Reloader to Seasonal Driver

gostillerz

Just a question. I work preload, and sometimes reload. Another center is hiring temp drivers. Can I be a temp driver then go back to preload?

Other one. How do they handle peak here? I'd rather be a driver helper again. Do I have to do both preload and then go out, or can I just be a helper? I was told during peak, preload can start at 1am, but if I go out after that and get home at 6pm, it's a pretty long shift.

Basically, do I have to do both, or can I work one and come back to preload after the holidays?

Service Failure

You are required to work both shifts as an insider when you are a driver helper. if you are already a part-time driver then it would be just like cover driving but i don't know if they make you work the preload if you are going to drive all day. We still work the preload during the normal year when you take up cover driving so it may be the same.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The cover drivers that we have that are still working the preload will not work the preload if they know that they will be driving that day. However, if they are not scheduled to drive they will bring their browns in because they may be asked to either deliver air or run off a bulk stop or two or may end up covering an area due to a call-in.

My helper for the past 2 years is a preloader so it does make for a long day for him, working both the preload and then however many hours as a helper. This is why they prefer that we find outside hires for helpers but it is becoming increasingly difficult to find people willing to put up with what UPS asks of its helpers.

I don't think you can stop working the preload to become a helper at peak. Staffing is almost always an issue at peak. I seriously doubt they would have you work from 1-start time (9 am?) on the preload and then be a helper until 6pm.

barnyard

KTM rider
In our center, preloaders and afternoon unload both work as helpers. I was pt for 5 yrs and worked every peak as a helper. Usually maxed out at 10 hours a day. Made for a nice Christmas.

TB

gostillerz

I was hoping that since I worked as a helper last year, knowing the diad and my driver's route, they could get another shmuck to unload my trailers. Being a helper is what made me decide to work at UPS. I loved it. I liked talking to the people (UPS usually delivers stuff you want, the mailman delivers bills), and of course Christmas party food is a plus. But I know they'd have to pay me more than an off the street guy. I'm in a small center. I'm the only loader in pm and there are 2 of us in the trailers on preload.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was hoping that since I worked as a helper last year, knowing the diad and my driver's route, they could get another shmuck to unload my trailers. Being a helper is what made me decide to work at UPS. I loved it. I liked talking to the people (UPS usually delivers stuff you want, the mailman delivers bills), and of course Christmas party food is a plus. But I know they'd have to pay me more than an off the street guy. I'm in a small center. I'm the only loader in pm and there are 2 of us in the trailers on preload.

Helpers in my center start at $8.50 so I assume you must be a bit higher than that. I believe you would get your preload pay rate as a helper.

Service Failure

In our center they started inside helpers at 14.70 and outsiders at 8.50. The 14.70 was pretty much pure overtime so we were looking at 22 bucks an hr. Tax sucks though haha.

gostillerz

Yeah. I was told that inside guys being helpers make around $14. But what would UPS do? Pay an experienced guy more to be a helper for $14 while hiring an unloader at 8.50, or keep me doing the trailers at $10 and pay the outside guy $9.50 to help the drivers?

hyena

I was paid 11.76 an hour last year. In the new contract in the supplement for central states it says helpers start out at 80% of the drivers starting rate.

AznDiablo

Why are you guys making so much. Out here in Los Angeles inside hires only make $9.50 and our cost of living is pretty expensive compared to the rest of the nation.