R1a Question

vantexan

Alrighty then. Revenues are at their highest level in a decade. The operating margins, however, have failed to return to pre-recession levels. I've asked you several times how to solve that problem *and* implement the compensation package that you want and your answer consists of nothing but "I don't care, I want this/that/the other and there are rich people and I blame them."The company is doing the same we do --most of us, at least-- when our expenses and income reflect that same scenario.
Most of us when times are tight watch our spending. When times are better we spend more to get the things we want or need. We don't, when times are bad, hurt others financially so that we can act like we are doing as well as when times are good. But whatever. I've worked hard for 13+ years next to people who were able to get what they wanted or needed while I had to live a very restricted life, sacrificing to have anything. That's not going to get any better so if FedEx wants to put a smile on my face then I hope they offer something similar to the "Rule of 70" and let me leave. I'm tired of dealing with people who think I should be very productive, be willing to sacrifice, and be happy about it. And P.S. It doesn't matter what I think because FedEx is going to do what they're going to do no matter what. You just want me to happily accept not getting the pension THEY told me I'd get, and having to settle for much less pay than people I almost always outwork. And I could care less how much rich guys have as long as they pay me fairly. If they don't pay me fairly, and aren't sharing in the sacrifice, don't expect me to respect them or their apologists.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Most of us when times are tight watch our spending. When times are better we spend more to get the things we want or need. We don't, when times are bad, hurt others financially so that we can act like we are doing as well as when times are good.

We don't? I got rid of the guy who mowed my lawn because I had better uses for that money than to give it to him. Should I have kept using and paying for his service even though it was not consistent with the goals of my household income?

But whatever. I've worked hard for 13+ years next to people who were able to get what they wanted or needed while I had to live a very restricted life, sacrificing to have anything. That's not going to get any better so if FedEx wants to put a smile on my face then I hope they offer something similar to the "Rule of 70" and let me leave. I'm tired of dealing with people who think I should be very productive, be willing to sacrifice, and be happy about it. And P.S. It doesn't matter what I think because FedEx is going to do what they're going to do no matter what. You just want me to happily accept not getting the pension THEY told me I'd get, and having to settle for much less pay than people I almost always outwork. And I could care less how much rich guys have as long as they pay me fairly. If they don't pay me fairly, and aren't sharing in the sacrifice, don't expect me to respect them or their apologists.

So in summary, you care about your compensation and that's about it. Why not just say so instead of giving us a bunch of moral BS? Heck, there's a way to accomplish what you want. The company can get rid of even more employees than the ones they're already planning on getting rid of and use that savings to boost your pay and benefits!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Don't listen to him Van. It's like arguing with a drunk. 59 Dano would be more than happy to work for free if Fred told him to.

vantexan

We don't? I got rid of the guy who mowed my lawn because I had better uses for that money than to give it to him. Should I have kept using and paying for his service even though it was not consistent with the goals of my household income?So in summary, you care about your compensation and that's about it. Why not just say so instead of giving us a bunch of moral BS? Heck, there's a way to accomplish what you want. The company can get rid of even more employees than the ones they're already planning on getting rid of and use that savings to boost your pay and benefits!
Moral BS? That's your problem, you don't have a moral compass. And your analogy doesn't work either. When times are tight people mow their own lawn. They don't, however, do things like steal the man's lawnmower and sell it so that they can keep up the prosperous illusion. And I happen to care very much about how slammed my coworkers are going to get, and have told a handful already. You're so used to acting in your own self interest you can't understand why anyone would stick their neck out.

snackdad

I love how 59 Dano always sticks up for FedEx and feels that they can do no wrong no matter what. Remember that thought, write down all your slogans and cheers and save them in a box. One day when you are on the outside, the other side of where you are now, open the box and realize that you never were more than a number and a unit of human capital to FedEx. Trying to convince yourself that you are different and FedEx is not all that bad if you walk the fine line may work for you on a daily basis but many of us here know the truths you refuse to acknowledge. You really are out of touch with the current state of the station....

bbsam

Staff member
I love how 59 Dano always sticks up for FedEx and feels that they can do no wrong no matter what. Remember that thought, write down all your slogans and cheers and save them in a box. One day when you are on the outside, the other side of where you are now, open the box and realize that you never were more than a number and a unit of human capital to FedEx. Trying to convince yourself that you are different and FedEx is not all that bad if you walk the fine line may work for you on a daily basis but many of us here know the truths you refuse to acknowledge. You really are out of touch with the current state of the station....
Actually, 59Dano has been one of the folks here trying to make that point. You, me, and the rest of the Fedex workforce are "cogs in the machine". The problem is that some folks think that they should be something other than that but still remain. R1a thought he should be more than that and made his exit, which under the circumstances is commendable. I'm not in love with the company and certainly have had my differences with it, but hey, what's wrong with that?

