Quitting without notice questions.

gostillerz

I go back the end of december. But I'm in the process of trying to prepare stuff for interviews for when I get back to school. And since that can help me get into what I actually want to do for the rest of my life that takes priority over a part time job.

Seasonal job, but I agree with you. On one hand, you should give notice as early as possible since its the professional and moral thing to do. On the other hand, UPS isn't professional or moral, and I enjoy seeing management get what they give to me..

I just don't see why you took the job to begin with. What's the career your going for?

gostillerz

Last year, they wanted my helper to get off the truck for 1.5-2 hours unpaid while I did my pickups. That made him quit. When I was a helper, they wanted me to work 2 hours with one guy from 10:00-12:00, go home for an hour, then meet another driver 30 miles away to work another 2. They treat helpers like crap.

Cementups

Box Monkey
When I was hired, the only time I worked more than 30 was peak. My helper has never worked more than 30 hours in a week, usually under 25.

Ha ha, my helper on my old route would sometimes run out of hours by the end of the week. pretty bad since I never did. He would help me for 4-5 hours and then go in for his twilight shift in the hub and occasional pull a double and work the midnight. Then he would be right back in my truck at 11am the next day to do it all over again. He's a feeder driver now. Skipped the whole package car thing.

wayfair

swollen member
helper question ..." what did you do today?"

"Shagged packages for a driver"

is it easy? "yeah, just take the box to the front door"
how many times? around 175 200

how long ? 50 hours

what were you going to do??? think about playing Call of Duty.....

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I am the person interviewing you.
I see you worked for UPS.
Less than a month? Please explain.
  • Me - I am listening but all I hear is blah, blah.
  • Me - Evaluating the candidate.
  • Me - Life gets tough. How will you perform for me when...?
  • Me - Prepare for this interview? Rest of your life?
  • Me - I wonder if I have time to run to Starbucks before next interview.
You are on the inside.
Tough it out.
Consider it an enhancement to your work profile.
The outside sees this experience as GOLD.
The world is small.

Let's say I respect my UPS driver and have and envelope for him...and he has a helper.
Peak is over.
That guy, the helper person, I never caught his name....
I return from Starbucks and preparing for next interview...I catch John, my UPS driver at the dock and we have words.
I sit down for my next interview...
I know the face but I can't place it....
Hell yeah...after glancing at the resume & application...
First words out of my mouth, "Your name is Scott!! You and John worked your ***** off last month...I hope he shared some of the wealth with you!!! What brings you in today? ooops, I am sorry I swore..."

The world is small and it is all about connections.
  • My first candidate brought nothing but his bloated ego to the interview.
  • The second candidate brought substance, maybe less qualified, but I don't see a quitter.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's BS. I was hired as a part timer 19 years ago and consistently worked 40-50 hours a week.......part time!

It's not BS--our helpers rarely go over 30 hours a week.

The OP went in to this job thinking he would work 4-5 hours a day and is working up to 50 hours a week. I don't even work 50 hours a week. While I normally don't condone quitting I think the OP should let his helper coordinator know that Friday will be his last day so that they can hire someone who wants the hours.

Nimnim

The Nim
It's a seasonal gig, it's really not possible to give 2 weeks. You didn't expect to be spending so much time working, but wanted some extra cash, I get that. I'd say your options are get with the coordinator and see if you can get less time so you can get some things together for your education. Or you can get with the coordinator and let them know this will be your last week. Don't let them know Friday, let them know now so they can work you while they look for someone else.