Question?

seb421

hello i work in a small 'hub' in Leyland England,

i work the twilight shift which isnt great at the best of times as nights never are.

its Freezeing cold in the wherehouse and getting colder we have no heating and no uniforms, not evan a ups t-shirt or anything

some of the lads still don there old lynxx uniform from years ago!

as im working in sub zero tempreatures with no heating, should ups be supplieing us with some form of uniform, other than a pair of steel toe caps.

surley this is law and policy is it coverd in any act that you may know of such as the employment regualtion act etc, just asking before i go digging, im sick of ripping and wearing out my own clothes at work and would like a jacket or fleese to put over my own tops.

Cheers seb.

seb421

dont be a tool, im guessing you are some one who bums ups.

my issue is not that of dressing warmer, as i stated in my post im sick of damaging my personal clothes and would like something to put over mine provided by my place of work.

i ask again, should ups be providing any uniform?

seb421

okay i found what i was looking for....

An extract from the HSE;

What is the maximum/minimum temperature in the workplace? The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 lay down particular requirements for most aspects of the working environment

Regulation 7 of these Regulations deals specifically with the temperature in indoor workplaces and states that:

During working hours, the temperature in all workplaces inside buildings shall be reasonable. However, the application of the regulation depends on the nature of the workplace i.e. a bakery, a cold store, an office, a warehouse.

The associated ACOP goes on to explain:

‘The temperature in workrooms should provide reasonable comfort without the need for special clothing. Where such a temperature is impractical because of hot or cold processes, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a temperature which is as close as possible to comfortable. 'Workroom' means a room where people normally work for more than short periods. The temperature in workrooms should normally be at least 16 degrees Celsius unless much of the work involves severe physical effort in which case the temperature should be at least 13 degrees Celsius.

These temperatures may not, however, ensure reasonable comfort, depending on other factors such as air movement and relative humidity.’ Where the temperature in a workroom would otherwise be uncomfortably high, for example because of hot processes or the design of the building, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a reasonably comfortable temperature

for example by: insulating hot plants or pipes;providing air-cooling plant;shading windows;siting workstations away from places subject to radiant heat. Where a reasonably comfortable temperature cannot be achieved throughout a workroom, local cooling should be provided. In extremely hot weather fans and increased ventilation may be used instead of local cooling.

Where, despite the provision of local cooling, workers are exposed to temperatures which do not give reasonable comfort, suitable protective clothing and rest facilities should be provided. Where practical there should be systems of work (for example, task rotation) to ensure that the length of time for which individual workers are exposed to uncomfortable temperatures is limited.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/temperature.htm

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
dont be a tool, im guessing you are some one who bums ups.

my issue is not that of dressing warmer, as i stated in my post im sick of damaging my personal clothes and would like something to put over mine provided by my place of work.

i ask again, should ups be providing any uniform?

Hi seb421 all the way from England!:surprised:
Welcome to the BrownCafe! Since you're new and you've already called someone a tool I'll give you some direction so you don't run into any problems in the future...

BrownCafe terms of service

Which includes:
Discussion can be animated, which is fine, but we do not welcome personal attacks, on- or off-site. It is inappropriate to say anything on a discussion forum about any individual or entity that you would not be prepared to say to them face-to-face.
It is fine to disagree with a different viewpoint, but please limit this to challenging the idea and not make your comments a personal challenge or make derogatory personal comments about individuals, their ideas or their situation. The latter is considered to be a flame and will not be tolerated.

seb421

Hi seb421 all the way from England!:surprised:
Welcome to the BrownCafe! Since you're new and you've already called someone a tool I'll give you some direction so you don't run into any problems in the future...

BrownCafe terms of service

Which includes:
Discussion can be animated, which is fine, but we do not welcome personal attacks, on- or off-site. It is inappropriate to say anything on a discussion forum about any individual or entity that you would not be prepared to say to them face-to-face.
It is fine to disagree with a different viewpoint, but please limit this to challenging the idea and not make your comments a personal challenge or make derogatory personal comments about individuals, their ideas or their situation. The latter is considered to be a flame and will not be tolerated.

i didnt mean affence by the use of the word tool, i was looking for advise not some cheep shot of a half arsed wise crack.
it just apears that there is allways one smart arse that has to jump in feet first with a retarted non-relevent reply on every board and i just had the pleasure right from the off.

DS

Fenderbender
Seb,first off welcome to the cafe,great to have you here.Sorry if your experience so far has been far from helpful.In America they have strict rules for drivers as far as the uniform goes,but here in Canada,they do not supply anyone else except the customer counter with warm clothes.I'm in a large hub with + 300 drivers,and even though it gets really cold,the building itself has ample heat.I'd love to send you a nice warm ups coat but they'd probobly fire me if they found out.Get a petition going to get them to turn on the heat.

seb421

thanks for the reply DS, im a loader unfortunaly and not a driver, as for any kind of heating system we have none unless they class the quiver of heat emmiting from the poor outdoor garden security indoor lighting

i shall reffer my manager to the Health and Safety at work act, also does any one know if UPS class there hub's as out door's? i find this hard to understand given that they have a roof and sides and ours is fully capable of being a secure facilty,

if they do class my working enviroment an outdoor enviroment then surley they should be under geater scrutiny for expecing its workforce to endure outdoor elements with out providing its employees with adacuate clothing?