59 Dano

Moral BS? That's your problem, you don't have a moral compass. And your analogy doesn't work either. When times are tight people mow their own lawn. They don't, however, do things like steal the man's lawnmower and sell it so that they can keep up the prosperous illusion.

I'm sure that made a lot more sense when you thought it up than it does posted here in this context.

59 Dano

Don't listen to him Van. It's like arguing with a drunk. 59 Dano would be more than happy to work for free if Fred told him to.

It's like arguing with a person who knows how to use a calculator.

As I've said a few times, if you know of a way to do whatever it is you want to our compensation while keeping our margins at their previous levels, there's a nice big office waiting for you in Memphis and a paycheck so big that you'll need 2 bank accounts to put it in.

59 Dano

Buddy, I don't always stick up for the company and I know good and well that they can do wrong. I'm pointing out the reality of the current economic situation. I want more money for me and everyone else. That's not going to happen until the inefficiencies that have crept up over the last few years are straightened out. You and the others can scream until you're blue in the face that you should get this or that, but business comes first. At FedEx, at UPS, at IBM, at Wal Mart, everywhere.

If the company isn't operating efficiently and effectively, they aren't going to be generous with the compensation. That's what we're looking at right now. At this moment, the goal is to take care of those issues. You can like it or you can hate it or you can not care, but that's what the focus is on right now and that's what it's going to be for a while and all the complaining in the world will not change it. As for being out of touch, trying stepping back and looking at the big picture for a change. There's more to Express than your paycheck.

winglas

While I love reading these conversation, I usually keep my comments to myself as Im a pretty new employee. That said, I can see and understand both sides of the arguement. The thing I dont understand is if couriers are so pissed about the top out thing and other takeaways, why not change what you can? I realize some might not think they have any opportunities, but its never to late, within or outside the company. The top out pay issue can be easily circumvented...just go through the new aim program (it seems long, but is actually very simple when you look at it) and start looking for a management position. I realize that alot might not want to become a manager, so spend you 1 day as a manager, drop back down to courier and your automatically topped out...and the plus side is it doesnt take anywhere near 10+ years. Yes you may be required to sacrifice by having to move, but whats more important to you? Staying where you are, or changing something that concerns you for the better. Companies arent what they were years ago. Most arent concerned with taking care of employees like they used to be, thats up to you now. If you want top out pay faster (or at all), then be smart about it...make the sacrifice and use the programs and policies the company has set in place to YOUR advantage, not theirs...and if your not willing to make the sacrifice then quit complaining because as I said, these days no one is going put forth the effort to help you or give you anything if you dont do it yourself.

vantexan

Buddy, I don't always stick up for the company and I know good and well that they can do wrong. I'm pointing out the reality of the current economic situation. I want more money for me and everyone else. That's not going to happen until the inefficiencies that have crept up over the last few years are straightened out. You and the others can scream until you're blue in the face that you should get this or that, but business comes first. At FedEx, at UPS, at IBM, at Wal Mart, everywhere.

If the company isn't operating efficiently and effectively, they aren't going to be generous with the compensation. That's what we're looking at right now. At this moment, the goal is to take care of those issues. You can like it or you can hate it or you can not care, but that's what the focus is on right now and that's what it's going to be for a while and all the complaining in the world will not change it. As for being out of touch, trying stepping back and looking at the big picture for a change. There's more to Express than your paycheck.

FedEx took a $700 million dollar loss on Zapmail, as well as lost about $110 million to a crooked accounting firm. Topped out employees didn't get raises for 4.5 years starting shortly after those disasters. Connected?

FedEx finally came up with some serious adjustments in top-out pay in '98, union scare. Mid-range pay has been messed with pretty much ever since. They got the better pay, we got strung out forever. Connected?

FedEx terminated the pension plan in 2008. Very likely buyouts that will allow some couriers to take their full pension benefit early, possibly very soon. In their long range planning they knew in 2007 when they announced the termination that they'd eventually offer buyouts. Why shell out more money than you have to when you're allowing people to leave early? Everyone, except the most senior, took a hit on their pension to help pay for these buyouts. Connected?

It appears in order to get their 35hrs guarantee many FTers in the upcoming scheme will have to take long splits. The company just ended split pay. This will not only save them money but greatly frustrate FTers who'll be out all day for 7 or so hrs. Will pressure many to either go PT or quit. Connected?

