivery, PVD's, Roadie, 22.4 plus all the other issues our new Union leadership must negotiate. This is a big contract coming up.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
UPS bought personal last mile delivery company Roadie last year, 2021. They have big plans to utilize and grow, expand, and integrate them into the last-mile delivery solution. If they become part of the Union, then great. If not, this could be a huge deal for the next CBA. Think Sunday delivery, PVD's, Roadie, 22.4 plus all the other issues our new Union leadership must negotiate. This is a big contract coming up.
I think that's her union breaking strategy

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Open season on part timers around here... 22.3, air drivers, car washers, porters, non-management clerks, inside/outside; no one is safe.

Hey A55#01E, why don't you save that vitriol for management!
It "open season" for all employees in all classifications at UPS, post-Peak has been that way since I started in 1986.

You need to get over your misconception that if you pay dues as a part-timer that you should be able perform work that is clearly that of full-time employees per our collective bargaining agreements.

If you want more hours, then get in the ring and sign an intent sheet, as they are taking nearly anyone qualified these day and are still coming up short.

....but know for a fact that nobody is throwing you under the bus but yourself.

Fair enough.
I do not know for sure he made OT at 5 when he drove ground add corrections out.
I suspect he did though.
His main job was part time clerk.
Clerks around here make OT after 5.

Are you saying if he clerked for 6 hours and drove ground add corrections for three...
he would go on OT for one hour (5-6) and then switch back to strait time (6-8) then switch to OT (8-9)?

Either way a grievance takes care of the situation.
We now have no part timers driving any ground.
The few times management has tried to get away with it, full time drivers grieve.
If he clerked only for 6 hours he would be paid 1 hour OT. Once he goes on air exception classification it changes to OT after 8 hours. Art 40 Air Exception work. If he delivers or picks up ground packages he will receive top driver rate for the time spent delivering or picking up.