REAL BAD start

BrownChoice

Anyone know why, one time i scanned package at the correct location and diad flashed red like it was wrong area. Happened on 2 different packages at next stop. Checked, and triple checked, yup at right address......???

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Anyone know why, one time i scanned package at the correct location and diad flashed red like it was wrong area. Happened on 2 different packages at next stop. Checked, and triple checked, yup at right address......???

It happens. Just double check address and continue delivery.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
@ChicagosPrimeMinister, take some note cards (the size of the info notes, so they fit in your pocket) and write down the North-South streets as you would cross them going West to East, the block #, & an arrow showing one way direction. Something like this (don't trust those #s I put in below for an example):
  • 1600W Ashland
  • W Justine VVV
  • 1500W Laflin ∆∆∆
  • W Bishop VVV
  • 1400W Loomis ∆∆∆
  • W Ada VVV
  • 1300W Throop ∆∆∆
  • W Elizabeth VVV
  • 1100W Racine
  • W May VVV
  • W Aberdeen ∆∆∆
  • 1000W Carpenter VVV
  • W Morgan
  • W Sangamon
  • 900W Peoria
  • 830W Green
  • 800W Halsted
Just do the arrows for East-West.

The goal is to eventually memorize all the streets, and making these cards will help you learn them and in the meantime be a quick reference. Also, get a pocket size Chicago street guide (the streets are listed alphabetically, with the block #).

Great idea. One thing I have thought about though, with Orion. And have discussed with many of the new hires. I do not feel you actually learn streets, when following Orion, like we used to the old way.
And yes, if in doubt about the safety of leaving a package get a SDN, signed delivery notice. Mark on it for them to sign the back, the next day scan package, scan SDN, hit driver release, SDN, type in name, leave, covered.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is a program called ODS-E which allows your center team to go in to your DIAD through the computer in your office while you are on-road. They will do this for many reasons, among these to see how many stops you have left or to see if you have entered your meal and break times. When they do this it screws up the GPS, hence the DIAD making all of that noise.

oldngray

nowhere special
Driver release is always at the discretion on the driver. If you think you should get a signature at a stop then do so. There are areas where it will be an automatic driver followup if you just start giving away packages. If you know your route you will know who you need a signature for and who you can leave it. You could cherry pick through your route and make certain stops signature only but that won't work if half your route is like that. Not your job to do that either.

watdaflock?

You're fine. Enjoy your workday. I'm sure you have nothing to be worried about.
Come first week of December you'll be working 15+ hour days.

ChicagosPrimeMinister

What rhmyes with UPS?
@ChicagosPrimeMinister, take some note cards (the size of the info notes, so they fit in your pocket) and write down the North-South streets as you would cross them going West to East, the block #, & an arrow showing one way direction. Something like this (don't trust those #s I put in below for an example):
  • 1600W Ashland
  • W Justine VVV
  • 1500W Laflin ∆∆∆
  • W Bishop VVV
  • 1400W Loomis ∆∆∆
  • W Ada VVV
  • 1300W Throop ∆∆∆
  • W Elizabeth VVV
  • 1100W Racine
  • W May VVV
  • W Aberdeen ∆∆∆
  • 1000W Carpenter VVV
  • W Morgan
  • W Sangamon
  • 900W Peoria
  • 830W Green
  • 800W Halsted
Just do the arrows for East-West.

The goal is to eventually memorize all the streets, and making these cards will help you learn them and in the meantime be a quick reference. Also, get a pocket size Chicago street guide (the streets are listed alphabetically, with the block #).

Wow I didn't even see al these replies, but thanks I just read them all, I'm doing pretty good on my route now. Usually 140-180 stops, not really that bad. Thanks though

Mack Grant

Ok so I just started driving last week Tuesday and I've been on this route by myself just this week. Couple things going wrong, for one I got a couple dfu's that I know I delivered. 2. My route is usually 6-8 hours, and I did about 11 yesterday (went off and delivered without Orion and it just killed me). I know the route, deliver all my airs on time but they just keep adding streets that kills me.

Btw I'm delivering in the south side of Chicago, so I usually hide some of the packages or letters or just service cross them as not in. And chicago has ALOT of one ways which if you miss a street, it'll literally :censored2: up your day.

Anyway these dfu's are killing me, idk what to do. I feel like I damn near lost this job.

Slow it down!

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Here, we have to leave the send agains in the truck until 8pm. That's when our customer pick up is cut off. Then someone goes down the line and unloads all the send agains.