It's been the company's M.O. for a long time now to pay for things they want, or to compensate one group, by taking away from another. It's not just about dealing with current economic concerns. The company has manipulated tens of thousands for many years now in their pursuit of the most profit for their shareholders. Can't say that they're doing what's necessary to keep us all in jobs because they're doing everything possible without taking a huge public relations hit to do away with most of those jobs. It's about being used, pure and simple, to accomplish a grand master plan. If they hadn't made promises they never fully intended to keep it would be much easier to take. Just give me the best deal possible and let me move on. I and so many others have earned that much.

vantexan

While I love reading these conversation, I usually keep my comments to myself as Im a pretty new employee. That said, I can see and understand both sides of the arguement. The thing I dont understand is if couriers are so pissed about the top out thing and other takeaways, why not change what you can? I realize some might not think they have any opportunities, but its never to late, within or outside the company. The top out pay issue can be easily circumvented...just go through the new aim program (it seems long, but is actually very simple when you look at it) and start looking for a management position. I realize that alot might not want to become a manager, so spend you 1 day as a manager, drop back down to courier and your automatically topped out...and the plus side is it doesnt take anywhere near 10+ years. Yes you may be required to sacrifice by having to move, but whats more important to you? Staying where you are, or changing something that concerns you for the better. Companies arent what they were years ago. Most arent concerned with taking care of employees like they used to be, thats up to you now. If you want top out pay faster (or at all), then be smart about it...make the sacrifice and use the programs and policies the company has set in place to YOUR advantage, not theirs...and if your not willing to make the sacrifice then quit complaining because as I said, these days no one is going put forth the effort to help you or give you anything if you dont do it yourself.

Why would the company go to great expense to train you as a mgr just to let you drop to a topped out courier after 1 day? And you are right, you are new. If you had put in the years you'd already know the answers to your questions.

vantexan

It's like arguing with a person who knows how to use a calculator.

As I've said a few times, if you know of a way to do whatever it is you want to our compensation while keeping our margins at their previous levels, there's a nice big office waiting for you in Memphis and a paycheck so big that you'll need 2 bank accounts to put it in.

Propagandist...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
59Dano is nothing but a lying corporate plant.I have stood by and watched his lies rise in an ever growing fecal pile until I felt I had to say something. Lower than whale sheet.

59 Dano

FedEx took a $700 million dollar loss on Zapmail, as well as lost about $110 million to a crooked accounting firm. Topped out employees didn't get raises for 4.5 years starting shortly after those disasters. Connected?

FedEx finally came up with some serious adjustments in top-out pay in '98, union scare. Mid-range pay has been messed with pretty much ever since. They got the better pay, we got strung out forever. Connected?

FedEx terminated the pension plan in 2008. Very likely buyouts that will allow some couriers to take their full pension benefit early, possibly very soon. In their long range planning they knew in 2007 when they announced the termination that they'd eventually offer buyouts. Why shell out more money than you have to when you're allowing people to leave early? Everyone, except the most senior, took a hit on their pension to help pay for these buyouts. Connected?

It appears in order to get their 35hrs guarantee many FTers in the upcoming scheme will have to take long splits. The company just ended split pay. This will not only save them money but greatly frustrate FTers who'll be out all day for 7 or so hrs. Will pressure many to either go PT or quit. Connected?

I'm sure there's probably some connection, however tenuous, to some of those. Then again, I remember that you think there's a connection between your posting here a complaint about an unapproved insurance claim and the eventual approval of it, so the grains of salt are at the ready.

Here's one, though. Total domestic volumes are at pre-1998 levels, as are domestic overnight volumes, yet Express' total amount spend on employee compensation is increasing... and the company is looking at major expense reductions. Connection?

Here's another one. Pension costs --the DBPP, the old one-- increased by over 200% from 2009 to 2011. The company is looking at major expense reductions. Connection?

It's been the company's M.O. for a long time now to pay for things they want, or to compensate one group, by taking away from another. It's not just about dealing with current economic concerns. The company has manipulated tens of thousands for many years now in their pursuit of the most profit for their shareholders. Can't say that they're doing what's necessary to keep us all in jobs because they're doing everything possible without taking a huge public relations hit to do away with most of those jobs. It's about being used, pure and simple, to accomplish a grand master plan. If they hadn't made promises they never fully intended to keep it would be much easier to take. Just give me the best deal possible and let me move on. I and so many others have earned that much.

Wow, you've almost figured out that money spent on something can't also be spent on something else! There's hope yet.

59 Dano

Why would the company go to great expense to train you as a mgr just to let you drop to a topped out courier after 1 day? And you are right, you are new. If you had put in the years you'd already know the answers to your questions.

You can't drop out after a day and become a topped out courier. I think it's a minimum of 6 months. Darn greedy company already saw that one coming...

northeast swing driver

I'm sure there's probably some connection, however tenuous, to some of those. Then again, I remember that you think there's a connection between your posting here a complaint about an unapproved insurance claim and the eventual approval of it, so the grains of salt are at the ready.

Here's one, though. Total domestic volumes are at pre-1998 levels, as are domestic overnight volumes, yet Express' total amount spend on employee compensation is increasing... and the company is looking at major expense reductions. Connection?

Here's another one. Pension costs --the DBPP, the old one-- increased by over 200% from 2009 to 2011. The company is looking at major expense reductions. Connection?

Wow, you've almost figured out that money spent on something can't also be spent on something else! There's hope yet.

you are scum SUIT