Reload Question

JR6G

Hey. So here is my deal, kinda confusing - I started UPS because my business slowed down - long story short my business doing computer work has expanded and grown since I’ve been working for UPS. I can make more money if I quit UPS and do that but I’ll lose the benefits. I’m wondering - can I work reload every day if I’m a cover driver? I’ve been driving for a year now. Can I just tell them hey I’m not going to drive cover driving anymore, can I just work reload for this week, and then just keep doing it? Idk any suggestions would be WONDERFUL. My boss says he will let me just work on my business after summers over for right now “he really needs drivers”. But I can make as much money as I do with UPS in a LOT less time. Much less time consuming and honestly more money in the long run.

542thruNthru

Hey. So here is my deal, kinda confusing - I started UPS because my business slowed down - long story short my business doing computer work has expanded and grown since I’ve been working for UPS. I can make more money if I quit UPS and do that but I’ll lose the benefits. I’m wondering - can I work reload every day if I’m a cover driver? I’ve been driving for a year now. Can I just tell them hey I’m not going to drive cover driving anymore, can I just work reload for this week, and then just keep doing it? Idk any suggestions would be WONDERFUL. My boss says he will let me just work on my business after summers over for right now “he really needs drivers”. But I can make as much money as I do with UPS in a LOT less time. Much less time consuming and honestly more money in the long run.

Are you a PT Cover Driver?

Self DQ and work only PT

542thruNthru

Yes PT. So what do you mean Self DQ

Self disqualify. Call your local and talk to your Buisness Agent. Tell him you no longer want to drive because its interfering with your second job. You want to work reload only.

This may depend on where you are and what your supplmental language says but its happen here a few times.

JR6G

Gotcha, and I also wonder at the same time - if for some reason my business slows down again, would it be hard to come back in as a driver? That’s my other question. I hate to be a pain in the ass to UPS but it’s kinda stressful getting a business off the ground and trying to do both at the same time. It’s been a heck of a time just being able to do my computer work on weekends and driving every day. It’s definitely draining me. Oh and thanks so much for your reply! You’ve helped me a lot

542thruNthru

Gotcha, and I also wonder at the same time - if for some reason my business slows down again, would it be hard to come back in as a driver? That’s my other question. I hate to be a pain in the ass to UPS but it’s kinda stressful getting a business off the ground and trying to do both at the same time. It’s been a heck of a time just being able to do my computer work on weekends and driving every day. It’s definitely draining me. Oh and thanks so much for your reply! You’ve helped me a lot

This would depend on your area contract language.

Here if you self DQ yourself you'll have to wait a year before you can drive again. Again this is something you should ask your BA.

Where are you?

BiggieBrown

He's a PT cover driver. The company wants to hop him from driver to loader whenever its convenient for them.

And he knew that when he chose to be a cover driver.
What do you think "cover driver" means?
There are other people waiting for these jobs.
Either make a commitment or get the hell out the way.

542thruNthru

And he knew that when he chose to be a cover driver.
What do you think "cover driver" means?
There are other people waiting for these jobs.

And they can take it when he leaves the position.

Again, the company knew he could disqualify himself whenever he wanted to. They knew that when they agreed to the contract.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

If you can go back to just part time I would recommend doing that and simply putting all the rest of your focus on your business. Don't worry about trying to hop back and forth between driving and your business. If running your business is what you want to do, you need to go all in. Prepare yourself for the lean times so when they come around you can focus on drumming up more business rather than trying to make more money at UPS.

trickpony1

The OP should just work reload and focus on building his business.
If times get tough he can pick up the phone and call an employment agency.

JR6G

This would depend on your area contract language.

Here if you self DQ yourself you'll have to wait a year before you can drive again. Again this is something you should ask your BA.

Where are you?

Yes that sounds good to me I’m in Georgia. I honestly never thought my biz was going to expand to be honest it was pretty dead now people are calling me from google - I never planned on just using UPS to be honest. So it was just unexpected. I got a lot of great replies guys thank you

trickpony1

Just baffles me why people think UPS should accommodate their every whim and desire.

Statistically speaking, not everybody is going to do everything therefore, and hence, there will be some people that want to work as long as possible and some who would like to leave early.

The company might try negotiating their ego and work with these two groups of people.

The only reason they don't is they can't gamble losing the discipline and esprit de corps (I used a big word).

UPS isn't the military.

trickpony1

addendum:
I know of an extended center in my state where most of the PT'ers only work 1.5....maybe 2 hours a day.

They are there only for the benefits.

Db2400

Yes that sounds good to me I’m in Georgia. I honestly never thought my biz was going to expand to be honest it was pretty dead now people are calling me from google - I never planned on just using UPS to be honest. So it was just unexpected. I got a lot of great replies guys thank you
Hey. So here is my deal, kinda confusing - I started UPS because my business slowed down - long story short my business doing computer work has expanded and grown since I’ve been working for UPS. I can make more money if I quit UPS and do that but I’ll lose the benefits. I’m wondering - can I work reload every day if I’m a cover driver? I’ve been driving for a year now. Can I just tell them hey I’m not going to drive cover driving anymore, can I just work reload for this week, and then just keep doing it? Idk any suggestions would be WONDERFUL. My boss says he will let me just work on my business after summers over for right now “he really needs drivers”. But I can make as much money as I do with UPS in a LOT less time. Much less time consuming and h. onestly more money in the long run. What is your original shift as a part timer? If you dont want to drive just dont show up to drive and show to your original shift