remote access

mathematics

I have an RSA token. Is there a way to set up my outlook at home to access work email? I know i can use webmail, but outlook is easier if it's possible.

LifeUPSer

Life without Parole
In order to access your work email you need to have the AT&T network global dialer. You should be able to get it from your TSG people. It is a pain to set up but once you do it is nice. You can access the work servers as well.

I wouldn't recommend installing any internal UPS application on your home pc. UPS runs an extremely tight and controlled network environment and their apps are not designed to be run in the wild. If you install AT&T global dialer on your home pc and it screws it up, you won't get any UPS support. There are 2 possible ways to get into the UPS network remotely: use the remote access website (and get email via webmail) or use your UPS issued laptop to vpn into the UPS network (and you can use Outlook on your UPS laptop).

ImpactedTSG

I wouldn't recommend installing any internal UPS application on your home pc. UPS runs an extremely tight and controlled network environment and their apps are not designed to be run in the wild. If you install AT&T global dialer on your home pc and it screws it up, you won't get any UPS support. There are 2 possible ways to get into the UPS network remotely: use the remote access website (and get email via webmail) or use your UPS issued laptop to vpn into the UPS network (and you can use Outlook on your UPS laptop).
You forgot getting the Cisco VPN client and creating a tunnel-group on the ASA/PIX (whichever they are using now). Then you can just VPN in and set your outlook up to whatever exchange server your e-mail account resides on. :)

LV_TSC

Going Green!
I avoid MS software whenever possible... you can always use web mail :)
Especially since everyone is being migrated to the new exchange server, people are getting bumped up to 100mb mailboxes.

I avoid MS software whenever possible... you can always use web mail :)
Especially since everyone is being migrated to the new exchange server, people are getting bumped up to 100mb mailboxes.

What version of exchange does UPS run in production? Are they on e2k7 yet? And finally getting to 100 mb mailboxes?? That's still pretty lame considering every free webmail service these days gives away at least a gig or 2 of email space. PST's are such a security risk (emails with sensitive info) and PITA to maintain (easy to corrupt, 2 gig limit). Some companies have policies against using PST's but UPS seems to encourage it.

ImpactedTSG

What version of exchange does UPS run in production? Are they on e2k7 yet? And finally getting to 100 mb mailboxes?? That's still pretty lame considering every free webmail service these days gives away at least a gig or 2 of email space. PST's are such a security risk (emails with sensitive info) and PITA to maintain (easy to corrupt, 2 gig limit). Some companies have policies against using PST's but UPS seems to encourage it.
A few reasons to use PST files:

1. TSG has no idea how to do it any other way
2. That is still one thing that is done locally so why would they switch
3. Some UPS buildings do not have the bandwith to support OWA or RPC over HTTP and storing all exchange mailboxes on the servers in Jersey.

nerrollus

A few reasons to use PST files:

1. TSG has no idea how to do it any other way
2. That is still one thing that is done locally so why would they switch
3. Some UPS buildings do not have the bandwith to support OWA or RPC over HTTP and storing all exchange mailboxes on the servers in Jersey.

What are you high? The PST is the best option for our operations. People move around so much, it makes it much easier for TSG and the users to just move their PST. This moves all their email, contacts, and settings.

Are we supposed to just leave their email on the server so they have that massive 12 megs of storage? Most people would fill that up in a couple hours. With the PST they have a 2 gig limit, which most people will never reach.

What are you high? The PST is the best option for our operations. People move around so much, it makes it much easier for TSG and the users to just move their PST. This moves all their email, contacts, and settings.

Are we supposed to just leave their email on the server so they have that massive 12 megs of storage? Most people would fill that up in a couple hours. With the PST they have a 2 gig limit, which most people will never reach.

If they didn't use a PST and left everything on their exchange mailbox, then TSG would not have to move anything. They would just login from anywhere and they would have their email, contacts, etc right on their exchange mailbox.

Someone else mentioned that the 12 meg limit on mailboxes is being increased to 100 megs, which to me seems like UPS might be trying to go the route of eliminating PST's (by giving sufficient server space). However, there will always be more than enough users who never do any email housekeeping and do hit the 2 gig limit on their PST quite often. Instead of cleaning up old emails like they should, they just opt to create a new PST and proceed to fill that one up within a matter of months.

Where I work now, I have 1 gig of email storage and no PST. I can access all of my email from anywhere at any time.

ImpactedTSG

Do you have any experience with back end (server-side) MS Exchange administration?

ImpactedTSG

If they didn't use a PST and left everything on their exchange mailbox, then TSG would not have to move anything. They would just login from anywhere and they would have their email, contacts, etc right on their exchange mailbox.

Someone else mentioned that the 12 meg limit on mailboxes is being increased to 100 megs, which to me seems like UPS might be trying to go the route of eliminating PST's (by giving sufficient server space). However, there will always be more than enough users who never do any email housekeeping and do hit the 2 gig limit on their PST quite often. Instead of cleaning up old emails like they should, they just opt to create a new PST and proceed to fill that one up within a matter of months.

Where I work now, I have 1 gig of email storage and no PST. I can access all of my email from anywhere at any time.
The difference in your post and nerollous's post shows the amount of IT knowledge of TSG techs vs. techs in the real world. As you stated, the local PST file is a very outdated practice. It is better to have a local OST file and use RPC over HTTP. Then only new e-mails need downloaded. Plus you get the safety of having the OST file synchronize with the exchange server so if the local hard drive crashes, years of e-mails are not lost.