Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbsam

Staff member
That isn't much of an answer. Why do the Muslims hate the Jews and vice versa? Why did the Protestants hate the Catholics? Why do Christians look down on Hindus, Krishna's, and Buddhists? It probably goes back the other way too. I would say there are very few religions that are true to the words of their respective saviors...and that is sad. Please don't tell me that "your religion" is innocent, because none of them are. Right now, there are radical Islamists vowing to kill all of us because we're not with them.

If there is a God, and I truly hope there is, He/She/It needs to start showing-up for work, because this world is a hot mess.
I don't hate muslims. I have never been in a church where Jews were called "Christ killers". I'm intrigued by what other religions teach their followers and am truly amazed that you allow yourself to view religion so broadly. You're smarter than that but seem to insist that you already know what all religions are about because...well I don't know why you think that. You obviously speak superficially on the subject.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't hate muslims. I have never been in a church where Jews were called "Christ killers". I'm intrigued by what other religions teach their followers and am truly amazed that you allow yourself to view religion so broadly. You're smarter than that but seem to insist that you already know what all religions are about because...well I don't know why you think that. You obviously speak superficially on the subject.

Religion isn't broad? Really? In India, you have sects that worship the rat, for example. What constitutes a "god" pretty much covers the spectrum, so a broad view is necessary by definition.

I've never been to a church where Jews were called "Christ Killers", but I've met plenty of Christians who say that privately, or say Catholics are bad, Mormons aren't Christians etc.

My point is that Christians (and everyone else) do not have a lock on what's right/correct about what or who "God" really is. Live and let live.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why can't islam control their terrorist? It's because islam has no central authority to decide what authentic Islam is. It's a free for all. Kind of like the coexist crowd. Who the hell knows what perverse ideas run thru their heads. They are their own self check. Welcome to the police state.

As bbsam said, Christians cannot control the Benny Hinns or Creflo Dollars, nor can they control the Timothy McVeighs or Eric Rudolphs of the world. Who is the central authority of Christianity that keeps all of these radical factions in-check?

Radical Christians don't usually run around killing those that don't share their beliefs, but there are plenty of radicalized Jesus freaks who need to back it down a few notches.

How about that Bible-banging Pastor in Texas who was going to the mall to tell the kids the truth about Santa Claus? That's just crazy.

bbsam

Staff member
Religion isn't broad? Really? In India, you have sects that worship the rat, for example. What constitutes a "god" pretty much covers the spectrum, so a broad view is necessary by definition.

I've never been to a church where Jews were called "Christ Killers", but I've met plenty of Christians who say that privately, or say Catholics are bad, Mormons aren't Christians etc.

My point is that Christians (and everyone else) do not have a lock on what's right/correct about what or who "God" really is. Live and let live.
My bad. I meant you see religion narrowly as in to fit your own incomplete idea. And it seems you have all kinds of "strangeness or religion" things to toss out, all kinds of failings, but are you are open to the idea that 10s of billions of religious people the world over are more than willing to "live and let live"? Or are only the radicals, the wackos, the big mouths and the haters the only ones that belong in your category of "religion"?

bbsam

Staff member
How about that Bible-banging Pastor in Texas who was going to the mall to tell the kids the truth about Santa Claus? That's just crazy.

What about the 400 ELCA pastors in the state of Illinois whom you've never heard of and have never heard speak nor seen the work the do in communities? Why do they not catch your gaze?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My bad. I meant you see religion narrowly as in to fit your own incomplete idea. And it seems you have all kinds of "strangeness or religion" things to toss out, all kinds of failings, but are you are open to the idea that 10s of billions of religious people the world over are more than willing to "live and let live"? Or are only the radicals, the wackos, the big mouths and the haters the only ones that belong in your category of "religion"?

No. You're getting the wrong idea.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I've never seen him offer anything constructive or instructive.
7548fe313c61403aee1c7baad782ab89.jpg

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What about the 400 ELCA pastors in the state of Illinois whom you've never heard of and have never heard speak nor seen the work the do in communities? Why do they not catch your gaze?

Good for them. What about the 400 Catholic priests Hasterting young boys. I just picked 400...you know it's much higher than that.

bbsam

Staff member
You come off as a persecuted Christian, which is crap, because Christians run the show here in the USA.
Not at all. I just don't think you're willing to tell the whole truth. It doesn't fit your narrative.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Prosecute them and those who cover for them. What's so hard about that?

Nothing. Tell the Pope to quit covering up for the church, bring the offending priests to justice, and pay the victims and provide psychological support.

Francis needs to clean-out the garbage and make sure there is no longer an underground support system that perpetuates the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.